Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Suggestions on GOT cards for signging
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions on GOT cards for signging
 Login/Join

Picture of STCardGeek
posted
Can someone suggest a good insert/base set of cads that would be nice to get signed? Primarily these 3:
Carice Van Houten and Miltos Yerolemou and Kerry Ingram.

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So I'm not really sure what you are looking for here because there is not many choices with these GoT sets. The base sets are mainly made up of single character cards. Only the main actors may appear on more than one card in a set or on inserts.

Both Yerolemou and Ingram are commons. Ingram is a little higher as an autograph and has a base card in both Season 4 and Season 5. Yeolemou has only one base card #42 in Season 1, as his character Syrio Forel died early on.

Van Houten as Melisandre is a bigger name and better autograph. She does have a base card in every set since Season 2. I like her Season 4 card #59 the best.

While you could use any of their character cards for an in-person auto, in this case I would suggest that an 8x10 photo would be preferable to getting a base card signed. I only say that because there are certified autograph cards for nearly every significant GoT character, except for 3 actors that I can think of. For the actors you named, only Van Houten is around $50 and the other 2 are as low as $12 to $20. It hardly pays to have them sign GoT cards at appearances when their licensed autograph cards are so reasonable.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
Well, as a card leaning family. we tend to select cards as our preferred method of signing.
And Syrio totally didn't die, he lived.....at least in my mind. Show me the body ;0

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by STCardGeek:
Well, as a card leaning family. we tend to select cards as our preferred method of signing.
And Syrio totally didn't die, he lived.....at least in my mind. Show me the body ;0

Big Grin True, no body, but then he never came back either.

I do think that he really does have only one Season 1 base card that you could use.

The other thing is that the GoT cards are kind of glossed up, so I don't know how well autographs will take.

I too prefer signed cards over any other material, but that's why I really like the RA autographs for this series. Out of that huge 6 season cast, the only 4 actors I would consider missing are Diana Rigg, Liam Cunningham, Clarian Hinds and Pedro Pascal. I would be very happy to get any of them to sign on cards, since RA has not been able to do it so far.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an Alexandra Dowling signed card (before she did the official cards).
Its base card 84 from series 3 and looks fine.
Its in gold and really stands out well in the light.

Posts: 120 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: June 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Yes, the gold ink pens can make for a very nice looking autograph if the signer can apply properly. Sometimes the strokes are too thin or too thick, it depends on using the right pen and how it is held.

If you check out some of RA's certified gold and silver signature cards, the autographs can be light and streaky. When they are good, they do really pop though, especially on a dark background.

Nevertheless I don't recommend using either the gold or silver ink for autographs for the long haul. Over time they begin to chip at the edges and the color is more susceptibly to light changes. I thick silver is even worse than gold.

The other thing you have to worry about is fakes. For some reason, I think it has to do with the reproduction, many pre-printed autographs pretending to be hand signed turn up in silver color. It is something I have noticed, but I wouldn't call it rule or anything, just that I get wary when I see silver. Wink

I always try to stick to the tried and true blue or black sharpie when getting in-persons, but for high gloss material the paint pens are another option.