Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    X MEN FIRST CLASS (Spoilers!!)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

X MEN FIRST CLASS (Spoilers!!)
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
I have to admit that if i was a manufacturer of cards i would never make a set based on one film before it even comes out no matter how good everybody said it was going to be.

This is key. While fans might have declared this would be an awesome movie based just on trailers, a trading card set would have been months in the making based on nothing but fan opinion. Sure, in this case, it turns out they may have been wrong to not make a set, but look at Green Hornet. With X-Men, it's possible a set can be made now that the movie looks to be a hit.

Posts: 486 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Was the Green Hornet movie a flop ?

I see on the internet that to date it has grossed only 97 M at the U.S. box office, which is not very impressive at all for an action film. Even Watchmen did better than that, and I am sure that Thor has surpassed it already in just 2-3 weeks

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:

I see on the internet that to date it has grossed only 97 M at the U.S. box office, which is not very impressive at all for an action film. Even Watchmen did better than that, and I am sure that Thor has surpassed it already in just 2-3 weeks

My sentence structure was a bit convoluted but that was my point. Rittenhouse made an expensive card set for the Green Hornet and the movie turned out to be a stupid comedy with a few nice action scenes.

Posts: 486 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Didn't Rittenhouse just do a mini-set, or did they do a full blown card set ?

Who would've guessed Seth Rogen as the Hornet. I still see him only as Ken on "Freaks and Geeks."

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I loved The Green Hornet. I thought it was very funny, and the action scenes were great. I am glad a set was produced for it.

If I owned a card company and had the opportunity to do an X-Men First Class set, I would gladly put my money into it. I actually thought the movie was going to suck, and was pleasantly surprised by it, much like Thor actually. Had very low expectations going into both films and ended up enjoying them.

Posts: 131 | Location: USA | Registered: June 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Didn't Rittenhouse just do a mini-set, or did they do a full blown card set ?

You have to read some of the comments RA made in a couple of threads to get a sense of how screwed up this product must have been for them. The movie opening kept getting delayed and the studio finally dumped it in January, which is the worst time for any film to be successful. I think it was intended to be a traditional product until RA started to scale it back because pre-orders were so low and the movie itself was getting no support.

Then it turned out to be an action/comedy or a comedy/action, however you want to look at it, with no great special effects because Green Hornet was not a superhero after all. Its not that it was a bad film, just that no one was really interested in the concept or the stars.

This is why card manufacturers have to be really careful about what film licenses to go after. They can lose a lot of time and money on a dud, its better to pass on 2 winners than get stuck with a Spirit.

Posts: 10372 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
quote:

I passed on the Green Hornet, for a multitude of reasons.
1} Seth Rogen as the Green Hornet ? Doesn't work for me. That's why it's #1.
2} injecting comedy into the story when there was none in the old TV shows {I didn't read the comics}, but from what I remember...the G.H. was a very serious dude.
3} parts of the trailer made me a bit perturbed...
a}Seth Rogan asked Kato, "What's this?" Kato replies, "a gas gun." So what do the writers do? Have the actor look down the barrel of the gun and pull the trigger. And the gas goes off and Seth is down for the count. Funny? Maybe, but I think not. As a licensed gun owner, since I was a kid, that has to be the most irresponsible thing to show kids. It just irked me.
b} their driving their car, with the James bond license plate-flippy thing, then run a red light, red light camera snaps a pic, then they destroy said camera with a missile. Yes, A MISSILE. So, in other words. You launch a 10 thousand dollar missile system, at a 2 thousand dollar camera, to save on getting a hundred dollar traffic ticket ? That calls for a WTF.
c} Seth Rogen's character hears about his father's death, while driving in his limo ? Shouldn't the authorities have contacted him before the news agency aired such a horrific event ? One would think he has a cell phone, his limo must have a cell phone, the driver, his date ?

If I can poke big holes in a 60 second trailer...how many more holes will there be in the film?

When it comes on HBO....then I might give it a look.......might.

As for the new X-Men movie....I'll have to check it out.

Posts: 1319 | Location: Rhode Island USA 02889 | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Then it turned out to be an action/comedy or a comedy/action, however you want to look at it, with no great special effects because Green Hornet was not a superhero after all. Its not that it was a bad film, just that no one was really interested in the concept or the stars.

This is why card manufacturers have to be really careful about what film licenses to go after. They can lose a lot of time and money on a dud, its better to pass on 2 winners than get stuck with a Spirit.

