Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Bernie Sanders n Mittens
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bernie Sanders n Mittens
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted
Topps Now 2020 Election Print Run for Bernie hit 91,169.

The next highest were Kamala Harris and Amanda Gorman at 17,016 and 14,716.

None of the other 18 cards broke 10,000.

https://www.topps.com/archive/...ps-nowr-archive.html

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Who are those 91,169 people? I mean they aren't card collectors because buying 1 card out of a 91,169 print run isn't getting you anywhere and the set collectors are only as many as the lowest card's print run. So I guess many just must be Bernie supporters or people so amused by the meme that they are willing to pay $10 for the card. How did they even know about it, if they don't collect cards?

If there are speculators who bought 50 card count lots, with over 90,000 cards, the joke is on them.

Personally I prefer Puss n Boots. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

If there are speculators who bought 50 card count lots, with over 90,000 cards, the joke is on them.

Personally I prefer Puss n Boots. Big Grin

Next will be a grade 10 that sells for $1000.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:

Next will be a grade 10 that sells for $1000.

Well if you're gonna put it that way, I wouldn't doubt it. Big Grin

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I personally don't understand these 'on demand' sets.

Then again I don't collect base cards or sets so I am clearly not the target market.

I did pick up a 'Topps Now' autograph of Lil Nas X -- I quite liked that concept and the card was well done. I'd like to see more of those.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AWR
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Bernie card. I also have the Dr. Fauci card TOPS Now made. I have a few others (Baseball - I'm a big Mets Fan so pick up some of the daily cards when the Mets are on it).

I like that TOPPS puts out cards daily based on current events. I doubt that there is anybody who collects them all but every once and a while a card comes along that people fine interested in, and are willing to shell out the $10.00

I do wonder where the high number of sales came from. My guess is people saw the card on social media, thought it was neat, or funny, and figured its only $10.00

Posts: 382 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AWR:
I picked up a Bernie card. I also have the Dr. Fauci card TOPS Now made. I have a few others (Baseball - I'm a big Mets Fan so pick up some of the daily cards when the Mets are on it).

I like that TOPPS puts out cards daily based on current events. I doubt that there is anybody who collects them all but every once and a while a card comes along that people fine interested in, and are willing to shell out the $10.00

I do wonder where the high number of sales came from. My guess is people saw the card on social media, thought it was neat, or funny, and figured its only $10.00

I think people figure it’s something fun and $10 is fine to spend on something once in a while. I picked up the Bernie Sanders because I thought it would make a funny birthday present to have the Internet meme actually in hand.

quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
I personally don't understand these 'on demand' sets.

Then again I don't collect base cards or sets so I am clearly not the target market.

I did pick up a 'Topps Now' autograph of Lil Nas X -- I quite liked that concept and the card was well done. I'd like to see more of those.

Maybe Topps (or other card companies) are just trying to capitalize on the moment and get a card to market while it’s still in the public’s consciousness. Take that Lil Nas X autograph card and the regular card as an example, he was in the spotlight at that time and they offer a card. Some people bought the autograph and others didn’t want to spend as much and just got the regular card. It’s a chance for fans to get a card of him even if they aren’t actually card collectors.

As for the card of Bernie Sanders, the picture was a meme all over social media so why not include it in the set of the Presidential Inauguration and try to sell a few more sets and cards? The “on demand” concept works well on these types on “moments” instead of waiting to make it into a traditional card set that will take months to get it to the market.

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
The vast, vast majority of these cards (around 150k over the entire 9 card set) cost about $4 each (plus tax, but with free shipping) as they can be purchased 20 for $80. Beyond that, Topps has a rewards program whose points can be used only on ToppsNow cards, no matter what you may have purchased on the Topps website to accumulate them. The result of that is many of those points go towards coupons used on sets like these.

For example, I used a $20 coupon on a full set of 9, so I got it for about $37 with tax, or about $4 per card. A new wrinkle driving additional sales of them this year are parallel numbered versions issued randomly in the run. In the case of this set, the parallels are out of /46 and /1 and replace a regular card in an order they are found in.

Any of those would be significantly more valuable than a regular version. The 1/1 Bernie was found almost immediately. It's my understanding it's listed for sale now (where, I'm not sure) as is the 1/1 version of the Dr. Fauci card that was issued to great fanfare at the start of last baseball season. It sold 50k+ copies obliterating the record for sales up to that point, and was the standard until the Sanders card nearly doubled that number.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chesspieceface -- thanks for the info, that's really interesting.

I wonder if something similar happened with the Lil Nas X autograph card -- I think they were around $200 when I looked on the Topps site, but I was able to get one on eBay for like $60 on a pre-order. It seemed very odd to me at the time, and I was pretty convinced my order was going to get canceled, but it came through. I couldn't figure out why someone would sell a pre-order on a massive loss.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
The autographs were offered separately from the regular unsigned version in a rainbow fashion of different color parallels that got more expensive the lower the quantity made, and right, none were close to the price you got yours for. If the autographs had been randomly inserted in the run like the election parallels were, you can be sure the regular non-signature card would've sold multiples of the 460+ it sold. Rewards coupons can be used on the a-la-carte autographs like this, so there's still a chance your seller used a bunch and made a profit on the card, even selling it well below retail.

https://www.topps.com/archive/...ps-nowr-archive.html

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome, I had no idea this archive existed, thanks.

I really wish they would continue the autographs.

Thinking about why I collected the autographs makes me understand why people would collect the non-autograph cards.

It is a good program for a manufacturer to be able to jump on a trend and release something quickly.

Still -- 91,000 Bernies is an impressive print run.