Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Question about older sets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about older sets
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted
As much as I enjoy the new sets that are coming out now, I think I want to try to put together an older set. I am thinking about one of the Batman 1966 sets, a Planet of the Apes set (movie or TV), or the MASH set. I would like to get some input from collectors of older sets on the difficulty of any (or all) of these sets, or if they can recommend something else that might be fun to track down. I don't really want to spend a fortune on these, so something like Mars Attacks is out of the question. Any input?

Another question: where can I find out some information about these? I haven't checked Jeff Allender's site, so I hope there is something there. If not, can anyone direct me to some information?

Thanks !

Posts: 1458 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Gosh, there are a lot of sets, and they vary all over the map in cost because of short (or overprinted) supply for some of them.

One way to scan the time periods is to check out the PSA Set Registry website, where a lot of non-sports sets are listed in order of year.

Another way to see what things are interesting to build and are found at a dabbler's price is to do an ebay Buy-It-Now search on something like,

box -empty (1960,1961,1962,1963,1964,1965,1966,1967,1968,1969)

If you sort by low price first, once you get through the "false positives" you can start seeing some display boxes of interest beginning at the $50 range. That can give you a hint on relative "availability" without doing serious research with a price guide. I usually go for complete sets nowadays, but sometimes near-sets are very cheap and let you enjoy the thrill of the chase.

Of course, another way is to attend a show where collectors/sellers of old cards gather, pull up a chair, and browse your heart out. Wink

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
I've put together a few older sets over the years. Usually they start out by me finding a lot of older cards at a show, antique shop, or garage sale.
I was interested in starting a Combat set for example, and walked into an antique store that had about 35 of them for 75 cents each.
The first War Bulletin card I got I found at a Gun show, and I bought a bunch more of them plus some World on Wheels at a plastic model show. So keep your eyes open for these besides the obvious places.

Unless you are going for a really rare or sought after set, like Mars Attacks, Red Menace or Davy Crockett, you should be able to find old cards you are looking for in the Wrapper. You mentioned Planet of the Apes and MASH, go for them, they should be pretty affordable, and I might suggest Charlies Angels too. I started out a few years ago with about 20 cards and now I just need 2 cards from all 3 series. Have fun with these!

Posts: 2914 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of EriktheArchitect
posted Hide Post
Still working on several older sets. Years ago before ePay and the internet I used to pick up partial sets at flea markets and antique stores/monthly shows. I than scoured the Wrapper to find missing cards. Along came the internet and its fairly easy to assemble the older sets. Sometimes expensive sometimes not!

Pick up one of the NS encyclopedia books or an NSU price guide to see what is out there.

Search the internet for sets you may like. Most cards can be found pictured online. Pick the ones that interest you and start searching. Thats what keeps me interested in NS cards.

Posts: 1162 | Location: Just NW of Hazzard County Georgia USA | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I think I have become very spoiled with the great quality and variety of contents in recent non-sport TV and movie sets. The only old set that I would like to own solely because of its iconic status is the original Mars Attacks. I have card #1, bought about 20 years ago, and I'm sure that is all I will ever have. Big Grin

Another not so old set might be Twin Peaks, but that one has those very risky autograph cards.

The early 90's Marvel cards are quite nice, but not being that much into comics, I didn't bother with them at the time and wouldn't look for them now. I did pick up many of the artist signature cards back in the day though, and I'm at least happy to have that much.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Golly, I had virtually forgotten how I started some of my older sets. Of course! Check the flea markets, antique shops, comic shops, and thrift stores (etc.) and find a good starter (partial) set of something that appeals to you. People think only full sets have value, and there are sometimes great bargains on loose cards where singles might sell for a pretty penny in the auction site. Some comic shops still have boxes of singles (not so much for pre-1980s) they've had around since the early 1990s when trading cards were one of their bigger businesses.

You can get some good deals on incomplete sets on eBay, but most of those are for 1970s-1980s sets. Sometimes you can find links to non-USA sets that are very appealing. And if you dabble in cards other than "golden age" traditional USA manufacturers, there are loads of tobacco/tea/trade card sets going back to the 1920s that are in heavy supply. (Some of the product premiums were printed in very large quantities.)

And another point, is if you're looking to enjoy the cards and the chase, consider settling for less-than-near-mint condition for older cards. Some collectors of old cards are in a constant quest (simultaneously) to complete sets and to upgrade condition of the examples they found first.

Once you get a variety of partial sets, Card Talk and The Wrapper are good places to track down traders. I used to do a lot of trading until I became "impossible to buy for" because I had finished almost all of the base sets. You might even run across one of the trading angels who gathers lists from a dozen people, compares them, and arranges trades through his/her own address.

I've even found bargains (but not on *very* old sets) at shops in the Merchants Square Mall, home of the Philly Show. Cool

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the advice. I have done some looking around on the auction site, and a number of cards from older sets can be had for good (or at least decent) prices. I will check out some of the resources mentioned here for more information.

Posts: 1458 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Okay, a follow up to my original question. I am looking at a few older sets, and a couple that caught my attention were the Rocky Horror Picture Show sets (FTCC and Comic Images). Can anyone give some advice on how hard these are to find or if they are worth the hunting?

Still contemplating the 1966 Batman sets, as those look somewhat challenging but fun at the same time. Also thinking about Charlie's Angels, but the jury's still out on those....

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
Warning! Purely Personal Opinion reply!!
1. Forget Charlies Angels (boring subject matter, boring art work & boring stickers)
2. Rocky Horror. Great choice, great subject matter great presentation (would have been helpful if the damned inserts had been numbered)
3. Any of the five Batman sets (blue red and black bats, Riddler set and Bat Laffs) Best choice! This is the pinnacle of the card-makers work for that era. Artwork is outstanding, collectability is a bit pricey and challenging (I'm still working on the set 15 years later!) But the satisfaction on completion is immeasurable.I give the sets 5 Michelin stars!

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paul hart
posted Hide Post
Hi
Here's my ideas!!
Rocky etc are still quite reasonable
Prices are you move from 80's to 60's price
Obviously goes up but it all depends
On your budget and priority.
It should be fun and not a 'can i now afford to eat this week' Smile
Most of the sets you mention are still
Obtainable without selling your home.
And i love the charlies angels sets! Smile
Have fun!!

Posts: 353 | Location: uk | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post