Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    I do not collect promo cards. Am I the only one?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I do not collect promo cards. Am I the only one?
 Login/Join

NSU Elf
posted
I know tht I am in a minority when it comes to non-sport collectors that I don't collect promo cards. Curious to see if there are any others that don't collect promo cards. I do appreciate the effort that the card companies go through to give out cards to promote upcoming releases but I prefer what actually comes out of the packs.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I don't collect them, but I don't toss the ones that come my way either.

They are essential if you decide you want to make a master set sometime down the line.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
Don't toss yours out....I'll take them off your hands. Smile

Posts: 1319 | Location: Rhode Island USA 02889 | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Sci-FiPlanet
posted Hide Post
We use promo cards to gage interest in products and obviously to promote upcoming sets, but we try and make them interesting and good additions to the final product. One of the sets we are putting together at the moment may include the promos on the checklist. A lot of people don't collect them, but enough do to make the production worth while. From a company point of view if you look at them and remember the product we are winning, even if you don't keep the card.

I think Billy's recent Bettie Page set used promo cards exceptionally well to build interest in a product over a longer period of time.

Posts: 884 | Location: UK | Registered: October 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
I don't collect them for the sake of promo collecting. I only collect them if they're part of a set I'm interested in. I just gave away a ton of promos to a friend, who will definitely have more use for them than I.

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Stargaterules
posted Hide Post
The sad fact of my collection is i only collect Autograph cards .. ( Unless it is stargate )

Posts: 91 | Location: Florida | Registered: December 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stargaterules:
The sad fact of my collection is i only collect Autograph cards

Same goes for me. Though I may pursue the occasional prop card....if it's just too cool to not own. I'm sorry to say I have zero interest in promos, base sets, sketches, or any other types of chase.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stargaterules:
The sad fact of my collection is i only collect Autograph cards .. ( Unless it is stargate )

The sad fact about my collection is that i collect everything.

If it doesn't move, collect it. Big Grin

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find promos a waste of time and paper.dont think they are needed in this day and age!!

Posts: 182 | Location: runcorn | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markdennett:
I find promos a waste of time and paper.dont think they are needed in this day and age!!

I agree!! Thumb Up

Posts: 174 | Location: Liverpool | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
For all those people who do not like promos my address is wolfie c/o the cave Big Grin

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Mister E.
posted Hide Post
Where's ..............Captain Caveman ????????????????? I want/need promos........ Big Grin Metal

Posts: 2744 | Location: Haverhill, Ma. U.S.A. | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markdennett:
The same argument could very easily be applied to trading cards as a whole Big Grin With so much art being created digitally, why bother with printed cards at all ? Wink

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Joe McKinney
posted Hide Post
I haven't actively collected cards in several years. When I did my collection was almost exclusively promos.

Posts: 976 | Location: Clayton, Alabama, U.S.A | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SBelcher
posted Hide Post
There's always a delicate balance between overkill and (whatever the opposite of overkill is - its been a LONG day) when it comes to promo cards. In my opinion, there are generally too many promos for recent sets. Without naming companies or sets, I had so many promos sitting around, I took them to work and handed them out to anyone and everyone who showed the slightest bit of interest. Hope it generated some sales, but I highly doubt it made a difference.
Overall, I'd like to see a reduction in the number of promos, both in versions (P1,P2,UK,etc) and in print runs. If nothing else, it might cut a little cost to the manufacturer who can add that to their bottom lines or pass the savings on to us.
As far as my own habits, I collect promos for the specific sets I'm working on.

Posts: 281 | Location: Indiana | Registered: April 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I don't collect them, but I don't toss the ones that come my way either.

They are essential if you decide you want to make a master set sometime down the line.

That is the only time I really keep them. If I am building the set and I have them I will keep them with the set.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
To me, all promo cards issued for a set are part of the set, and therefore need to be collected.

As for overkill, I have to agree. The recent number of promos issued for the new Bettie Page set intrigued me at first, but since now it's so difficult to find or purchase the scarce ones for a reasonable price I have lost all interest in the set. (However, if I win a large amount of money in the lottery I'll get back to it)

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Now i thought the Bettie Page promo promotion was great and i have really enjoyed trying to get them all.

............and after all that i still don't have them all yet. Big Grin

Picture of dru'sgarden
posted Hide Post
What I don't keep I trade or give away.

Posts: 495 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Joe McKinney
posted Hide Post
For all practical purposes promos have become another level of chase cards.

Posts: 976 | Location: Clayton, Alabama, U.S.A | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post