Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Autographed cards released after the persons death...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Autographed cards released after the persons death...
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted
I see (especially with Rittenhouse) that we get new signed card releases from celebs even after their deaths. I noticed we are getting another Christopher Lee card and still seeing Leonard Nimoy cards. I understand that they get them all done in advance. I am curious about the celebrity signing process. I assume big names they try to get them to sign as many sets up front as they can for cost and logistics reasons. Curious how they have the templates for the future sets already done sometimes a few years in advance.

Posts: 526 | Location: nj | Registered: April 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well there are two parts to this subject. What you are talking about is mainly the on-card autographs from RA. Breygent and CZE also still put out on-card, but the other majors have turned to sticker autographs. With the stickers its very easy to keep perpetuating new autograph cards for deceased celebrities and you don't have to have a constant template. You don't even have to have a license or a planned project. Those stickers can be applied to any set or card format in the future. So they are good for anything until the sticker supply itself runs out.

What RA does specifically is keep the autograph card templates separate from the product design. The autographs are their own design, in essence their own sets. Some are numbered to be consecutive, even though they may not be released in consecutive products. For example that's the 40th style in Bond.

Depending on the title you have a number of descriptions/styles that apply solely to the autograph cards. Full Bleed, Bordered, Blue, WOB, Gold and Silver (signatures), just to rattle off a few.

For RA, a cross section of these styles are given to the celebrity for signing and then tucked away, sometimes for years, before they get released in a specific product from that title. Its very smart and much easier than trying to collect everybody's cards prior to the scheduled deadline for a new set and hope that the signers do them.

From a collector's standpoint I also like the uniform look of autographs cards that follow a constant design. Plus it gives collectors the opportunity to collect only their favorite design and ignore the others if they prefer. That way you can complete something without necessarily feeling the need to buy 3 and 4 copies of the same autograph.

Posts: 10420 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
I look at my older sets and like the smaller auto runs with unique designs but for massive series like Trek and Bond, consistent designs make for some deep and satisfying cast lists.

The LOTR trilogy was a nice one too using the same basic layout but with a subtle change to the background for each film.
(I really wish Topps had done a thorough run of on-card autos for Star Wars on one card style.

I think it is great RA plans so far ahead, it certainly builds my anticipation well into the future. I find it very addictive to build upon my existing auto card collection and as Raven said, it makes it easy to pick and choose and craft a collection to your specific tastes.

I do remember though, YEARS back (around 2004 when Quotable Bond was the latest set) on the RA message boards I questioned how long RA was holding onto Bond autos, it becoming obvious IMO it could be years before they drip-fed us certain cards, making the wait unbearable to collectors of a specific style. I remember people lobbing back at me that RA would NEVER hold onto cards for such a ridiculous time frame as 5+ years when they could use them now...

These days I am more patient and don't mind waiting. I just hope that whilst I imagine all the possible repeats RA loves doing, that I'm not waiting for cards that will never materialise. I say it every Bond thread but I just want a Lazenby auto with him in his blue jumpsuit - his most iconic look for that film. In the latest set we're getting his 4th full-bleed and it still hasn't happened. Still, a great thing to see another card from fan favourite Richard Kiel almost 3 years after he passed away.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post