Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Printing plates display
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Printing plates display
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of jademaliburoad
posted
I have two printing plates, with matching cards, and not sure how to display them.
How do you display yours?

Posts: 1188 | Location: France | Registered: April 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Not into displaying but if you are interested in printing plates
Check out this E Bay auction # the seller quiet often has printing plates some will go cheap
E Bay auction # 125110072208
There are a number of them on this site ends in 6 days

Posts: 760 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
If you do a Google search for inkworks printing plates, you'll see how Inkworks used to frame their printing plates for sale.
Clearly custom frames but they work as a reference for how they can be displayed.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I don't display them. Just keep them in binders with like themed cards. However I think all the ones I have are pretty thin. Why can't you just put them in smaller double picture frames? You could do the one plate and its card on each side or even try to fit all four pieces under glass in a bigger frame. But you won't see the backs.

Which is why I really don't look for anything more than binder pages to show cards. Plus even more important, any kind of light will just destroy anything made of paper and ink a lot faster than you would imagine. Printing plates may be safe from that, but their labels aren't, and those matching cards won't be either. Even the UV protected glass and cubes lie. Wink

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piko:
Not into displaying but if you are interested in printing plates
Check out this E Bay auction # the seller quiet often has printing plates some will go cheap

Thanks will check it out.

quote:
Originally posted by Raj:
If you do a Google search for inkworks printing plates, you'll see how Inkworks used to frame their printing plates for sale.
Clearly custom frames but they work as a reference for how they can be displayed.

I had them in mind, clear customs frames with the title card too. I remember the ones from Charmed. I believe too that they were custom frames. Very nice looking.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I don't display them. Just keep them in binders with like themed cards. However I think all the ones I have are pretty thin. Why can't you just put them in smaller double picture frames?
(..)
Plus even more important, any kind of light will just destroy anything made of paper and ink a lot faster than you would imagine.(..) Printing plates may be safe from that, but their labels aren't, and those matching cards won't be either. Even the UV protected glass and cubes lie. Wink

The printing plates are very thin, you are right. Will check double picture frames.

I know the damage of the sun, had an autograph (photo) that started to fade. I'm now rotation them (photos) and keep them there for a very short period of time.

UV protected glass doesn't work? I was really wondering about those.. too bad.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jademaliburoad,

Posts: 1188 | Location: France | Registered: April 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Ultra Pro makes a 2 card screwdown holder that would work. Very similar to what Inkworks used.

Certain online store has them in stock, but they might be cheaper if you can find one in the EU.

Should work with a thin plate, they are recessed.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jademaliburoad:

quote:
Even the UV protected glass and cubes lie. Wink

UV protected glass doesn't work? I was really wondering about those.. too bad.

I'm sure people will say it works and museums certainly use something, but I lost the signatures on a really expensive signed baseball and a favorite 8x10 autographed photo because I put them out and they just faded. The signature on the ball looks like only the stroke impression now and it was in ballpoint.

The ball was in an Ultra-Pro cube that claimed UV protection and the photo was in a frame I bought special for the protected glass. Neither was in direct sunlight, just normal room lighting. Maybe I just picked bad ones or too cheap ones, but I don't trust them to do the job now.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
Ultra Pro makes a 2 card screwdown holder that would work. Very similar to what Inkworks used.
(...)

Ed

Thanks Ed. Do you know if those are available in white or transparent?

quote:

I'm sure people will say it works and museums certainly use something, but I lost the signatures on a really expensive signed baseball and a favorite 8x10 autographed photo because I put them out and they just faded. The signature on the ball looks like only the stroke impression now and it was in ballpoint.

The ball was in an Ultra-Pro cube that claimed UV protection and the photo was in a frame I bought special for the protected glass. Neither was in direct sunlight, just normal room lighting. Maybe I just picked bad ones or too cheap ones, but I don't trust them to do the job now.

It sucks to lose a collectible.

We'd like to enjoy our autographs, and always locked in a binder is safer, but not fun.

The card here is a cheap insert, and I don't think the printing plate could be damaged by the sun.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jademaliburoad,

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks Ed. Do you know if those are available in white or transparent?

Unfortunately, no.

Another option might be a magnetic holder for a booklet card, which are clear. But it would also be a bit of a sloppy fit IMO.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
This was how Pacific sold off their plates during liquidation. I have never removed it and it seems well protected.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:

Another option might be a magnetic holder for a booklet card, which are clear. But it would also be a bit of a sloppy fit IMO.

Ed

I saw that type of holder and was concerned about the fit as well.

quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
This was how Pacific sold off their plates during liquidation. I have never removed it and it seems well protected.

Do you know if it comes from Ultra pro, or another brand?
Looks nice.