Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
I'm Back!!

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/954605353/m/3967041786

July 05, 2017, 03:16 AM
btlfannz
I'm Back!!
Just returned from 3 weeks in the UK (32 hours sitting in an airplane!). On day two of my trip I caught the train to Wolverhampton then a taxi to visit Wolfie. He had been quite ill just before I came and had emailed me to say "don't come" However, my phone had given up the ghost at that stage and I didn't get the message so he was quite surprised to see me when I arrived. However, he brightened up considerably to see some of the cards I had brought with me and we spent a very pleasant afternoon sitting in the sun and talking cards. It occurred to me just how isolated we all are from one another and what limited opportunities there are to actually meet up and talk cards with another collector face to face. Wolfie was very generous and loaded me up with spare cards that I wanted and I gave him some albums of cards that were NZ only releases. I really enjoyed my visit and was quite sorry to have had to eventually catch a cab back to the train station and return to London. So many thanks Wolfie for a great day and maybe if you put your collection into some sort of order you'd find that you had a swag of stuff you didn't know you had (honestly, guys, you'd have to actually see the collection to appreciate what I mean!!) He's never actually mention his CD collection on this forum but let me tell you that it rivals his card collection!
Anyway, thanks again for your hospitality Wolfie.
Cheers

Sean

July 05, 2017, 04:57 AM
wolfie
Glad you had a nice time Sean, it was great to see you, thank you for the cards you gave me they are wonderful and i know you are happy with the ones i gave you.

You are more than welcome back anytime. Wavey

July 05, 2017, 07:33 AM
cardaddict
Get well soon!
May 12, 2019, 02:08 AM
catskilleagle
I have thought about that too - how isolated we are and it doesn't have to be because of an ocean. I live in California and there hasn't been a card show of any kind in perhaps 15-20 years. Even the National hasn't been this far west in that time. I think the last time was in Anaheim when I was there in the late 90's.

In March I went to a collectibles show I hadn't attended in a few years - maybe 2015. Even then, there were only two non-sports dealers and a few dealers that had some cards. This time, there was only one card dealer but all his cards were 70's or older. I managed to find a few Babylon 5/TNT promos I didn't have in a box of a dealer selling movie memorabilia.

I've seen Keith Dennis mentioned here a couple of times. He had a store in San Jose for a while in the late 90's. I used to stop there once a week after work and see him at collectibles shows. He was the guy I bought boxes from and he was my source for NSU after Borders shut down. We used to trade cards too. He moved out of state a few years ago. Occasionally, I find something at a flea market but most of my recent purchases have been online. At some point I'm going to have go to that show in Chicago or one of the Philly shows if I'm ever going to see any variety of cards for sale or just talk to someone about cards in person.

It was great to read about Card Talk members meeting somewhere with a missed message making it possible.

quote:
Originally posted by btlfannz:
Just returned from 3 weeks in the UK (32 hours sitting in an airplane!). On day two of my trip I caught the train to Wolverhampton then a taxi to visit Wolfie. He had been quite ill just before I came and had emailed me to say "don't come" However, my phone had given up the ghost at that stage and I didn't get the message so he was quite surprised to see me when I arrived. However, he brightened up considerably to see some of the cards I had brought with me and we spent a very pleasant afternoon sitting in the sun and talking cards. It occurred to me just how isolated we all are from one another and what limited opportunities there are to actually meet up and talk cards with another collector face to face. Wolfie was very generous and loaded me up with spare cards that I wanted and I gave him some albums of cards that were NZ only releases. I really enjoyed my visit and was quite sorry to have had to eventually catch a cab back to the train station and return to London. So many thanks Wolfie for a great day and maybe if you put your collection into some sort of order you'd find that you had a swag of stuff you didn't know you had (honestly, guys, you'd have to actually see the collection to appreciate what I mean!!) He's never actually mention his CD collection on this forum but let me tell you that it rivals his card collection!
Anyway, thanks again for your hospitality Wolfie.
Cheers

Sean

May 13, 2019, 07:14 PM
Heroes For Hire
Great to hear collectors getting together to talk about the hobby! Thanks for sharing Sean!
And feel better soon Wolfie!
May 13, 2019, 09:40 PM
Logan
quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:
And feel better soon Wolfie!

This thread is almost 2 years old so let's hope wolfie is all better by now. Wink Angel
May 14, 2019, 10:33 AM
wolfie
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:

This thread is almost 2 years old so let's hope wolfie is all better by now. Wink Angel

Unfortunatly i died soon after this but i decided not to tell anyone as that way they would never be sure i was not right behind them. Eek Elephant