Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Card Projects Thread
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
I figured it might be a good idea to start a thread for projects centered around our card collecting.

Not so much a project, as it is a collecting theme -- magicians on trading cards. All of these people have performed magic at a serious or professional level at some point.

Cool theme idea.
You can maybe add a Steve Martin card to the collection. He did it at Disneyland for a few years.
https://d23.com/walt-disney-legend/steve-martin/

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That's a great-looking page.

I once saw Andrew Yang ridicule bing.com but I have noticed that you can get a different mix of results in a bing search including some relevant ones that didn't appear in a google search. It's often worth doing.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Forget about the cards, where'd you get the sketches? You do them? They look like different styles, but I really like them, and the whole display is impressive. Thumb Up

Haha! I wish. Many different search criteria on the google machine. Was actually going to use the one sitting in the chair for Samantha until I found the one at the bottom. The one of Barbara Bouchet was a last minute find as well.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
In this pair, the custom is definitely a more appealing card. But the major custom producers have a limited design scope as well. Portrait with the top 2/3rds fading into a white space. If you go to Blowout and look at the large collections, they are very repetitive.

I'd like to see more design formats.

Not sure if we are looking at the same BO thread but those are pretty much from the same person and yeah....he seems to be stuck in a design rut. The ink doesn't seem to take well on some of them either. The two I have are the thickness of a costume card but I got them from someone else. A home solution that can print like that is major bucks. If someone is printing for him he may not have many options. Or he is just a big Rittenhouse fan. Big Grin

For me the image I decide to use often determines what it is going to look like. But I am in that phase where I am still making a list of do's and don'ts. Smokin'

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not so much a project, as it is a collecting theme -- magicians on trading cards. All of these people have performed magic at a serious or professional level at some point.

No, this is part of what I was talking about. A project most certainly is collecting in very specific groups. I'm currently putting Bond Girls in groups of the actor who played Bond.

Where did the Harry Anderson come from, don't recognize that design?

Is that Stephen Fry? Pretty sure he has an autograph card.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
quote:

In either The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
You can maybe add a Steve Martin card to the collection. He did it at Disneyland for a few years.
https://d23.com/walt-disney-legend/steve-martin/

Oh yeah, I've got a number of Steve Martin cards. He's in StarPics SNL, Little Shop of Horrors, Sgt Peppers, Inkworks Looney Tunes (including an auto), Playboy Chromium Covers, Warner Brothers promos, and probably more.
The collection is much bigger than these two pages. I just linked these because I had recently posted them to a FB magic collecting group, and could paste in the URLs easily.

quote:
Where did the Harry Anderson come from, don't recognize that design?

It's from a board gamed, called "Face to Face", I believe. He's also got some Leaf Pop Century signed cards, which I'm sure you knew about.

quote:

Yes, that's Stephen Fry, from the Cryptozoic The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug (and yes, he's got an auto in the set.) While he was hosting the British quiz show QI, he did some magic tricks on screen. This resulted in his becoming a member of the British magician's society, The Magic Circle. (Prince Charles is also a member.)

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Ran through a couple different designs but finally settled on this one.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Not sure if Topps is ever going to continue with the Walking Dead. Decided to create this for a local Con in April

Currently have my home printer cranking out 28pt card stock.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Also finished Walter Pidgeon cut.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
"Id, Id, Id!"

Great FORBIDDEN PLANET card!

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Thanks! This is the completed cast.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Beautiful!
One of my top 10 all time favorite movies.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Yeah definitely a major influence on the modern science fiction film era.

Much thanks to RA for preserving a cast that is 66 years old.

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
That looks really nice. I also have that Anne Francis card, that is very nice as well.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
We can only hope that one day the lost footage of her doing the "Morbius Strip" dance sequence is found!

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Congrats on getting all those signed cards, but I have a bone to pick on your choice of background.

That ain't Robbie. Robbie was a nice boy. Big Grin If that's an authentic image from a promo, someone was playing around for maximum effect because it's not even close to the actual scene.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
That's from the original one-sheet, trying to draw the people inside!

I sure wish I had one of those!

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Yeah, if I remember correctly Robbie carried Warren Stevens in after he tried the machine, not sure if he ever picked up Anne Francis. I did see that image on the Wiki page. Robbie should be insulted. Big Grin I remember once having found an original Robbie the Robot battery operated model a long time ago. I think it's worth something, but darned if I have any idea where it went.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I just counted.
I have 13 Robbie the Robots and an equal or greater number of B-9 robots, plus other, miscellaneous robots.
I don't WANT to have them, but they MAKE me buy them!!!!!!

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
I did play with a few different designs. Being a fan of posters using images that never happen in the film but used to draw people into the theater I thought this one was fun. Smile

I still love the film but being brainwashed by so many great soundtracks over the years I find the sound effects to be a bit annoying. Has anyone ever re-scored it? Robby sounds like a hand crank calculator. Big Grin

Always thought a modern prequel could be interesting.