Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Unreleased Parks and Recreation autograph
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unreleased Parks and Recreation autograph
 Login/Join

Picture of rwn410
posted
So I've only recently discovered Parks and Recreation, had a good viewing binge, and naturally I began looking at the card offerings from a few years back. Two things -

1) The Press Pass website seems to have vanished; does anyone have a list/the pdf with the autograph inscriptions? Smile

2) There's a second Rob Lowe autograph on eBay, RL2, which I can't see any word of for the first set on House of Checklists. The description for the auction mentions the card was 'liquidated during the bankruptcy process' and that it was likely intended as an incentive.

Given that the second set was announced a good time before Press Pass closed, I imagine the chances are it's perfectly real, but it begs the question if there were perhaps other autographs acquired that made their way out, such as (hopefully) Rashida Jones, Adam Scott, Paul Schneider, Chris Pratt, or the 'PR' autograph that is conspicuously absent from the first set. If not, it's at least an interesting curiosity.

Images that I nabbed from the listing:

Thoughts?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rwn410,

Posts: 398 | Location: UK | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Pretty friggin' cool.

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Press Pass is out of business which is why their website is likely gone. Nice Card. I do wonder what is the story behind it.

Posts: 5777 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Interesting that a bankruptcy process was mentioned. I knew Press Pass went out of business, but I never heard that it was a forced liquidation. Makes me wonder what other inventory was in the vault and where it went, if anything was held?

Press Pass was small, but I always thought their products were of a very high quality. Too bad for them and us.

Posts: 10407 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
Picture of The Mouseketeer
posted Hide Post
I've emailed you the PDF.

The RL2 is legit. Press Pass had this one (which I am lucky enough to own) pictured on their website:

My best guess is that it was originally intended to be a dealer incentive of some sort (as the auction suggested).

I was really hoping for another set or two to cover the last three seasons, and also add some more autographs of the main cast and guest stars, but alas.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: The Mouseketeer,

Posts: 2218 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
That is lit'rally one of the best inscriptions to be found this great set, and to have it on that rare card is a special thing indeed. Congrats!

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rwn410
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pdf Mouseketeer! Smile

Agreed, it's a great inscription and a nice card you have there! Especially now I know he only has the three inscribed regular autographs! That and "Literally!" are really the definitive Chris lines.

There were some great guests on the show. It's a shame not more card sets feature quotes and inscriptions on their autograph cards, (besides Billy Drago's efforts) it really makes for more fun, collectability and I would imagine resale value. I'd have loved to have seen various "Oh Ann, you beautiful _______" inscriptions on a Rashida autograph in particular Big Grin

Posts: 398 | Location: UK | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
How is one to determine if these are authentic? Highly questionable at this point.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
When card companies go out of business a whole lot of stuff can happen a few months down the road because there is no longer anyone to hold accountable. To get the full story you would need someone from Press Pass or someone who received inventory directly from Press Pass to step forward and confirm what was still held from other products, such as for redemptions or damage replacement cards, and what might have been made for products that never were released. Press Pass' big license was NASCAR, so even if they had some non-sports cards in the vault, I don't think it would result in a flood for the market, maybe a trickle. Big Grin

Anyway if someone saw this particular card on Press Pass' website as stated, it's a good bet it existed, maybe just not released. The only potential problem for me is not necessarily the authenticity of the card, but the authenticity of the autograph.

Card companies have been known to keep blank cards that are awaiting the signing and, for some reason known only to them, they don't seem to destroy those cards when the signing doesn't happen. That can result in the worst kind of forgery, a fake signature on a genuine certified autograph card.

I'm not even suggesting anything like that is going on here, the cards and autos look very nice to me. However when something new pops up from a company that no longer operates it is good to at least be aware of all the possible conspiracy theories and nail down as much info as you can confirm. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10407 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post