Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Me? Gauge pricing? Never!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Me? Gauge pricing? Never!
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted
Spotted this an hour or so ago. Let me get this right - you buy a $1.50 card of me - I charge you $73.92.......yup! seems OK to me!

New listing STAR WARS RIC OLLIE 1998 TOPPS GALAXY COLLECTOR PROMO CARD #SW4

NZD1.51
Buy It Now
+NZD73.92 shipping

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems like someone is trying to avoid eBay fees, since they only base fees on sale price and not shipping costs.

Posts: 29 | Location: Bonaire, GA | Registered: November 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Capt Jon1:
Seems like someone is trying to avoid eBay fees, since they only base fees on sale price and not shipping costs.

Ebay charges fees on the postage costs in the UK, is it different in other countries ?

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Capt Jon1:

Shipping price has been included in the eBay fees for several years now, which stinks for a seller. But some sellers were taking advantage of it the old way, when it was fees on the sale price only, so I don't know what the answer is. Years ago I remember seeing someone sell a $500 card for "Buy It Now" $.99 and then charge $499 shipping just to avoid the seller fees. So I don't blame eBay for doing something about that. I'm just not sure what they did is the proper solution. Shake Head

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't sold anything for a while on eBay, so I may be mistaken about that. I would bet eBay did fix it as well.

Posts: 29 | Location: Bonaire, GA | Registered: November 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here is one for you USA to Canada 8x10 pisture $21 postage $193.54 E Bays G S P it is getting more ridiculous by the minute sellers dont care thy are only paying local shipping and from all replies etc nobody really cares only the one person having to pay these costs if him her really wants the item we are never going to get a unified movement against it in the collecting fraternity so you get what you did not ask for and that is getting ripped off for shipping happy co0llecting

Posts: 759 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piko:
Here is one for you USA to Canada 8x10 pisture $21 postage $193.54 E Bays G S P it is getting more ridiculous by the minute sellers dont care thy are only paying local shipping and from all replies etc nobody really cares only the one person having to pay these costs if him her really wants the item we are never going to get a unified movement against it in the collecting fraternity so you get what you did not ask for and that is getting ripped off for shipping happy co0llecting

I'm getting kind of lost here. Was this signed 8x10 in any way worth close to $214.54? Some autographs could be that high if the signer is very tough and it has been certified by an authentication service. So then it would be a way around selling it for its true price and incurring the fee.

But if it was a only $21 autograph, and the seller can't send to Canada for less, why even list it? Why not just say no international buyers? Its not a matter of trying to rip someone off, nobody in their right mind would buy a $20 item with $193 shipping. Unless you think someone wouldn't notice the shipping? But that would be hard to believe since it must be disclosed.

If you see a seller that consistently looks like they are taking advantage of shipping to jack up the price, then I think you have a right to file a complaint with eBay, even if you don't try to buy any of it. There are always some wise guys. But if the high shipping is caused by eBay requirements, material costs and the desire of sellers to protect themselves from claims they know will go against them if made, its not a conspiracy. It hurts sellers to not be able to reach a wider market and it frustrates buyers who are left out in the cold, but its better to think of it as money saved. That's what I do when I have to pass up on something I like because of my better judgment, which is there only sometimes I'm afraid. Big Grin

Posts: 10378 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Im not familia with the details but I think it was a signed item but it goes to show how sellers can do anything they like and E Bay dont seem to care as long as they get their cut it was on the blowout forum

Posts: 759 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
This is the new sad 'norm' in the bay these days. I can honestly say for younger people these days with seller apps, Ebay is becoming that time consuming thing you Dad does to sell his stuff.

Younger people want to snap a photo, type a few keywords, sell (preferably locally or nationally for cheaper postage) and be done with it. And all with no seller fees!

The don't want typing long forms, uploading photos, paying sellers, being out priced by bigger sellers, having to over charge shipping to compensate for the cut price item.

I think we can say the likes of Ebay have had their time in the sun. I honestly don't even both except for using it as a 'price comparison site'.

As a seller I'm not getting my moneys worth between shipping costs and seller fees. Even if I jacked up the shipping price (which I don't, I often LOSE money). And after seller fees I break even or I'm out of pocket!

As a buyer I don't get a deal once shipping and any additional import charges (if applicable) are added onto the items sale price. Might as well not bother even if the item's unavailable elsewhere.

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC00:
Younger people want to snap a photo, type a few keywords, sell (preferably locally or nationally for cheaper postage) and be done with it. And all with no seller fees!

That's why Craig List is so popular, but there is always a downside to everything. Judging by the complaints I hear, more people get ripped off with Craig List offers than anywhere else.

Posts: 10378 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by TC00:

That's why Craig List is so popular, but there is always a downside to everything. Judging by the complaints I hear, more people get ripped off with Craig List offers than anywhere else.

Yeah I maybe this is a UK vs. US thing. I don't know anyone personally who's ever used Craigs List? I know people who use places (other than Ebay/Amazon) like Shpock, Vinted, GumTree and similar apps. Or Facebook groups if desperate. All to avoid dreaded added seller fees.

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post