Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Speculation

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/954605353/m/3757063196

June 13, 2019, 03:36 AM
mykdude
Speculation
Given that the biggest complaint with sets like Pop Century and Americana are the dramatic limitations to sticker signing.

Have you ever wondered what is keeping some of the more license locked companies (RH and Crypt) from going out a producing a much higher quality version?

Does anyone even know how the licensing works with such a release? Obviously it would have to steer clear of many contacts they have already used extensively in past releases.

I have also wondered why Topps has not tried to take their beautiful Allen & Ginter design into a full blown Non-Sports set.

June 13, 2019, 08:43 AM
webjon
I don't think anything is stopping them.

I kind of see sets like Americana, American Pie and Panini Century Collection as the same concept as Pop Century only with base cards.

I wish more companies would make more sets like this. . .
June 13, 2019, 08:44 AM
webjon
Also Allen and Ginter is a great design.
June 13, 2019, 09:21 AM
barobehere
Allen and Ginter is a great product all around.
June 20, 2019, 08:50 PM
chesspieceface
With A&G, sports cards sell a whole lot better than non sports do, so that's why it's likely it will remain mostly sports related.

Panini "Golden Age" from 2012-2014 featured nothing but on-card autographs and plenty of non-sports among them. It didn't sell very well, unfortunately.

While focused on super-heroes and "Outlander" to begin with, Crypto's new high end CZX line should hold some on-card beauties. Maybe they'll expand the line eventually into something like "Pop Century" and "Americana" but with all hard-signed cards.

June 20, 2019, 09:13 PM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Panini "Golden Age" from 2012-2014 featured nothing but on-card autographs and plenty of non-sports among them. It didn't sell very well, unfortunately.

Don't know if there have been any surveys on this, but knowing both sports card collectors and non-sport collectors, I would put it down as a difference in attitude, not about cards, but about subjects.

It is easier for a sports card collector to buy into a mixed product because they still probably know a good portion of the non-sport celebrities and wouldn't mind getting those names. I don't think the opposite is true. Many non-sport card collectors buying into a mixed product may have little to no interest in the sports stars they may pull. Especially if its stars play across the board of several major sports.

And it is also true that sports card collectors are more accustom to paying the higher prices of an A&G box. Although that is obviously changing now for premium non-sport too.
June 20, 2019, 11:29 PM
webjon
quote:

I am not sure what it is, but Golden Age never clicked for me. I've collect cards from just about all of these types of crossover sets, but I skipped Golden Age entirely.

I had moderate interest in some of the autographs, and while on card autographs are great I wasn't a fan of the design.

quote:
While focused on super-heroes and "Outlander" to begin with, Crypto's new high end CZX line should hold some on-card beauties. Maybe they'll expand the line eventually into something like "Pop Century" and "Americana" but with all hard-signed cards.

CZX has a lot of people pretty excited. It could be very awesome. . .

At this point though I worry that the hype on certain boards is at such a fever pitch that unless every pack includes autographs from Gal Gadot, Jason Momoa, Henry Cavill and Ben Affleck people are going to be disappointed.
June 21, 2019, 12:23 PM
wolfie
I have a box of Allen & Ginter world champions 2008. The cards are superb but they are all baseball players and i have no idea who any of them are Frown

June 21, 2019, 03:41 PM
Ted Dastick Jr.
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
I have a box of Allen & Ginter world champions 2008. The cards are superb but they are all baseball players and i have no idea who any of them are Frown

They shouldn't ALL be baseball players. One of the perpetually best things about A&G is how much entertainment or "other" stuff they include.
June 22, 2019, 05:50 AM
wolfie
Hi Ted, yes you are correct, there are some great cards in here of people like Bram Stoker and Mary Shelley. The quality of the cards is superb.

Not being into baseball though i still have no idea who the players are. Big Grin

June 22, 2019, 08:24 AM
Triple-Frog
quote:
Hi Ted, yes you are correct, there are some great cards in here of people like Bram Stoker and Mary Shelley. The quality of the cards is superb.

Not being into baseball though i still have no idea who the players are. Big Grin

Bring them along the next time I see you at The Wellington. I should be able to shed some light on the more famous ones Smile .
June 22, 2019, 10:30 AM
Raven
quote:

Don't worry, you are the typical non-sport card collector with a box of A&G. You appreciate the quality of the cards, you know most of the non-sport names, but you don't know the sports stars because you don't follow the sports and there are more of those cards. So you will not buy a whole box again, but may seek out individual cards or auto hits.

On the other hand, sports cards collectors are likely to recognize more of both sides of the mix and will be happier purchasing boxes of A&G or similar products that combines both sports and entertainment, but leans more heavily on the sports players.
June 22, 2019, 06:32 PM
chesspieceface
Upper Deck Goodwin Champions has also come up with some nice non-sports, all on-card, too.

Here's my own favorite:

June 22, 2019, 10:52 PM
webjon
Goodwin can be very interesting. Stephen King is one of the best NS autographs of all time in my opinion.

The upcoming Goodwin has quite a few musician autographs on the checklist.
June 24, 2019, 12:30 AM
mykdude
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
Goodwin can be very interesting.

Unfortunately the King is super rare. I know I can get one of his signed books for much cheaper if I wanted it.

I think the only Goodwin I have is Kevin Smith....at the time it was much cheaper than the Clerks sigs.

June 24, 2019, 09:41 AM
Ted Dastick Jr.
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
Goodwin can be very interesting.

Unfortunately the King is super rare. I know I can get one of his signed books for much cheaper if I wanted it.

Back when they first came out the King autos were selling for around $300. Still above what I'd pay, but pretty reasonable, I think, for one of his autos. I don't know where it's selling at now, can't find any completed auctions.
June 24, 2019, 01:46 PM
webjon
Only one King autograph showing up on PWCC in the last year:

2017 Upper Deck Goodwin Champions Author Stephen King Signed AUTO Dec 19, 2018 $328.13
July 18, 2019, 09:44 PM
Raven
Continuing his streak, Harrison Ford has signed for A&G 2019. It's a framed mini auto in street clothes, likely to be rare of course. It will be interesting to see how this one prices up without a character photo or franchise title and an increasing supply of Ford signatures.
July 19, 2019, 03:13 AM
mykdude
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Continuing his streak, Harrison Ford has signed for A&G 2019. It's a framed mini auto in street clothes, likely to be rare of course. It will be interesting to see how this one prices up without a character photo or franchise title and an increasing supply of Ford signatures.

Of course with Topps products not sure if it's an increasing supply of Ford signatures or just running through the available stickers that he signed 10 years ago. Razz

So far everything seems to be super limited and this one is on card. I wouldn't mind picking up another one but for now I am happy with my little Pop Century sig from RAZOR.