Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Cards at Disney World
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cards at Disney World
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Kennywood
posted
There are some fun and free things you can do to keep busy and have fun at Walt Disney World in between riding the attractions, watching the shows, and meeting the characters. Here are some favorites:

Collect Transportation Cards

Probably one of the best hidden gems at Walt Disney World are the Disney Transportation Cards. As the name implies, these are cards that represent the different modes of transportation at Walt Disney World: busses, boats, and monorails (rumor has it Minnie Vans are now on the cards too!). There is a color picture of the bus/boat/monorail on the front of the card and the back has lots of interesting information about that particular mode of transportation. You can get one (or a handful) by simply asking your bus driver/boat captain/monorail operator if they have any. Getting these can be hit or miss. Some drivers/captains have a ton, while others don’t have any. Keep asking whenever you have the opportunity to use Disney transportation.

TIP: Be on the lookout for Skyliner transportation cards as soon as they open for guests.

Cost: FREE

Play Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom

Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom is an interactive game that gives guests the opportunity to be Merlin’s apprentice and use magic to battle villains in locations throughout the Magic Kingdom. To get started, head over to the Main Street Fire House and a helpful cast member will give you an overview of the game as well as your first pack of cards and a map. You will use the map and the clues to discover portals throughout the different lands of the Magic Kingdom (except Tomorrowland) where you will use the different magic spells on each of your cards. Each card has a Disney character with different magical abilities.

TIP: It should be noted that this game can be very time consuming, so take that into account if you are a first-time park visitor.

TIP: Even if you don’t want to play the actual game, these cards are fun to collect and trade with other park guests and make great free souvenirs.

Cost: FREE (one pack per paying park guest per day and you will have to scan your MagicBand for your daily pack of cards)

Play A Pirate’s Adventure: Treasures of the Seven Seas

Another fun and interactive activity at Magic Kingdom is A Pirate’s Adventure: Treasures of the Seven Seas. The signup area is at the Crow’s Nest, a small orange building located in Adventureland next to Golden Oak Outpost food kiosk. Using your treasure map, you will search throughout Adventureland for hidden locations that you will then touch with either your MagicBand or your talisman and they will come alive. This is a super fun way to explore Adventureland and a relatively quick game to complete. The best part is that after you complete your mission, you will earn a treasure card, which is another rare and free souvenir.

TIP: Check the hours of operation for the game, as they don’t coincide with park hours.

Bonus TIP: You can get a FREE Pirates of the Caribbean FastPass if you play more than one mission.

COST: FREE

Disney Safety Cards

Similar to Disney Transportation Cards, Disney Safety Cards are an extension of Disney’s Wild About Safety website, and use The Lion King‘s Timon and Pumbaa to remind guests to stay safe at Walt Disney World. Safety card topics include staying seating in your ride vehicle, wearing sunscreen, staying hydrated, and washing your hands. In our experience, these are much harder to find than the transportation cards. As a matter of fact, we only learned about these on a whim from a security guard in Disney Springs who saw my son with the Transportation Cards. Keep asking different cast members (including security guards) if they have any or if they can point you in the right direction. They are worth collecting because a few of them are now scratch and sniff!

Cost: FREE (if you can find a cast member with them).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kennywood,

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very cool! Thank you for posting, I'll have to watch for these.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kennywood:
Play Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom

Cost: FREE (one pack per paying park guest per day and you will have to scan your MagicBand for your daily pack of cards)

The last few times I was down there they don't like to just give you a free pack every day unless you've actively been playing the game.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
Disney Shares Early Look at Christmas Party Exclusive Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom Card

It’s just about time for Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party to return to Magic Kingdom and the Disney Parks Blog has shared an early sneak peek at this year’s party-exclusive Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom card that party attendees can pick up on party nights.

The Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom is an interactive game where guests can partner with Merlin to help conquer sly Disney Villains who are trying to take over Magic Kingdom. Guests search for villain hideouts throughout the park and visit magic portals where they use special spell cards to ward off the villain’s attack. Each spell card features a different Disney character with their own individual powers.

The game starts at the Firehouse on Main Street, U.S.A., where you can pick up your complimentary starter kit which includes spell cards and maps. Additional cards can be purchased at select merchandise locations.

According to Imagineer Jonathan Ackley,
    While gazing into his crystal ball, Merlin caught sight of the mischievous chipmunks Chip and Dale. The scampering scamps were playing a festive trick on the unwary Pluto the Pup,” he said. “When he finished laughing at their Holiday Hijinks, Merlin decided to create a magical spell in their honor. Now the Sorcerers attending Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party can learn this spell, ‘Pluto’s Toppling Popcorn.’ With it, they can defend the realm of the Magic Kingdom…deliciously!

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of make-mine-marvel
posted Hide Post
All of these are actively being collected in my personal collection, and I know way too much about them.

The Transportation Cards have had a variety of "series" because everytime a new form of Transportation is added (like the Minnie Vans), they retire the old set, and launch a new one.

I'd say the cards with highest "value" are SOTMK "Party" cards like Pluto above.

Also the parks sell SOTMK collector packs (if one free pack-a-day isn't enough), and the sold packs have some short print cards not found in the free packs.

Good luck, y'all. Let me know if anyone wants pictures. Smile

@Sketchcards on Twitter

Posts: 1817 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: June 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I'll be going to the Christmas Party this year -- is it worth chasing these down? What do I need to do just go to the firehouse and ask?

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
So if I buy these "free" cards on ebay I will probably be saving myself a ton of money! Wink

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
mykdude,

These cards are not particularly easy to get at WDW. Some of the broom sweepers, store managers, fire station operators, transportation operation supervisors, guest service clerks, and so on have the cards and some don't. They also run out of cards at given times.

It was fun to collect the cards, but it drove my family crazy. I wound finishing sets on ebay.

Posts: 900 | Location: IL | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stevetrek:
mykdude,

These cards are not particularly easy to get at WDW. Some of the broom sweepers, store managers, fire station operators, transportation operation supervisors, guest service clerks, and so on have the cards and some don't. They also run out of cards at given times.

It was fun to collect the cards, but it drove my family crazy. I wound finishing sets on ebay.

Haha sort of my point. Cheaper to pay for em than to go to Didnee Woorrrld. ;-P

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We were at the party last week and were able to pick up 2 copies of the Pluto card -- both are available for trade if anyone is chasing them.