Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Card Projects Thread
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted
As many of you know I collect my cards into character groups or film casts. With so many different ways to collect and many people getting into creating their own custom cards I figured it might be a good idea to start a thread for projects centered around our card collecting.

Obviously posting images is desired, if it shows up too big resize the picture and post again.

I just completed a Miss Moneypenny page that I thought turned out really good.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Forget about the cards, where'd you get the sketches? You do them? They look like different styles, but I really like them, and the whole display is impressive. Thumb Up

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Forget about the cards, where'd you get the sketches? You do them? They look like different styles, but I really like them, and the whole display is impressive. Thumb Up

Haha! I wish. Many different search criteria on the google machine. Was actually going to use the one sitting in the chair for Samantha until I found the one at the bottom. The one of Barbara Bouchet was a last minute find as well.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well its a great idea to include them. I wouldn't even know how to print them out and format the design.

But I'm kind of unsure of what I'm looking at now. Is that an actual physically mounted card display, which I thought it was, or is it a print of images with your cards?

I took it to be a mounted card display at first glance, but as I see the sketch pictures blend with and over the cards, I'm thinking not. Maybe that's what you meant by project?

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Impressive
Even though the custom cards that are now being produced are not licenced
They can teach most of the companies that produce licenced cards a lesson.
I am not a autograph collector but some of them make me want them

Posts: 758 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:

But I'm kind of unsure of what I'm looking at now. Is that an actual physically mounted card display, which I thought it was, or is it a print of images with your cards?

All of my projects are digital. I think it is a good way to display them without exposing them to long light exposure. Plus I don't have enough wall space to do this physically. Razz

When I say project I mean anything someone does that is different than just collecting and storing. Can be physical, digital or even unique collection groups.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piko:
Impressive
Even though the custom cards that are now being produced are not licenced
They can teach most of the companies that produce licenced cards a lesson.
I am not a autograph collector but some of them make me want them

Absolutely! I have several cuts lined up that I am working on. Here is a custom I picked up from a dude on a facebook card group. Very thick and I can only imagine he has a hook up with a professional printer.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
The custom cards with autographs are a whole different world. Most unlicensed cards look like cheap garbage, but some of the customs done especially for collectors by certain sources are better than what is being put out by the major card makers. That Mackie looks terrific.

But in the end it does come down to what the market thinks of its value and that's going to be tough to decide. If it has a genuine hand signed signature it will be worth the going price of the signer. The material its on, whether its a inkjet 8x10 or a custom made card with no license, becomes irrelevant to an autograph collector. To a card collector, the autograph may be irrelevant and the card is unlicensed.

So what you are left with is a market of collectors that are solely interested in custom autograph cards and they are going to have to figure out what they are worth to each other. Big Grin

I know that I could go for a very small selection on certain favorite celebrities, but as a whole I would stick to licensed certified autograph cards. I must admit that I am totally unmoved by digital cards or files. I don't even bother with numbered prints unless perhaps they are signed. It makes for really interesting discussions though to see where different collectors draw their different boundaries on items that are being made outside the lines.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
My first attempt at a cut. Learned several lessons on this one.

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
These are all very good, i am liking them Thumb Up

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
These are all very good, i am liking them Thumb Up

Actually having a lot of fun with it. Thanks!

These are my meet n greet customs so far. Tiffany (yes THAT Tiffany) was my first gloss card. If I can't place the back to a film I try to put something about the event I met them.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
All of my projects are digital. I think it is a good way to display them without exposing them to long light exposure. Plus I don't have enough wall space to do this physically. Razz

When I say project I mean anything someone does that is different than just collecting and storing. Can be physical, digital or even unique collection groups.

mykdude, those signed cards are great looking, but I'm a little dense and don't understand what you mean by all projects being digital.

Are you printing your own cards and getting them personally signed when they are not cuts? Are you making cards and finding the cuts? Is the digital part just the display portion, but all cards are physical with hand signed autographs?

What I'm asking is how much of your projects are real custom made autograph cards and how much is PC created? Because its hard to tell when you're looking at a screen image anymore. Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
But in the end it does come down to what the market thinks of its value and that's going to be tough to decide. If it has a genuine hand signed signature it will be worth the going price of the signer. The material its on, whether its a inkjet 8x10 or a custom made card with no license, becomes irrelevant to an autograph collector. To a card collector, the autograph may be irrelevant and the card is unlicensed.

So what you are left with is a market of collectors that are solely interested in custom autograph cards and they are going to have to figure out what they are worth to each other. Big Grin

It's not just about the market but there is a ton of activity with all sorts of custom cards going on right now. If I were to ever get heavy into that area I would require that anything signed be authenticated.

I will always prefer the licensed product but the license holder can't always get who I am looking for. The card companies have created a desired format that is both standardized and much easier to store than other items people tend to get signed. Keeping that standard has value to many collectors these days.

Licensed companies are limited on images and we both know they often don't pick the best ones even from what they have. Not to mention stickers and really bad designs. I mean seriously! Which Jake is more appealing?

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:

Are you printing your own cards and getting them personally signed when they are not cuts? Are you making cards and finding the cuts? Is the digital part just the display portion, but all cards are physical with hand signed autographs?

Yes Cool

All cards are real, signed and in my collection. The method in how I display them is digital.

I don't have cards physically framed. I do not display cards that are not in my collection.

My cuts are generally from much cheaper signed index card sales or from book signings. Obviously you always have keep an eye on the size of the signature. Recently found a Demi Moore that is going to look nice.....I hope. Big Grin

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:

That custom is an awesome card. Gyllenhaal is one of those signers that you may want, but he has such a bad looking signature that you just hate to spend the money on it. Frown

These quality customs definitely push the rules, even for collectors that are big on the rules. Congrats on your projects.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Here is a current project. Robin Tunney, hope to have it finished today.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Three generations of beauty and talent.

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
The force is strong with this one.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
I figured it might be a good idea to start a thread for projects centered around our card collecting.

Not so much a project, as it is a collecting theme -- magicians on trading cards. All of these people have performed magic at a serious or professional level at some point.

Posts: 2198 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

Licensed companies are limited on images and we both know they often don't pick the best ones even from what they have. Not to mention stickers and really bad designs. I mean seriously! Which Jake is more appealing?

In this pair, the custom is definitely a more appealing card. But the major custom producers have a limited design scope as well. Portrait with the top 2/3rds fading into a white space. If you go to Blowout and look at the large collections, they are very repetitive.

I'd like to see more design formats.

Posts: 2198 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post