Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Card buying and selling on Listia
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Card buying and selling on Listia
 Login/Join

Picture of zeeterman
posted
I wasn't sure how many here were aware of this site called Listia. Thought I'd mention it since
I sell cards there all the time.
Listia runs basically like an auction site, except that no money changes hands (except sometimes shipping). Everything is bought with credits, which are real easy to earn. Many people prefer to only buy or offer items with free shipping. It's definately the way to go. Sell off some of your extra cards or anything that fits in a regular envelope to keep costs down and earn more credits. It's a fun and addictive site! NOW I can finally find a home for all my common singles!

Anyway, they start you out with several 100 free credits, so there's really nothing to lose. Give it a try:
http://www.listia.com/signup/174363

Posts: 108 | Location: Chronopolis, Vulgaria | Registered: January 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Is that a referral link I see?

So how many credits do you get when someone signs up using that link?

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zeeterman
posted Hide Post
I think a couple hundred, but only after a new user has actually completed an auction. Many don't, no big deal. I could have posted the link without a referral number if that would make you happy. So I guess lista.com works. Longtime member here, legit site that I use to unload cards, etc.

Posts: 108 | Location: Chronopolis, Vulgaria | Registered: January 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zeeterman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
Is that a referral link I see?

So how many credits do you get when someone signs up using that link?

It's always so cute how moderators will use that seemingly innocent sounding line to make someone else's post with a link seem like it's a scam. So I guess I should ask about your self-promoting webjon site that's your signature on every post you make. How much do you make?
Can't have it both ways sir.

Check out Listia. If you don't like it, don't use it. I make nothing on you checking it out.
Not ready to sign up? Just go to Listia.com and browse. Just trying to pass along useful info.
I have single cards from the 1970's to the present that have been taking up space forever because almost no one wants common cards any more. While some like to practice the very un-green burning of these "useless chunks of cardboard", I've discovered there are lots of non-collectors who are intereted in cards and would actually like to have these cards! Yay!
You would be amazed at the positive reactions I've gotten from these folks. They never knew cards from their favorite movie or whatever existed! They don't care about having a complete set, they just love having some cards with pics of interesting things on them!
That's really wthe original purpose of Listia, to pass on stuff you were going to throw away. That's why it's done with credits and not money.

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Zeeterman~

Please cool it.

First of all, Jon is not a moderator (used to be but it's been some time since he was). Second of all, I think his question was a legitimate one. If you are benefiting from people signing up via that link, you should disclose it. I think most people would agree.

Posts: 12994 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zeeterman
posted Hide Post
Not sure what I'm suppose to be cooling.
I'm dumb that way.

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zeeterman:
It's always so cute how moderators will use that seemingly innocent sounding line to make someone else's post with a link seem like it's a scam.

As Harris pointed out -- I'm no longer a moderator. Haven't been for about a year, even changed my ID when I stopped being a moderator.

And actually I never said it was a scam -- I said it was a referral link, which likely benefits you for everyone who signs up. Which you confirmed.

quote:
Originally posted by zeeterman:
So I guess I should ask about your self-promoting webjon site that's your signature on every post you make. How much do you make?
Can't have it both ways sir.

There seems to be confusion about my site. . . people seem to think that I am making money from webjon, I am curious as to how people think I make money from a site where I have zero advertising, and don't sell anything. If you know how to make money with that 'business model' I'd love to hear it.

So the amount of money I make from webjon is zero, yet it costs me hundreds yearly in hosting / domain / database / back up costs.

The only 'perk' I get from webjon, besides helping people avoid winding up with counterfeit cards is a press badge to one or two conventions a year.

I hope that clears up your misconceptions about the profitability of webjon.com.

<edited>

Missed the post before the one where he calls me out where he clarifies he posted a referral link.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: webjon,

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Why are people having a go at someone who was just trying to help point folks to something that might be good for them? Confused

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Why are people having a go at someone who was just trying to help point folks to something that might be good for them? Confused

Well the issue stated above is correct. I enjoy finding new sites that might help my collections. I also don't mind helping other collectors get points, or bucks, or whatever. However, I would like to know if I sign up for something using someone's link, that they are getting a referral bonus. It's only decent to disclose such a thing.

In fact, it might get people to sign up even if they have no intention of using the site. Wink

Posts: 486 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zeeterman
posted Hide Post
Hey thanks wolfie. You too Nicnac. And I'm all cool now. Sorry I forgot to point out that I MIGHT get a couple 100 credits IF people sign up and then complete an auction. Though my intention was to get more card people there.
Sorry to hit a nerve with ya webjon. Never been to your site so I wouldn't know if it's a profit thing or not. It's just a link is a link is a link. I'll click on anyones link as long as I don't get a virus Wink