Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    What are your favorite varient cards?
Page 1 ... 72 73 74 75
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are your favorite varient cards?
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
Some of those are amazing - I particularly like the Dexter badge, the Trek tags and the Bond photo because they connect more with the actor/character.

I have only just started with variants. For my multi-season sets, I used to get only one costume card for each character that reflected their most common costume (eg BDUs in Stargate). However, with the move to multiple autos/costumes each box or premium pack, I am now more of a completist and variants make it more interesting. I have started with Warehouse 13 season 2. I don't have scans up anywhere, but have:

Pete's t-shirt - lettering
Pete's jacket - seam
Myka's dress - black (glove)
Myka's shirt - white/blue, blood (thanks AJJ above)
Artie - blood

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Found this today:

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
love those cards! Smile

Posts: 4328 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Portlaw
posted Hide Post
These are my main variant cards

Cedric Diggory first task costume with hogwarts crest

Cedric Diggory and Victor Krum First task costumes with a piece of the Diggory lettering

Posts: 77 | Location: Ireland | Registered: September 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post
This is my favorite variant. I also have the plain blue shirt and the bowling pin from the back of the shirt.

Posts: 755 | Location: FL | Registered: January 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WarriorBabe
posted Hide Post
Got this a few days ago:

A real nice surprise because I paid $10 BIN and was quite happily expecting a plain version. Haven't seen any others with writing either, nor do I know how much writing was on the jacket. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: WarriorBabe,

Posts: 1959 | Location: UK | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
some new harry potter variants!

Posts: 153 | Location: Washington | Registered: September 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Zinc
posted Hide Post
I find variant costume/relic cards from the sets that I collect somewhat irresitable! Luv You

I was quite suprised (and happy) to find there are variant cards from Warehouse 13 Season 1 - Alice ...and I now have 2.

Sadly, any variants on the Myka blue top (Season 2) have yet to join my collection as they tend to be quite pricey. The same can be said for a couple of the Stargate Atlantis cards - for example the yellow variant for the Jennifer Keller Season 3&4.

Pete shirt, and Wraith costumes...whoo boy I have to slap myself to stop buying them Eek

To make matters even worse (if that's possible lol) I have a file folder with lots of pics of variants Roll Eyes

Posts: 30 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: November 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I'm one of the 10 people who are not into Harry Potter, but those cards are still pretty nifty looking.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
I'm one of the 10 people who are not into Harry Potter, but those cards are still pretty nifty looking.

Well I guess there are only eight more out there because I didn't get into the Potter craze either, but in looking at those cards it begs a question. They are from props that seem to have bits and pieces of writing, pictures, designs, different materials, etc., attached to them. If the objects have various parts to them, why call them varients when they are all essentially the same in their differences?

What I mean is, do you have any way of knowing what is normal and the majority as opposed to what is the exception on cards where each prop piece used is potentially different from the others?

I think too many things are being labeled varients when it would be more accurate to just say which color, or two color or three color, has writing, has seam, stuff like that. Fake blood splatter for instance is considered a varient, but its just a spot on the material. I'm not saying its not more interesting and maybe should cost more, but if its supposed to be from a blood splattered shirt, is it really a varient to get it?

The problem with calling too many cards varients is that it tends to diminquish those cards that truly deserve the name. Food for thought. Smile

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:

I agree completely. I'm not even into costume/prop cards from the subjects that I collect, but those Harry Potter costumes and especially the props have tremendous variety to them.

Congrats on your fine collection, ecl!

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I'm not trying to scare anyone, but I would be very careful about collecting variant costume cards.

On the sports side there are many fraudsters that cut out plain swatches and replace them with colorful versions. Just be careful when you buy these off ebay. Take a good look at the window to see if it has been played with.

Posts: 97 | Location: United States | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WarriorBabe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

I think too many things are being labeled varients when it would be more accurate to just say which color, or two color or three color, has writing, has seam, stuff like that. Fake blood splatter for instance is considered a varient, but its just a spot on the material. I'm not saying its not more interesting and maybe should cost more, but if its supposed to be from a blood splattered shirt, is it really a varient to get it?

The problem with calling too many cards varients is that it tends to diminquish those cards that truly deserve the name. Food for thought. Smile

I have noticed an increasing trend for cards to be called rare, and variant.

Posts: 1959 | Location: UK | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WarriorBabe:

I have noticed an increasing trend for cards to be called rare

Oh didn't you know. In ebay world every card that has ever been printed is very rare and the few exceptions that are not rare are VERY rare. Big Grin

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of estephano
posted Hide Post
I totally love my variant of the Alias Season 2 PW4 Geisha Outfit. I was tempted to buy PW4 before, but always waited for a beautoful variant to pop up and earlier this year I was really happy to get this one for only $19.95. Really love this variant with its stitched red and golden flowers on the pink fabric. Smile

Posts: 101 | Location: Stuttgart (Germany) | Registered: January 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wvfan
posted Hide Post
Mine would be my
Star Trek Quotable TNG
I got colored costume cards of
Picard
Riker
Troi
Dr Crusher
Tasha Yar
Some consider the black piece as common and the color as variant. If thats the case these are mine.

Posts: 130 | Location: petersburg WV | Registered: December 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kane1
posted Hide Post
I don't like to much the custom/outfit card that just get a plain color from somewhere, but when you see one with some rare design that you can identify the spot. It is nice.

Posts: 242 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kane1:
I don't like to much the custom/outfit card that just get a plain color from somewhere, but when you see one with some rare design that you can identify the spot. It is nice.

I agree, since material cards have now become such a common hit, the single color swatches leave me cold. I just have no desire to spend any money on them, regardless of the celebrity pictured.

But on the other hand, you have to define "rare design" before you can really call it a variant. As I have said, I think the term variant has become much too broad. If a costume has an interwoven design throughout or it has mutiple colors on a large portion of the material, it is not necessarily a variant just because the swatch contains some portion of the design or has multi-colors.

Those cards do usually look nicer and I can understand paying a premium for some of them, but not just because someone says they are a variant when there are actually many like them.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fuchaldream
posted Hide Post
I agree that a variant has to be something unique. Patches, buttons, bedazzling ( Big Grin), lace trim, screen printing from a mostly plain shirt, etc. are great if you're one of the lucky ones, which I am not more often than not...

However, I still love the costume / relic cards. I happen to think that the item itself is every bit as important as the detailing on the swatch or clipping. If an item was only on screen in for a few seconds, I have little if any interest with rare exception. If the item is an iconic costume or prop from a well-loved episode or scene, I can get pumped about it.

Posts: 275 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post