Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mystery Boxes
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Email sent! Thumb Up

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
Hi Chesspieceface
As much as I sympathise about your conmments re shipping, in fact I am the only New Zealander on this Forum and so far I haven't had an Aussie register with me. I would be stunned if it amounted to more than two in any case.

99% of the posters on this forum are either US or UK based. So all that I can say is that if this data stays the same then you will only have to mail to NZ once and (maybe) Aussie once.

Even then only four unlucky recipient would be faced with a mailing cost to our two countries If that is too much for you then perhaps it would be best if you did not register with me.

Finally, just for the record I have placed my name at the bottom of the list so it will probably be a year before one of my boxes come back to me. Why would I run this programme only for the benefit of the Americans? I want new cards for free too. Sounds like a Trump plan that does.

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btlfannz:

. C'mon Wolfie, YOU MUST REGISTER TO PARTICIPATE.

I appear to be unable to access my emails, i think i registered but if not i will. Thumb Up

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Sorry that I won't be registering Sean, but I can't participate for the same reason I was never part of the prior Mystery Box rotations. I don't try for mini-masters and I don't collect promos. While I have the random insert and promo that may have dropped in my lap, that is surplus to me. To swap some out for more cards I don't collect is kind of pointless. More over, I may be removing cards that someone else who does need them would love to find.

I do wish you luck in getting this up and running again and look forward to reading the posts from participants. Smile

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AWR
posted Hide Post
E-Mail sent

Posts: 382 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btlfannz:

99% of the posters on this forum are either US or UK based. So all that I can say is that if this data stays the same then you will only have to mail to NZ once and (maybe) Aussie once.

True, but it's the same cost for us in the USA to mail to the UK as it is to mail to the OZ or NZ, or pretty much anywhere else, in this case, $13+, every time. Only to Canada do we get a slight break. One of these boxes sent there would be about $10, I think it is currently.

As the days of shipping anything out of the USA for $4 (let alone even $7) are long gone, postage costs will add up in a hurry on these sent back and forth repeatedly over the ocean, to the point where people could probably buy whatever cards they'd find in the box they wanted for less elsewhere. Hard to say on that, as I'd personally intend to put some nice cards in there for people to choose from, so hopefully the value would be there for everyone in involved the whole way through.

Do be assured, though, that I never intended that only Americans be involved, only that, once all of the addresses were in hand, it would be best for them to make a circuit through America and then back to the people in Europe and Australia to do the same, rather than going from NZ to the US and then back to Europe and then back to the US, etc. Indeed, take care of all the UK and and OZ addresses first, since you guys still seem to be able to send things economically to each other, and then send them to us. We'll pass them around and send them back to you in the end, and I'd be willing to pay the shipping on all of them when they left the US. I think it would be fascinating to see what's in the boxes at the very end, especially if they'd gone through lots and lots of hands of people from all over the world with lots and lots of cards.

Finally, the additional cards at 75 per box I suggested and the increased selection they'd provide would also make paying the increased shipping rates of today more worthwhile. Plus, on cards anyway, more is usually better. 75 cards would still be just under the weight at which they'd go to $22 for us to send overseas (8 ounces).

That said (again), I'd still be happy to contribute/participate. Let me know if you'd like me to make up the initial "current" inserts box of 50 (or 75) for you, as I have plenty of them and could fill it with a wide variety of subjects.

I'd be happy to do that and send it along to the first name on your list, wherever they are located. Very best of luck with this project, and your retirement in general. May you enjoy all of it, for a long time...

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
To date I have 6 people registered. Unless I can get 3 more I will pull the plug on the proposal due to lack of interest.

Will, Hammer & Barobehere all expressed initial interest but have not yet registered. Can you please do so now as I would like to get the first lot of cards off by Feb 1st.
Thank you

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I'm in.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
OK They're off!!
The first four boxes are now on their way to the first four recipients.
Those people are Wolfie, Barobehere, John Levitt and Debi Cole.
Once the cards have arrived please email me at btlfan@ihug.co.nz and I will give you the address of the next recipient. Then email again to say that they have been sent.
Good luck and I hope that you find something in your box that you want. Just remember that the New Inserts card box is largely comprised of older cards so if you are able to swap the cards for newer cards that would be great. Many thanks.

Cheers

Sean

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
well done Sean. Clap

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I echo Wolfie's comment!

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to it!
Thanks Sean.

Also, some people have noted that they do not want to participate because they would not have something to offer or take from the box. You should still join up and get surprised. You just might find something or be able to place something you know someone might need.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Fun! Looking forward to participating and thanks again for organizing this, Sean. Thumb Up

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Joe McKinney
posted Hide Post
I remember one day around 2005 or so when I came home from work and found the Mystery Box on my porch. That was so much fun to receive, and then to send on to someone-else who had never received it. Hopefully those who receive this new box will enjoy it just as much.

Posts: 976 | Location: Clayton, Alabama, U.S.A | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
Well Joe, if you want to taste that fabulous feeling of excitement on receiving a MYstery Box again you will need to register with me asap!! Please send your snail mail address and your login as well as which of the four boxes you would like to receive. All four or selected ones.

Cheers

Sean

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have just received my mystery box, it being my first ever even though I subscribed to the previous schemes.

regards

john

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I have also received a mystery box. Wavey

Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
A Mystery Box has arrived in Mississippi!
It will be shipped out on Monday!

Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
And a mystery box is on the move! Shipped out this morning.

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
I have also received a mystery box. Wavey

I have dispatched my mystery box and another one has turned up. Big Grin