Well said. I saw The Green Hornet and while entertaining, it is not something I would want to see ever again. It would have been so much better as a noir detective story than yet another Seth-Rogan-shouts comedy. The Spirit is a great example of the risks of making trading cards. This X-Men movie looked childish in the trailers and until the first critics chimed in I can't believe anyone thought it was going to be a GOOD movie.

quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
2} injecting comedy into the story when there was none in the old TV shows {I didn't read the comics}, but from what I remember...the G.H. was a very serious dude.

This along with your other points... I like Seth Rogan. I think the direction this movie went, and with him, completely missed the point.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
Note: I never stated that I didn't like Seth Rogen. I just thought he wasn't the right choice for this movie. I liked him in that movie "Knocked Up."

Posts: 1319 | Location: Rhode Island USA 02889 | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of riddickfan
posted Hide Post
The X-Men movie was great. I would have bought cards based on it-for sure! If you haven't seen it watch for a very cool cameo-I won't tell! Thumb Up

Posts: 1491 | Location: Panama City Beach,FL | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of SciFiMom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by riddickfan:
The X-Men movie was great. I would have bought cards based on it-for sure! If you haven't seen it watch for a very cool cameo-I won't tell! Thumb Up

Agreed! Dance Clap Bouncey Metal

Posts: 3953 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: March 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I agree too! X MEN: FIRST CLASS is a great movie. I hope it keeps the franchise going, although there was no surprise scene after the credits, which kind of dissapointed me since that would mean they were thinking of a sequel.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Elaine Perna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by riddickfan:

I just saw the movie yesterday and loved it as well. I would have loved it if they made a card set from this movie too. Smile

Posts: 2274 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
They have been talking of at least 2 sequels. But since it may be in the 70's, they might not wanted to paint themselves into a corner using actors for the tag that might not even make it into the finished film.
Also remember that these films are not connected to the other Marvel films, like Thor, Cap, and Ironman. Disney has said that Spider-man and the X men are kind of off on their own for the time being.

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Cline:
Also remember that these films are not connected to the other Marvel films, like Thor, Cap, and Ironman. Disney has said that Spider-man and the X men are kind of off on their own for the time being.

What it boils down to essentially is that X-Men is by Fox, and Spider-man is by Sony. The rest of the movies that are working together (Incredible Hulk, Capt. America, Iron Man, Thor, Avengers [of course]) are by Paramount, Universal, and Disney.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
I saw "X-Men First Class" today and I thought it was pretty darn good movie. Almost to the point of being very good movie, but what stopped it from being very good movie was a historically inacurate action that wasn't shown. And there was also a pretty big continuity error, too. {SPOILER ALERT!}

The film never showed the US fleet shooting a warning shot in front of the Soviet cargo vessel. It also never addressed the missiles that were already deployed on some of the Cuban launch facilities. I know it's not really a big deal because it's sci fi, but I notice inconsistencies like this all the time. Sorry. LOL

Now for the continuity error {if you didn't see the movie, stop reading}. When Eric is finally going to get his revenge on Kevin Bacon {sorry I forget his characters name}, Professor Xavier is doing his "freezing thing" on K.Bacon. Now, Eric is going to put the coin through the head of the man that shot his mother, and Prof. X knows he's going to do it, so my question is....why doesn't Prof. X unfreeze K. Bacon so he's not killed by Eric ? The scene was pretty wild and Prof. X's anguish feeling the guys death, in slow mo too, was pretty intense. But as it was happening that's all I kept thinking about...'unfreeze him and he'll get out of the way'or at least he might try.

Overall a good summer flick to see on a sultry afternoon. Plus finding a free movie pass in my junk drawer helps a lot, too.

Tomorrow "Super 8" comes out. I would like to see it, but after what Jar Jar Abrams did to my beloved Star Trek.....I don't know ?

I bought a "Green Lantern" soda cup. I should say mega cup! I thought it was lenticular, but it's not. Five bucks, too. Thank goodness I had a free pass, ey ?

Fred

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Freddy,

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Spoiler alert! And I do mean 'spoiled'!

He didn't unfreeze him because thawed out bacon can be pretty rancid. Hope that helps!

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Mister E.
posted Hide Post
Oink, oink. Maple flavored bacon ???? Eek

Posts: 2744 | Location: Haverhill, Ma. U.S.A. | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
Now for the continuity error {if you didn't see the movie, stop reading}.

A good idea when posting spoilers is to select that section of the text and make it white.

Thusly:
It was all a dream!

- Nicnac

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
Cards would have been nice for this movie.