Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    How many people are on Card Talk?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many people are on Card Talk?
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted
I'm sitting here having a boring Sunday riffling through all posts on Card Talk and suddenly had a whim as to try and calculate how many people actually are there on card talk.

So I counted the last 50 "views" and divided the total by 48 effectively ignoring the Identi-card thread and the My James Bond Collection thread.

This brought me to the figure of 3,880 which is the average number of viewers for each post. Now allowing that each post will be viewed by many of the same people, not to mention that any number of people will view the same post any number of times, I can fairly accurately assume that it has been a particularly futile exercise with no conclusive answer.

Oh well I managed to while away another hour or so on a boring Sunday.

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I know there are at least two, consisting of you and I. Hope that helps.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
The home page said 38 were online a moment ago. There were 4 members and 34 guests. But that's right before the McGregor-Mayweather fight.
Is that a non-sport event?

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:
The home page said 38 were online a moment ago. There were 4 members and 34 guests. But that's right before the McGregor-Mayweather fight.

I have no idea as I don't follow blood sports. It is however a totally pointless event if ever I'd heard of one.

@ cardaddict At an average of 3,800 per post there must be more than just the two of us, either that or you are reading every post 3,799 times!!

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Wave Big Grin

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It is technically a non-sport event if you follow the Promo Card Encyclopedia's practice of including cards promoting sports cards/sporting events not traditionally considered to have trading cards associated with them (i.e. any sport other than baseball, basketball, hockey, auto racing, or American football). The original author/compiler of the guide, Todd Jordan, wanted to provide a home to promo cards that might otherwise slip through the cracks in coverage of sports card guides, especially when they are longer the "hot thing."

quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
It is technically a non-sport event if you follow the Promo Card Encyclopedia's practice of including cards promoting sports cards/sporting events not traditionally considered to have trading cards associated with them (i.e. any sport other than baseball, basketball, hockey, auto racing, or American football). The original author/compiler of the guide, Todd Jordan, wanted to provide a home to promo cards that might otherwise slip through the cracks in coverage of sports card guides, especially when they are longer the "hot thing."
[/QUOTE]

Regardless of where he may have decided to list promos, and regardless of whether you approve of it or not, Boxing has always been considered a sport as far as I know. Its the art of self-defense, similar to fencing or archery or target shooting. All are sports in the Olympic Games.

Wrestling is the murky one that is still a legitimate sport in schools and the Olympics, but has turned into grand entertainment on the WWE level. So Wrestling cards fall into the non-sport category, if they fall into any category at all.

As for the topic at hand, I would think that the Admins might be able to find the number of members who have signed up over the years. If some of that may have been purged, its reasonable to assume that the database knows how many member passwords remain active. However that wouldn't mean they are still posting or even reading, they could have stopped long ago. Same thing with many people who may always be reading, but never signed up as members. They won't be counted at all. They just appear as guests, or would appear as guests until they sign in with their member password.

So even if you could get an official number for the people with active passwords on Card Talk, it would never be an accurate number for the people using it. It wouldn't include the guests, and it will include who knows how many people who have left the hobby and haven't been here in a very long time.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Obviously boxing is a sport. I have seen a lot of it including last night's fight. I tried it as a teenager and quickly learned that if I didn't keep my hands up, I got hit in the face several times.

It appeared that HeroesforHire was making a joke. I just made a half-joke to answer. thinking anyone on the forum also collecting boxing cards, though not necessarily promo cards, might want to know that the last edition (PCE2008) lists a number of boxing promo cards - some perhaps not included in even the Beckett guide (I'd have to check).

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:

Regardless of where he may have decided to list promos, and regardless of whether you approve of it or not, Boxing has always been considered a sport as far as I know. Its the art of self-defense, similar to fencing or archery or target shooting. All are sports in the Olympic Games.

Wrestling is the murky one that is still a legitimate sport in schools and the Olympics, but has turned into grand entertainment on the WWE level. So Wrestling cards fall into the non-sport category, if they fall into any category at all.

As for the topic at hand, I would think that the Admins might be able to find the number of members who have signed up over the years. If some of that may have been purged, its reasonable to assume that the database knows how many member passwords remain active. However that wouldn't mean they are still posting or even reading, they could have stopped long ago. Same thing with many people who may always be reading, but never signed up as members. They won't be counted at all. They just appear as guests, or would appear as guests until they sign in with their member password.

So even if you could get an official number for the people with active passwords on Card Talk, it would never be an accurate number for the people using it. It wouldn't include the guests, and it will include who knows how many people who have left the hobby and haven't been here in a very long time.[/QUOTE]

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
According to the home page there were 52 online with 7 of theme being members just moments ago.

I was curious so I did search of post made since July 1. In that almost 2 months of time, there were about 1,400 posts made. Then I tried to count the number of members that made posts during that time frame and it was about ... 140 members made posts over the last 2 months Eek

Btw, don't try that while tried, it becomes a daunting task to go through 70 pages of posts. I started to see things Elephant

Given that there's tends to be a large member to guest ratio online, I'd guess there could be anywhere between 500 to 1,500 collectors looking at Card Talk over the course of a month but not posting.

But I'm not a mathematician. I just collect cards so I'm probably way off on that guess Thumb Up

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AWR
posted Hide Post
I am here (when I get a chance) - Wave

I'm sure Harris can give you a true number.

Posts: 382 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wow, 7 members and 51 guests are online right now Eek

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
It's 6:45 am and there are 4 members and 34 guests. That is a good start to the day..

Posts: 900 | Location: IL | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post