Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Autographs on FRONT or BACK?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Autographs on FRONT or BACK?
 Login/Join

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Well in fairness when i said the back i thought ( incorrectly ) that we were talking about sketch cards.

If this is just a normal base card with someone's art on it then i can see the auto should be on the front in a pen that shows up the signature without obscuring all the art.

I still think it should say on the back who the artist is to prevent the owner of the card not knowing from the signature.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
A base/chase card with an auto on does little for me. If they are specific autographed chase cards then I would rather see a smaller reproduction of the Art with space for the Auto.

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
For me an autographed Art card should be signed on the back and for an Autograph card it should be on the front but ultimately with an Art card how much influence do you have on the Artist autographing the card anyway bearing in mind the artwork is usually signed somewhere in the art.

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Well in fairness when i said the back i thought ( incorrectly ) that we were talking about sketch cards.

I think the original poster was talking about sketch cards. He even asks if people think it's okay for the artist to sign over their art.

For regular autographs it doesn't make sense to have the auto on the back.

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
For me 'celebrity' autographs should be on the front, and artist autographs should be on the back (so they don't distract from the art).
Au Res.,
Paul

http://www.cardcast.co.uk/
Twitter: @ukcardcast

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
Here's the original posters reply....

These have NOTHING to do with original sketch cards. I am talking about printed art chase cards that are autographed.

What he was talking about in the first post was the artist did the original art for the base card and now the card company is using that card for the autograph card.

I say have the signature on the front. I'm not concerned about covering up the art as it's fully viewable as the normal base card of the set.

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
quote:
For me 'celebrity' autographs should be on the front, and artist autographs should be on the back (so they don't distract from the art).
Au Res.,
Paul

I am with Paul on this too.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
There have been very few autograph cards released with signatures on the back of the card (Bill Ward (not intended), Boris I, Rob Liefeld (forget the release), and the Jim Lee are the only ones I recall.

I overlooked a very recent set -- Star Wars Galaxy 5 they had artist cards with the signatures on the back. I over looked 'em because few people collect 'em and they don't really have much value. Some really nice autos in this set are dirt cheap. . . I think the autographs on the back of the card decreases interest from most autograph collectors, which decreases the interest and value.

Jon

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
There have been very few autograph cards released with signatures on the back of the card (Bill Ward (not intended), Boris I, Rob Liefeld (forget the release), and the Jim Lee are the only ones I recall.

I overlooked a very recent set -- Star Wars Galaxy 5 they had artist cards with the signatures on the back. I over looked 'em because few people collect 'em and they don't really have much value. Some really nice autos in this set are dirt cheap. . . I think the autographs on the back of the card decreases interest from most autograph collectors, which decreases the interest and value.

Jon

Are you talking about the buy-back autos? The ones I got had the autograph on the front.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
quote:
quote:

Jon

Are you talking about the buy-back autos? The ones I got had the autograph on the front.

Huh, looking closer there are some of each. The one I pulled was signed on the back (didn't even notice it was signed at first). Didn't look at any others because I didn't like the design. . .

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Flag City Collectibles
posted Hide Post
I prefer the new topps format as well, one of the few things topps does right. A designed designated signature spot on the back of the card that way the artist can still do their little initials or symbol on the front.

Posts: 749 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: June 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Chrisahend
posted Hide Post
I would prefer the autograph on the front with an empty box to sign in so the artist doesn't have to sign over the art. Something similar to regular autograph cards but with the art in place of the photograph. I had to sign a bunch of base cards for the topps Chicle sets and it was difficult on some cards finding a place to sign so it could be seen.

Posts: 869 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: November 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
front is better,I have a Sports Illustrated auto card where she as signed on the back,even though the front as got the designated signing space.

same with costume,I had some comic images (Cat In The Hat,Rise Of The Machines) where it appears the material is on the back of the card,they don t really work for me either.

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post