Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Set with most promo cards?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Set with most promo cards?
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's a nice looking set. You should be able to find it for a lot less. The promo set goes for less than the Ebay offering.

quote:
Originally posted by Komodo:
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Valvoline 100th Anniversary set from 1994 had at least 50 promos

World War II War Machines (1993) had a promo version of each card in the set, 100 cards, I think

Those early 1990s American Vintage Cycles sets by SkyBox had dozens of promos, also

WOW- now there's a surprise! Very surprising that each card was made a promo. Putting a set together must be fun Eek Actually, I had a look at Allender's site & this set looks pretty interesting. Had a look on the Bay and found a set well out of my price range :/

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
David,

As you probably remember, promo singles were getting hard to find by the late 90's but a few dealers still had a promo set for sale (and they were in their own box too).

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by David R:
I think the WWII War Machines promo set may also have been sent to dealers as a case incentive, so it wasn't too hard to obtain that way

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of anthonyd
posted Hide Post
Didn't know this Ed.

Are you doing UFO? Also, any 1999 left? Did you bring it to any shows and if so, how was it received by the attendees?

quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
At best it's tacky for a dealer to sell his own promos if they were given to him. If the dealer had to pay for them, I think he's within his right to sell them but then they couldn't be called promos - some other level of chase card. If I were a dealer and had to pay for them, I would have to think of my regular customers and others buying the new product from me and offer a card as a bonus "thank you" for their business. Customers appreciate it when a dealer does something extra for them. Just selling them on Ebay tells your regular customers that you're just another buyer among a bunch of strangers.

As a dealer who buys cards from Unstoppable and gets promos as a reward for supporting them, let me tell you my spin on this...

Anyone who buys the product from me gets one of the promos. That goes without saying.

Some customers who I think might be interested might find them in their orders of other items.

But, I do sell them on eBay. It's a way of me saying "Hey look! I carry Unstoppable's products here in the US." Thus, I use them for Promotion. Promo? Yes.

If you think it's tacky to sell them, that's OK. I think it's another way to get the word out that I am carrying that product or that company's product line.

Ed

Posts: 802 | Location: MA | Registered: March 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of anthonyd
posted Hide Post
While reading this thread, I thought of a spin to the topic:

Which Never Released Set had the most promos? (Or would that be included in the original topic?)

Posts: 802 | Location: MA | Registered: March 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Anthony--

Some which come to mind:

Ghost Whisperer by Inkworks had 5

Dr. Who by Inkworks had 6 or 7, I think

Blackball Comics (Skybox, 1994) had 5

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Biosphere had several dozen promos, and no actual card set Smile

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Komodo
posted Hide Post
Hey- I like that spin Smile I'd heard of the Biosphere title before, but didn't realise that the set was never released.

I've gotta admit, I'm surprised that there are so many sets with large numbers of promos Big Grin

Posts: 1206 | Location: St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada | Registered: June 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, there are 30 Biosphere promos, plus a checklist and 3 variants

They depict turtles, salamanders, birds of prey, and another animals

At least 1 or 2 of the promos are very hard to find, most of the others are common

The 1991 card set itself never came out

http://www.nslists.com/biospher.htm

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The new UFO set by Unstoppable has nearly 40 different promos

And a few more have been confirmed on SPACE 1999 which came out in May, pushing the number of promos on that set beyond 30 !