Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    What does everyone think about Viceroy?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What does everyone think about Viceroy?
 Login/Join

NSU Elf
posted
I don't see a whole lot of talk regarding Viceroy cards. What is everyone's opinion of them.

I personally like their releases and the quality that you get for the price point. Hopefully in the future they will be able to start using licensed topics.

I will be breaking three cases of Insectae and four or five of the Deep.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Based on the breaks I've seen I think they put out a pretty nice product, but they are aiming for a very narrow niche. . .

I picked up the autograph cards from Cryptids. . . Tried to order Space, but wasn't able to order because of how quickly it sold out.

I am only marginally interested in the 2 new sets. . . If I had been able to order Space I probably would have ordered some of these sets, but as it stands I don't have a single Viceroy sketch and the topic of these sets isn't compelling enough for me to start ordering.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
Based on the breaks I've seen I think they put out a pretty nice product, but they are aiming for a very narrow niche. . .

I picked up the autograph cards from Cryptids. . . Tried to order Space, but wasn't able to order because of how quickly it sold out.

I am only marginally interested in the 2 new sets. . . If I had been able to order Space I probably would have ordered some of these sets, but as it stands I don't have a single Viceroy sketch and the topic of these sets isn't compelling enough for me to start ordering.

That is the problem with not having any licenses. The subject matter is very limited. I have talked with them and they have a few more ideas that don't require a license. One of which will be AWESOME if they do it.

They are still a new company so hopefully after they have some more releases they will branch out and pick up a license. The only thing is that you don't want to get too big and sacrifice quality.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Joshua Werner's Crytids sketches are still the most imaginative sketches I've seen...I love the journal book theme he did, but they became too hard to find...I had 12 of them at one time. I do like the thick card stock they used for the sketch cards as well (at least on that set).

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
Picture of monkeymcgee
posted Hide Post
I was a big fan of the Space product--I put together an artist set of that. Not been really that interested in Carnival or the two upcoming products, but I really like the thick stock sketch cards and the inventive inserts they come up with. I'll be keeping an eye on their future products.

Posts: 2 | Location: VA | Registered: October 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Batjay
posted Hide Post
I have yet to open any of their product. I found out about the space series after the fact and was too late. I'm really looking forward to the new series The Deep. Already have a couple of packs ordered. Wish I could afford more. The ocean theme really interests me. I like that they don't have any licenses. I think it allows them explore themes that don't get a lot of coverage. It adds a little bit of freshness to the sea of license product. I'll definitely be looking out for their future releases.

Posts: 34 | Location: United States | Registered: April 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
In general I really like their products. I bought a box of Cyptids when they were first released and a couple boxes of Space. All of the sketches were nice and I really like the thick card stock that they use.

The other thing I liked about those two sets were the insert cards with the subject-related postage stamps on the back. The space stamps were especially cool. Thumb Up

I had no interest in their Carnival set but may pick up a box or so of The Deep. I think that for the quality of sketch you generally find and the interesting inserts, the box is priced just about right. I also like that the don't do licensed products as it gives them the freedom to try new and different subjects. My 0.02. Wink

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Lovemesomecards
posted Hide Post
I have not purchased any of their products.

I missed out on Space set which was really interesting idea. I have ordered 3 boxes of The Deep and 3 boxes of Insectae. I did buy a Space sketch at the Chicago Non-sports Show and I kind of wish I would have bought the stamps too.

I hope that the Insectae set will be coming out soon.

Posts: 749 | Location: Rockford,Illinois | Registered: July 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lovemesomecards:
I have not purchased any of their products.

I missed out on Space set which was really interesting idea. I have ordered 3 boxes of The Deep and 3 boxes of Insectae. I did buy a Space sketch at the Chicago Non-sports Show and I kind of wish I would have bought the stamps too.

I hope that the Insectae set will be coming out soon.

I heard that Insectae is a week behind and scheduled to come out on the 26th. I hope that I get it before Thanksgiving!

Picture of Doc Floyd
posted Hide Post
Really liked Space, wish I could have got more of it.

The Deep looks pretty good, just can't afford any right now.

Posts: 147 | Location: NC | Registered: October 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Chrisahend
posted Hide Post
I like that they aren't doing licensed products and are trying something different.

Posts: 869 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: November 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of wgf351
posted Hide Post
I liked the Cryptids set. The autos were a cool idea and the stamp cards were nicely done. I didn't buy any packs, but I did pick up a few sketches. I've passed on everything since. The Deep looks interesting though.

Posts: 111 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
Insectae will be coming out in a few days and they made poker chips as one of the card sets. Can't wait to open some up!

And for all of you promo collectors there is a promo poker chip that was made. I was told they didn't make very many of them.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Viceroy have a Black Friday sale on! Well worth a look as their products are seriously underrated in my opinion.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Batjay
posted Hide Post
Couldn't resist the sale, although the credit card probably wishes I had. My case of The Deep is ordered. Now to wait patiently for it to arrive many weeks from now when it releases. I'm really looking forward to this set. Smile

Posts: 34 | Location: United States | Registered: April 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I just found out about Viceroy last week. I like that they are doing science-themed sets. Yeah, it's "narrow-niche"/limited interest but this is the kind of company collectors should try to support especially anyone who has complained about the oversliced franchise sets.

I hope Insectae and The Deep sell out so Viceroy will make more - maybe a prehistoric animal set or one on animals that have gone extinct in the last 100 years.

quote:
Originally posted by ifish73:
I don't see a whole lot of talk regarding Viceroy cards. What is everyone's opinion of them.

I personally like their releases and the quality that you get for the price point. Hopefully in the future they will be able to start using licensed topics.

I will be breaking three cases of Insectae and four or five of the Deep.

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post