Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fleer Marvel Retro?
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
. . . The interesting thing to me is that there are collectors for these sets, but it doesn't look like collectors for Retro are on either site. . . lots of people on blowout are talking about flipping the cards, but very few actually seem to be collecting them . . .

This is also true of shows. . . Lots of people show up at shows, but fewer and fewer discuss the shows on any of the boards. . .

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was almost drawn to the holograms in its initial release on ebay. However, upon seeing a clear image of the holograms, nada! Same old shiny glittering foils. I really miss those polaroid holograms.

Posts: 69 | Location: Earth | Registered: November 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
I don't have one in hand but I thought I read that the holograms were the best since the ones people liked in the 90's. ??

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by juke:
I was almost drawn to the holograms in its initial release on ebay. However, upon seeing a clear image of the holograms, nada! Same old shiny glittering foils. I really miss those polaroid holograms.

They are NOT "shiny glittering foils." They are more or less identical to the 3d holograms right before those "polaroid" ones. ...from Marvel Universe 1992, I think?

They're actually pretty nice with VERY GOOD detail, but yes, I'm still looking forward to the "polaroids" coming back as I miss seeing those "red/yellow/green/blue" color hue 3ds!

quote:
Originally posted by snoopy351:
It fascinates me to see the wildly divergent opinions from one message board to another. Two other places are raving about this release and yet here there is a lot of negativity. The same thing happened with premier really. i guess maybe UD just isn't liked here? I really can't explain it otherwise. As someone who breaks a lot of product, I will say that the collectors chiming in on the other sites about this being the product of the year are pretty spot on.

To be accurate, there was a TON of negativity both at Blowout and Scoundrel. Sure there was positive here and there but the vast majority didn't sing success until those Precious Metals started firing for $200+. Nevertheless, nice call by those who were in the minority thinking the $175 a box "insert-driven" product would be a success.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BHotz,

Posts: 14 | Location: Indiana, USA | Registered: April 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
I knew that I wouldn't be getting any of this as it didn't fit my collecting style and wallet. I hope everyone that bought into this makes a ton of money off of it. I still don't think all of these inserts translate into non-sports. I do not like the Jambalaya and Ultra Stars inserts. Most of the others do work well like Intimidation Nation and Hardware and the blue PMG's are the best of the three

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoopy351:
It fascinates me to see the wildly divergent opinions from one message board to another. Two other places are raving about this release and yet here there is a lot of negativity. The same thing happened with premier really. i guess maybe UD just isn't liked here? I really can't explain it otherwise. As someone who breaks a lot of product, I will say that the collectors chiming in on the other sites about this being the product of the year are pretty spot on.

The biggest problem is the initial buy-in price. Yeah you're flipping them and making money (hand over fist, it appears!). But small-scale collectors like myself can't even hope to afford to dip our toes in the water with a single box.

I'm glad there is a ton of money to be made on these. My only fear is this success will start a trend beyond Upper Deck and any hopes of folks like me collecting a "quality" product will require a larger up-front investment.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kane1
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't have nothing against Upper Deck (UDC) or Rittenhouse. But it isn't the 1rst time UDC use a great trading card name franchise and kill it with a bad product. Lets not forget Marvel Masterpieces.

I consider myself a comic book fan. I like to built base and basic chase/insert sets. I see sketch cards, autographs, etc as a great treasure, but it isn't my priority. But in the past years, I see some companies just making something similar like Comic Images. Just a Copy-paste of artwork. The big different is the "chase/insert" cards.

I like the original "silver" Holograms just find in Marvel Universe series, but I also enjoy the one like 1994 Amazing Spider-Man.

I saw a 20 packs box for $289 and a Master set for $350 in eBay. In my opinion not too bad compare price to box for people that like only to collect built sets. For people like myself that enjoy building my sets. It is far away of my budget.

Posts: 242 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BHotz:
To be accurate, there was a TON of negativity both at Blowout and Scoundrel. Sure there was positive here and there but the vast majority didn't sing success until those Precious Metals started firing for $200+. Nevertheless, nice call by those who were in the minority thinking the $175 a box "insert-driven" product would be a success.

You can't use Scoundrel as an example since there wasn't even a thread made until the day of release and even then I don't see a ton of negativity (a total of 9 posts of both positive and negative).

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kane1
posted Hide Post
I was reading Scoundrel. As far I saw people are happy with the Sketch Cards, and just worry about speculative high prices of the boxes and some inserts (non sketch cards). Also some discover that the sum together of the base and inserts sets makes really a big master set to built.

It is an "Art" community. I can understand their views and opinions, but I didn't see a lot of negative in that place.

Posts: 242 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BHotz:
They are NOT "shiny glittering foils." They are more or less identical to the 3d holograms right before those "polaroid" ones. ...from Marvel Universe 1992, I think?

That's exactly what I was referring to, couldn't find a better description though. They're just flat images with foil on the surface. I was hoping the hologram release would be similar to those of Superman hologram basic set, silver foiled yet you can still see some 3D in it.

Anyway, those other inserts brought my memories back when I was still collecting NBA cards. I still have a few of them.

Posts: 69 | Location: Earth | Registered: November 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post