Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Card Projects Thread

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/954605353/m/3607071796

December 31, 2021, 07:25 AM
mykdude
Card Projects Thread
Given the stupid prices of the Stellar Portman card, I decided to make my own for a fraction of the price. Wink

December 31, 2021, 10:09 AM
wolfie
That's the spirit, make your own. Big Grin Clap

December 31, 2021, 08:35 PM
Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
That looks really nice. I also have that Anne Francis card, that is very nice as well.

Agreed, it does look very nice. And my Anne Francis cards is one of my favorites in my collection.

February 05, 2022, 09:52 AM
mykdude
Found her signed book for $20. I think I am getting better at this.

February 05, 2022, 10:58 AM
Raven
The Benoist looks better than her Infinity Earth card. Thumb Up

But her signed book? What the heck could she have to write about? Too soon for an autobiography, which leaves food, pets and children's books. Wink

Found it, children's book. Thanks for the tip.
February 05, 2022, 02:45 PM
mykdude
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Any time. Plus she signs perfect size for a card. Smile

February 08, 2022, 05:39 PM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
quote:

Any time. Plus she signs perfect size for a card. Smile

Just got it. Signature is good, no autopen. Always leery of the "signed editions" because it does happen now and again. Of course you know I will never read the book. Big Grin
March 02, 2022, 05:56 PM
mykdude
My first TTM in 20 years. Always wanted a trading card set of The Deep....so I made one. Smile

March 02, 2022, 10:25 PM
Raven
Bisset in her prime. Thumb Up
March 02, 2022, 11:19 PM
mykdude
quote:
Bisset in her prime. Thumb Up

Oh yeah, so many good movies with some of Hollywood's greatest stars.

Because I knew her signature was sort of awkward I wondered how it would look on a small card. I don't think I could have expected much better.

March 03, 2022, 01:11 AM
catskilleagle
Oh yeah, "The Deep." I saw it on cable maybe a year after it was in theaters. The next and most recent time I saw it was in the 80's. Entertaining movie. Robert Shaw had an odd name I always remembered, Romer Treece.

Those are great looking cards. They remind of a design Cornerstone Communications used.
March 03, 2022, 02:14 AM
mykdude
Also built a Channing Tatum cut. So many titles to choose from but Logan Lucky is probably one of my favs. Plus it goes well with my official autograph cards from other cast members.

March 03, 2022, 02:29 AM
mykdude
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Oh yeah, "The Deep." I saw it on cable maybe a year after it was in theaters. The next and most recent time I saw it was in the 80's. Entertaining movie. Robert Shaw had an odd name I always remembered, Romer Treece.

Those are great looking cards. They remind of a design Cornerstone Communications used.

I remember when it came out and because it was from Peter Benchley everyone was hoping for another JAWS. I was a little disappointed the first time I saw it. Bisset stood out for some reason.....I don't know why? Wink Over the years I have come to enjoy it.

I do look to my collection for design ideas because I dont want all of my cards to look the same. I let image location decide a lot of it and I try to get an idea of what the celebrities signature looks like. There is a guy on blow out who has done many MANY customs. They are nice but they all look like they came from a single set design.

March 03, 2022, 03:28 PM
catskilleagle
Right, that was the thing that happened. We wanted another "Jaws" but we got treasure hunting/drug-smuggling intrigue instead. Oh wow, what a drag but then the movie grew on people over time.

Yeah, Bisset was an immediate hit, though. She did stand out when we think about the fabric of society at the time.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:

I remember when it came out and because it was from Peter Benchley everyone was hoping for another JAWS. I was a little disappointed the first time I saw it. Bisset stood out for some reason.....I don't know why? Wink Over the years I have come to enjoy it.

I do look to my collection for design ideas because I dont want all of my cards to look the same. I let image location decide a lot of it and I try to get an idea of what the celebrities signature looks like. There is a guy on blow out who has done many MANY customs. They are nice but they all look like they came from a single set design.

March 03, 2022, 04:33 PM
Bill Mullins
quote:
Bisset stood out for some reason

Bisset stood out for two reasons . . .
March 03, 2022, 05:36 PM
mykdude
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
quote:

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Drool

March 03, 2022, 07:10 PM
Raven
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
quote:

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Drool

While I don't disagree with either of you Big Grin, I feel I should mention that Bisset has had a 57 year career and is still working. She may not have been the most acclaimed actress, but she has outlasted almost all of the beautiful ladies who were her peers. So she is more than the sum of her youthful parts and I wish someone would have put her in Pop Century. Smile
March 04, 2022, 04:15 AM
mykdude
quote:

While I don't disagree with either of you Big Grin, I feel I should mention that Bisset has had a 57 year career and is still working. She may not have been the most acclaimed actress, but she has outlasted almost all of the beautiful ladies who were her peers. So she is more than the sum of her youthful parts and I wish someone would have put her in Pop Century. Smile

Absolutely, I grew up with 12 years of her in great films. Its just that much of what she has been in over the past 20 years has not been what I generally watch or she had a minor role. I would love an official card from her as well but can't help but feel that a pop century sticker would completely ruin her signature.

March 05, 2022, 12:16 PM
Raven
quote:
I would love an official card from her as well but can't help but feel that a pop century sticker would completely ruin her signature.

Yeah, Bisset has a large readable signature that has been very consistent over the years, but a Pop Century or Americana type product is probably the only sort of set that could include her. Those stickers often produce their own versions of autographs just to fit.

I have several of her signed photos from years back and there are plenty on eBay fairly cheap now, but most are early pin-ups and you do have to be careful. There was a time when fakes sold well, and once they get out they never stop circulating, even when demand tails off.
March 13, 2022, 04:36 AM
mykdude
So Bob wrote a book and he signed a few copies. Had fun with this one.