Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Help with an article.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with an article.
 Login/Join

Picture of CypherBos
posted
Hey Gang! It's been awhile since I've been on here, but I'm hoping I can get your input on this article I'm working on for my writing class.
My assignment is to write a non-fiction article of approximately 1500 words on any subject we would like. I, of course, choose card collecting. Ok, so here it goes....

With the current state of the economy and money being tight, how have you adjusted your collecting habits and what changes have you noticed in the hobby as a whole?

I'd appreciate any and all input. Thanks!

Posts: 76 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: June 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of riddickfan
posted Hide Post
The economy has definitely affected my collecting. I have not bought any cards in over a year. Eek I don't know if I'll be unemployed again like in 2009(4 months),but for me it felt longer. This hobby is for people who have disposable income-I use to have a little extra cash,but unfortunately I don't anymore.... Frown I still keep up with card collecting,and this site. Smile I hope I can start collecting again soon!
As for what I've noticed in the hobby as a whole.....I've seen cards that would go for a lot on Ebay(in past years) going for much less. I'm no expert,but I think card collecting goes up and down like the economy--now it's a bit down. Good Luck on your paper. Elephant

Posts: 1491 | Location: Panama City Beach,FL | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I used to have a very well paid job and bought cases. Then I was let go, now earn one third the money I used to, and buy one or two boxes.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
I know that because of bills this year I have really dropped in what I buy. I would buy 2 to 3 cases a year but this year i have had to drop that to almost 0 and generally what set and and auto's I buy now, I buy on the bay. I would love to buy more but I just can't right now.

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I can't say that I have cut back in what I spend, but what I spend is not getting me as much as before, so it feels like a cut back.

I don't buy as many boxes or premium packs as I did before, preferring to pick up individual cards, as that is more cost effective in the long run. I guess I have become more selective of the cards I buy and have pretty much stopped the impulse spending.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CypherBos
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the answers folks! Keep 'em coming. Smile

Posts: 76 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: June 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SBelcher
posted Hide Post
As odd as it may be, I actually spent more on cards in 2011 than I have any other year.
The slumping economy has affected my buying habits, in as much as the company I work for has refused to give raises since 2007. So, like most people, I've got less disposable income now. Fortunately, I've been able to sell off less sentimental bits of my collection and used that money to buy newer/nicer cards.
I don't plan to spend nearly as much in 2012, mostly because I've got 'life expenses' coming up, though there are some sets and singles that I'll add.

Posts: 281 | Location: Indiana | Registered: April 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Over the last 10 years my card buying have dwendled to maybe 1 or 2 box's of cards a year.
I've been concentrating on picking up single promos and a few odd sets of cards off Ebay.
Being retired reduces the extra spending money and house repairs take alot to.
Card collecting is getting harder on collectors because of the rising cost of the cards and getting less for your money. Also Dealers and individuals want more then some cards are worth.
Autograph cards are outrageous in prices. Collectors have to be very selective in todays economy.
My collecting might slow down but I don't think I'll stop completely.

Posts: 569 | Location: Killeen, Tx, USA | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
I spend more money when I didn't have any kids in the 90's. I was buying about 10 master set per month during that time.
But with the autograph, costumes, sketch and ultra-rare cards now, since I am a completist, I am doing about 4-5 master per year.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I had to sound like everyone else but for the last two years I have only had the cash to pick up a few boxes. 2012 has some big releases for me that I will be buying more. I tried my first Premium pack and enjoyed it a lot this weekend. Will likely get more. So, if the cash is there I will use it on cards, if not well I just miss out until I do have the money for it.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CypherBos
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys! It's a great help. Maybe, if the Writing Gods are with me, NSU will considering running the story when I'm done. Thumb Up