Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    wanting to get some sketches commissioned
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

wanting to get some sketches commissioned
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone around here do commissions, of shall we say, the inexpensive variety? Looking to get 9 Marvel characters from a few different artists (i'm working towards a set).

In total i was hoping to get a set of 45 done. Perhaps 3 or 6 would be better, but i thought i may run out of artists working in my meager budget.

Posts: 88 | Location: Australia | Registered: June 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Chrisahend
posted Hide Post

Posts: 869 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: November 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cheers. Looks like though they are all pros already commissioned by marvel, thus want some pretty decent cash. Not saying it isnt worth it, but over $1000 for 45 cards is way way over my budget

Posts: 88 | Location: Australia | Registered: June 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
What Chris said, there's several at $10 per card. I have sent you an email with more specific suggestions.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cheers guys. I guess i will go ahead and get the blanks with template made up. Is 14pt a decent card thickness?

Picture of wgf351
posted Hide Post
I recently commissioned these two artists for skecth cards. They were both fast and the cards came out awesome.

Nestor Celario
http://jesterretsej.deviantart.com/

Jayson Kretzer
http://jayson-kretzer.deviantart.com/

Here are the cards they did for me...
Thor & The Crow

Thor & vs Juggs

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wgf351,

Posts: 111 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
wow nice stuff there. Seems some of the ones i like are around $15, however there definitely seems to be some good ones at $10 so i will start there. I originally didnt even budget for 10 but that is looking unrealistic. Perhaps i should revise down from 45 to 36 cards for now.

Picture of wgf351
posted Hide Post
Don't be afraid to ask for a deal. You might be able to save a bit more.

Posts: 111 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andy28:
Cheers guys. I guess i will go ahead and get the blanks with template made up. Is 14pt a decent card thickness?

I take it you are wanting the same background for all. Artists will have card stock so you don't need to provide blanks. You should check with a couple of the artists about the card thickness. You also need to worry about the material, some blanks are hard for artists to work with.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am going to get my own "blanks" printed up with a template. A logo and a thin border on the front, and similar on the back with some additional text (character and artist name will also go on the back).

someone recommended this site

http://www.versicolorproductions.com/index.php

so if they ship to Australia it seems like the premium stock will be good.

Do you think i should aim for the same background for set cohesion? Or maybe no background?

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
Don't shy away from Scoundrel artists. Although the work is always high-end, it doesn't mean the price is. Almost every artist have deals going on at some point. I got this 4 card piece of art (way too good to be called a sketch) for $40 in. p&p. Superb value Thumb Up

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of wgf351
posted Hide Post
Nice one Graham. I forgot about Darren Chandler. This is one he did for me...

He was recently only charging $10 a card.

posted Hide Post
Does anyone know if its possible to search Deviant art for artists currently offering commissions?

Also are there any more recommendations for artists currently at $10 a card?

Picture of wgf351
posted Hide Post
Here's a link to a Deviant group called Sketch Card Artists. If you like a more cartoony style, Josh Lyman was doing cheap sketch cards awhile back.

posted Hide Post
thanks for that i will take a look!