Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Filling in old parallel sets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Filling in old parallel sets
 Login/Join

Picture of AWR
posted
Going through a bunch of my card sets in preparation for the upcoming Philly Non Sports Show. See that I have a bunch of sets where I bought 1 or 2 boxes, so have a complete base set, and some of the parallel sets (some more than others based on the odds and size of the parallel set). This got me thinking of the best way to complete some of these sets.

1. Do I by a new box and hope to get some of the cards I need? Some sets are old, so not even sure if boxes are still available, or what they would cost. Also would be a bit strange opening a box when only hoping of getting a few cards I need.

2. Do I go to the auction sites and buy either the cards I need (one at a time), or an entire set (and then what do I do with the cards I already have)?

3. Are there people out there who will trade for cards I need? I usually do not have may duplicates to trade (other than some base cards)

4. Walk around the Philly Card show with a checklist and see if somebody has some Star Wars Evolution Update Edition Etched Foil Cards, or Star Trek Cinema 2000 Dr. McCoy Tribute cards I am looking for.

How do other small time collectors like myself go about filling out there sets, or are they simply happy with what they have

Posts: 382 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of monkeyafterdark
posted Hide Post
Very similar to my thoughts on my incomplete American Horror Story parallels.
I used to go on that auction site, but didn't feel like buying whole lots with duplicates that would just be lying around. Practically no chance of trading them as I'm probably the only collector in Belgium. Am I?
Not a single card show here.

Posts: 154 | Location: Belgium | Registered: September 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
While I have never done Philly, these are the types ought cards that usually end up in my 50¢ or $1 boxes. I'm sure that a list and some time would do you well at the show as other dealers likely do the same.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
If you want cards the philly show is your best bet

Posts: 12158 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
email sent

Posts: 2604 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I, as well as plenty of other dealers set up at the Philly show, will have tons of inserts/parallels/sets/etc.
The best bet is to bring your lists and just ask.

I have also been known to fill want lists for customers who provide me with their needs before the show and I will bring the cards with me. It saves time for the customers and lets them shop for other things knowing they already have those needs covered. I am sure other dealers will do the same if asked.

Hope that helps.

Mike.

Posts: 68 | Location: NC | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post