Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Retail packs / Hobby boxes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Retail packs / Hobby boxes
 Login/Join

New Card Talk Member
posted
Hi!

I'm fairly new to collecting cards - a long time ago I would by individual piecework Buffy cards and so on but recently have been getting into the boxes (for Upper Deck MCU cards and Arrow). My biggest problem is that they can be quite expensive to get in the uk so do have to limit myself!
I've just come across the Marvel Upper Deck retail packs and have been trying to find the difference between retails packs and the boxes? Any help will be much appreciated!
Thanks!

Posts: 7 | Location: Uk | Registered: July 17, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
Retail Pack have less
Premium Hits.... Autograph Cards or Sketches . Hobby Boxes usually have at least 1 Hit per box.... Retail is more like 1 Hit per 5,000 packs...

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
If you want to be cost effective, it is much cheaper to buy the individual cards you want or to buy combined lots of cards.

Box buying is when you want a complete set of something and you feel lucky about getting a good hit. More often than not, the price you pay will be more than the sum of its parts, but every so often you may pull a big card.

There is also such a thing as a premium pack or premium box. They can cost less than a hobby box for some titles and more for others. The premium pack usually has more hits guaranteed and the premium box will have a full set and a certain number of hits without the foil packs. Some products are only made in that format.

Retail packs are good if you just want the basic cards and can be satisfied with that. Some retail boxes even have exclusive cards. Retail will tend to be overproduced for the big stores and, as stated, have long odds for any hits.

Hobby boxes will be limited, have guaranteed hits and cost more, but you have to watch the fine print. Some products have skip boxes, meaning you can get boxes without any hits or without certain kinds of hits that are in other boxes. So even with the hobby boxes, it is very important to research the product and know what you are buying before you order. Hope that helps a little.

Posts: 10415 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
also,

AVOID " HOT " PACKS on Auction Sites like the Plague...

you will get a wardrobe card or A Lovely Medallion Card for your trouble.

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
It depends on what Upper Deck retail packs you mean, the Walmart exclusives for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and Spider-Man Homecoming are great and the entire sets are different than the hobby versions and Guardians contains exclusive memorabilia cards that are only 1 in 8 packs so they are not difficult to hit. I am enjoying collecting these more than the hobby versions as they are a fun challenge to complete but not impossible. Topps Walking Dead season 6 has hits in both Target and Walmart blaster boxes, relics in Target and autos, relics, and sketches in Walmart boxes. Not all retail has long odds so don't discount picking some up.

Posts: 5790 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your responses!
I like to try and get the set but mostly I like the suspense I suppose of not knowing what/or if hit you may get!
I'd only really come across the 'retail' packs for Upper Deck when looking at the Marvel lines line Avengers.
We don't seem to have too many options in the UK so I tend to have to buy over EBay and risk the import charge - retail packs seem to be slightly cheaper on eBay so wondered about less as customs but as I like to get as many hits as possible, I guess I will stick to the boxes
Thanks again!

Posts: 7 | Location: Uk | Registered: July 17, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
Don't forget Topps UK do some excellent Marvel Cinematic Universe cards which are good value for money.

http://nonsportupdate.infopop....5604453/m/4467086186

Posts: 1116 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
Don't forget Topps UK do some excellent Marvel Cinematic Universe cards which are good value for money.

http://nonsportupdate.infopop....5604453/m/4467086186

This is true. Thumb Up

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of <<<<ALDO_NOVA>>>>
posted Hide Post
It can get pretty costly, if you're trying to get a specific card, best bet is buying it!! I go the retail route, if I'm trying to fill a set, but the non-sport card boxes usually make a base set! You can also trade for it, but watch out for the crooks that get your card, but do not send you anything in return!

Posts: 217 | Location: Where you can't find me!!!!!! | Registered: August 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post