Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bronze or Gold
 Login/Join

Picture of BM Collectibles
posted
Opinions?

Posts: 44 | Location: north pole | Registered: August 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
do you have a known bronze or gold to put next to it? that's the only way I can distinguish on the Superman holo sets.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not of the same series. I am sure they are bronze. If you were looking at them you would likely agree. The problem is that scans don't do colors justice sometimes. If you compare ebay ones, they all look different.

Bob

quote:
Originally posted by tangent:
do you have a known bronze or gold to put next to it? that's the only way I can distinguish on the Superman holo sets.

Posts: 44 | Location: north pole | Registered: August 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about this. X-Men 2 gold holo and Marvel Masterpieces ?? holo. No retouches done to the scan.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
If I had to choose I would call it Gold, but as you say colors in scans are deceiving.

Do you remember when the first Rainbow Refractor cards came out for sports. When held in the light the Rainbow Refractor was supposed to have a rainbow sheen in its background and, because it was a premium insert, it was valued at about 2 1/2 times the price of its regular Refractor card. The problem was, half the time nobody could pick up the rainbow or they saw it in the regular Refractor card. It was pretty funny watching dealers trying to convince near sighted buyers that they really had a Rainbow Refractor. Big Grin

Refractors in later sets came with the word Refractor added to the card to avoid the confusion and mistakes. Wink

Thankfully the technology of card manufacturing has improved, but shades like bronze, gold, silver, platinum are still hard to distinguish, even in hand, unless you have other cards of all the different colors to compare against.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm still thinking Bronze myself. I have a few of these and I just can't call them gold. Even reviewing the scan I just posted it does not look the same as the card.

And boy oh boy I sure do remember the days of the first refractors. It took me so long to get tuned in, but once I was, there was no mistaking them. I could spot them at a show from the other side of the auditorium with my eyes closed. ha ha

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
If I had to choose I would call it Gold, but as you say colors in scans are deceiving.

Do you remember when the first Rainbow Refractor cards came out for sports. When held in the light the Rainbow Refractor was supposed to have a rainbow sheen in its background and, because it was a premium insert, it was valued at about 2 1/2 times the price of its regular Refractor card. The problem was, half the time nobody could pick up the rainbow or they saw it in the regular Refractor card. It was pretty funny watching dealers trying to convince near sighted buyers that they really had a Rainbow Refractor. Big Grin

Refractors in later sets came with the word Refractor added to the card to avoid the confusion and mistakes. Wink

Thankfully the technology of card manufacturing has improved, but shades like bronze, gold, silver, platinum are still hard to distinguish, even in hand, unless you have other cards of all the different colors to compare against.

NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
From the picture that is a gold. The Bronze are darker. I have a scan of the Venom with gold and bronze next to each other. When I get home tonight I will post it so you can see them next to each other. I can't tell you how many I have bought over the years from ebay and get the gold instead of the bronze. They are difficult to tell apart.

Do you have a lot of these? I still need three bronze to finish my set.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking you are correct. In one light they look bronze and in another they look gold. I have mailed one to someone that has both version. I guess that will tell me for sure.

Bob

quote:
Originally posted by ifish73:
From the picture that is a gold. The Bronze are darker. I have a scan of the Venom with gold and bronze next to each other. When I get home tonight I will post it so you can see them next to each other. I can't tell you how many I have bought over the years from ebay and get the gold instead of the bronze. They are difficult to tell apart.

Do you have a lot of these? I still need three bronze to finish my set.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Looks gold from the scan

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
Here is a scan of the two side by side. You can see that they ar very similar but the one on the right is darker.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can't tell from terrible scans/pictures.

Posts: 121 | Location: London | Registered: July 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DeathStorm:

You hurt my feelings! Frown

posted Hide Post
I.m still going to wait until I have both in my hand. When I look ifish's pictures and compare it to the one I have, mine look bronze. I'll get back to you.

quote:

posted Hide Post
GOLD it is ---------Frown

quote:
Originally posted by BM Collectibles:
I.m still going to wait until I have both in my hand. When I look ifish's pictures and compare it to the one I have, mine look bronze. I'll get back to you.

quote: