Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Favourite autograph card under $50
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favourite autograph card under $50
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Wow, Yaphet Kotto for just $9 - an actor from "Alien" and a James Bond movie?

$7 for Kotto. A no brainer for an auto of such a great actor.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Wow, Yaphet Kotto for just $9 - an actor from "Alien" and a James Bond movie?

That one is a sale that would get thrown out by a price guide as being too low for a normal range. Kotto shouldn't be traded at the cost of a common signer in any "titled" Alien or Bond product. However it was a UD sticker autograph card and I wouldn't be surprised if someone didn't get it in ePacks and just dumped it. Same thing with Bill Paxton, never at $27.

But to try to explain those Bond signers of Seymour, Bean, Seydoux at $36 and Marceau for $43? Man, I don't care what year that was, I wish I knew that seller!

Not sure if this was on the UK market or not, but over the years I have often noticed lower pricing on a lot of the better signed cards trading from UK sellers, as compared to what US sellers wanted for the same ones. I don't know if its because they think the UK market is smaller with less demand or if US buyers would rather stay domestic, both are probably true, but at times I have seen much better values from international sellers, while I have not taken advantage if it.[/QUOTE]

You say that about Kotto, but his auto is "common" in the Alien set. There are two on COMC right now (where I got mine), for about $16... and you can still put a lower offer in! The ePack crowd do dump stuff but the Kotto card has been available for 4 years now.

Paxton was purchased in 2016. Maybe six months after the Anthology set came out and the initial high priced panic buyers had bought theirs. Paxton was not a mega hard one to pull and their were a few on COMC. My purchase was also a year before he passed and these all dried up.

With those Bond cards, as with any sets, it is usually more cost effective to get in on the ground floor. Just because things sell for stupid money these days doesn't mean it was always that way. I've been saying for years Bond cards have been climbing...

The WOB Marceau was £30 from a UK seller at release in 2004.
She was designated as 'Limited', signing 300-500 of the WOB cards, and she had her 40th anniversary version out at the same time, in the same quantity. Up to 1,000 cards on the market at once doesn't make for a rare signature. I even found a second WOB Marceau at a UK convention for £15 back in the day.
She was £30-£50 for MANY years until an outlier UK eBay auction, around 10 years ago, ended at £125. Since then she has turned into a 'high price' card despite her cards always being available at any given point.

Similar story with Seymour, Bean and Seydoux...
- Seymour was designated a 'common' (500+ signed) in the WOB set from 2003. Got that at a UK convention maybe the year after release. £25-£30 was about the going rate.

- As with Marceau, both of Bean's full bleeds were only 'Limited' and very easy to get for a good while. Plenty available from UK & US sellers in the £25-£35 ballpark. Since the GOT crowd discovered him/RA started making his GOT cards much rarer, his overall prices for other properties have gone up as well.

- Seydoux, again was only a 'Limited' card so sellers were not gouging too hard when I picked it up at release 4 years ago. Plenty in the UK & US for similar money. A lot has changed since then... the non-sport market has exploded, no more repeats of her from RA/they gave up the Bond licence, UD haven't got her, and she in the unique position of being the starring Bond girl in what are essentially sequel Bond films. She is getting more famous and there has been non-stop press about the constantly delayed No Time To Die. I would have snapped her up at double the price even if she had only done SPECTRE.

I do consider my purchases bargains given the calibre of the actors on the cards, but they were just fairly 'normal' prices at the time in most cases. Look at Mads Mikkelsen... his Bond cards are £300-$400 all day long now. But when he did Bond he was basically unknown to American cinema, so yeah, only a $50 card back in 2007. He has since been in Star Wars and Marvel to name but a couple of small things he has done since. Time can change a lot of things and many non-sport autos where never available in huge amounts to begin with.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
What can I tell you X? If you found great prices, I congratulate you. I don't do ePacks or COMC. Whatever is there, I don't know about. The Kotto still books for $30 - $75. Maybe its wrong and someone should tell Beckett. I wanted an Aliens Paxton when it came out and it was too rich for my blood. After he passed away, it got even more expensive. Bean was around $100 for me. Got Carlyle less than $40. Seymour was in the $80 range and I didn't care and Castellaneta, never looked.

It does seem as though you did get many of your bargains on the UK market years ago. I didn't see them for that, then or now. In any case I'm not using international sellers. I paid something like $120 - $150 each for my Marceau's and Seydoux was high the first time I saw one, so I didn't get it.

If I was doing it all wrong on eBay back then, too late now Wink, but I couldn't buy the cards you have listed at those prices. If I could've, I would've. Big Grin

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
I got Meghan Markle from Fringe (series 1 and 2) for £10. To be honest it’s my wife’s card.

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve j:
I got Meghan Markle from Fringe (series 1 and 2) for £10. To be honest it’s my wife’s card.

You realise that £10 is just the start of paying, right?

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
What can I tell you X? If you found great prices, I congratulate you. I don't do ePacks or COMC. Whatever is there, I don't know about. The Kotto still books for $30 - $75. Maybe its wrong and someone should tell Beckett. I wanted an Aliens Paxton when it came out and it was too rich for my blood. After he passed away, it got even more expensive. Bean was around $100 for me. Got Carlyle less than $40. Seymour was in the $80 range and I didn't care and Castellaneta, never looked.

It does seem as though you did get many of your bargains on the UK market years ago. I didn't see them for that, then or now. In any case I'm not using international sellers. I paid something like $120 - $150 each for my Marceau's and Seydoux was high the first time I saw one, so I didn't get it.

If I was doing it all wrong on eBay back then, too late now Wink, but I couldn't buy the cards you have listed at those prices. If I could've, I would've. Big Grin

I have made just as many great purchases from US, Canadian and Austrailian sellers. It's harder to get good deals these days with ever crazier shipping prices, but they are still out there, as they always have been. I don't understand your aversion to international sales when a domestic sale, on either side of the pond, is never guaranteed to be without a hitch.

COMC is a trove of keenly prices cards as well. Again, people bemoan the stangle-hold eBay has on the market yet they dont try new platforms... I don't get it.

Recently I have been adding to my X-Files autograph card collection from COMC with certain new Upper Deck autos of actors who never signed for Inkworks or RA. I picked up the following 11 autos: Bill Dow, Megan Leitch, Rebecca Toolan, Sheila Larken, Steve Railsback, Zachary Ansley, Scott Bellis, Jeff Gulka, John Finn, Pat Skipper, and Dean Aylesworth, for a total of $23.07.

No A-listers amongst them but all key characters in the show. I don't mess about with ePacks - I let the addicts rip and flip chasing the 'big' cards and achievements and I'll happily scoop up the stuff they don't care about for next to nothing.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
Recently I have been adding to my X-Files autograph card collection from COMC with certain new Upper Deck autos of actors who never signed for Inkworks or RA. I picked up the following 11 autos: Bill Dow, Megan Leitch, Rebecca Toolan, Sheila Larken, Steve Railsback, Zachary Ansley, Scott Bellis, Jeff Gulka, John Finn, Pat Skipper, and Dean Aylesworth, for a total of $23.07.

Don't know the others, but Steve Railsback had a good career before it derailed. The Stuntman and Lifeforce are guilty favorites of mine. Playing Manson in Helter Skelter may have done more harm than good, but he was doing leading roles afterwards, so it was probably something else.

I didn't know he signed for X-Files, but I'll have to look for it. From the little I did see it looked like that last UD set was dropped without any fanfare and dumped right away. Most of the autograph cards are less than dirt cheap. Its a mystery to me why UD would buy that title and than do so little with it.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post