Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Master Class
 Login/Join

Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
I like the Kathryn Hayes auto from TOS. That character was my favorite form when I was growing up. I approached Steve C from RA and asked if he could get her to sign and he said if I could find her, he'd sign her up. I was lucky enough to find who her agent was and Steve took it form there. It was kind of a kick to be involved in getting my favorite character. Other then that, anything related to Scott Bakula, cause he's....swoon-y!

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by STCardGeek:
I like the Kathryn Hayes auto from TOS. That character was my favorite form when I was growing up. I approached Steve C from RA and asked if he could get her to sign and he said if I could find her, he'd sign her up. I was lucky enough to find who her agent was and Steve took it form there. It was kind of a kick to be involved in getting my favorite character. Other then that, anything related to Scott Bakula, cause he's....swoon-y!

thats great that you were involved in the process.did Rittenhouse send you an autograph card for finding her? Thumb Up

Posts: 174 | Location: Liverpool | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
Sort of. Several years ago, I flew up for the Philly Show and stayed as guests of the Kohlbus's. I'd never met them face to face, so Robert brought this card (the set hadn't quite released yet) to the airport to prove he was who he said he was. I thought it was fuuuuuuunny!

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
....and so we say farewell to another great idea that failed to fly........

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Its hard to get continued partcipation in a thread. Its even harder if there is no single topic for the thread.

As I said, I collect certified autograph cards. Based on what I read from other members, I'm the only one here who is not title focused. I buy autographs from any set because its the signature I'm interested in. And then I also have my favorite sets. If anyone has any questions I'm happy to reply, but its not my place to offer unsolicated advise. Big Grin

As far as threads go, for about two years I tried to keep the Movie Quotes game going in the Entertainment section. We had a core group of members who picked out movie lines and had to guess the films. If you won, you picked the next one.

It was fun and peopled talked to each other, but inevitably the quote would not move forward. The person who left it would not give hints. Or the person who won would not pick another one. I would step in and ask the person to come back, or I would just start a new game. This was not a new idea, the same thing happened to the game that ran before.

So after about two years I give it up because not enough people seemed interested and I was always stepping in. A couple of months after that Ted Dastick Jr. got it going again and it was running for a little while and then it got stuck again. No one has resurrected it since, but now maybe people will look at again after my post. Big Grin

Anyway, my point is, its darn hard to keep a thread running. Only a certain group of people bother to post and once the topic has gotten old they stop too. I would really encourage people to post, although I know that there are reasons why some don't. However we all come here to read something about non-sport cards that we didn't know, and if everyone is looking to read and no one is looking to write, well you can see how that will work out. Big Grin

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
And for me. I have never felt that I knew a lot. I do 'know a lot' but I know others who are true experts. I am still finding out things about sets I collected 20 years ago. I just never put the time into it. So, I hope the thread keeps going. Everyone just needs to pipe in on what they feel they are an expert at!

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:
Everyone just needs to pipe in on what they feel they are an expert at!

See here lies the problem. Everyone is far too modest about their knowledge. You don't have to be an expert at all! With all of your years in card collecting there will be a truckload of things that the rest of us just don't know. You are just making the mistake in supposing that no one else will be interested in what you have to say! (or write).
Raven is just the same when he wrote (quote) but its not my place to offer unsolicited advise.(unquote) Show me a collector that isn't interested in learning more about his favourite obsession and I will show you a person that is only in it for the money.

Write something Guys!! There are a huge number of collectors on this forum that very much respect your knowledge. It doesn't have to be gospel or the final word on card collecting, just a small article on some aspect of collecting trading cards. To you it might be common knowledge, to the rest of us it's gold.

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I know the Bill Ward 50 Years of Torchy Medallion card exists, I have one of them in doors, trying to remember what it's like
The set had a promo card, a base set, chase set, subset, medallion and Autograph card, the only thing I have not seen is the case incentive 6 card sheet.... the rest I have Smile

KADRAN00157

Posts: 3429 | Location: UK | Registered: November 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have the medallion Card for the 1st Dawn set by Comic Images, Numbered and unnumbered...... Will have to check this week and try to get scans Smile
Did quite a few of these sets Smile

KADRAN00157

Posts: 3429 | Location: UK | Registered: November 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Anyone know how rare the gold foil leaf signature cards are? I managed to get a NORMAN ROCKWELL one years ago.

Posts: 971 | Location: WESTWOOD NJ | Registered: May 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KADRAN00157:
I know the Bill Ward 50 Years of Torchy Medallion card exists, I have one of them in doors, trying to remember what it's like
The set had a promo card, a base set, chase set, subset, medallion and Autograph card, the only thing I have not seen is the case incentive 6 card sheet.... the rest I have.

The Torchy Medallion card is not rare and there is one on the 'bay right now for $4. It's quite fascinating looking at the 'bay's list of medallion cards for sale and peoples incredible ideas as to their worth. Some are listed at well over a $100 (which is truly farcical)but the truth is that if you bide your time you can pick up nearly all of them (as I have done) for under $10.

posted Hide Post
Hmm 4 years later I shall reply!
I have a lot of knowledge on the FPG and comic image "fantasy art" sets. I don't know what good any of it is though.

As far as medallion cards go.. I too wonder about the prints runs of them. I figured many stopped at 5000. Apparently I am wrong as I was checking my medallion cards and found a conan medallion numbered over 5000.

Posts: 34 | Location: canada | Registered: April 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of CordeliaChase_Fan
posted Hide Post
I don't think I ever saw this thread. i appreciate being thought of as an expert on Buffy cards though.

Posts: 1314 | Location: Rego Park, NY | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I never saw this thread either. It didn't "have legs" because it seemed to put people on the spot and that's beyond those that were volunteered. Also, gathering thoughts and putting them in a logical order with at least a nod to good spelling and grammar is time-consuming. Most forums posts are a few words so putting a few paragraphs together is asking a lot. On another forum I have written reviews of paleontology-related books. If asked to do it, I might have felt pressure from that too and resisted. I did them at my own pace so they were posted irregularly and my angle was not to do just recent books (couldn't keep up with much that was new anyway due to the fact that I don't want to read everything and certainly can't buy everything) but also older books I liked and those you might not have seen in your local bookstore. I haven't done one since early last year and there has been no voiced demand for more but the comments were complimentary so I will try to smooth out a couple of unfinished ones sometime soon.

As for Comic Images, I thought it was a great company putting out great sets that celebrated a variety of artists. Can you imagine any company trying that now? Who would even think of doing a set just on Dali or Parrish (other than maybe some art gallery, and even then, probably a boxed set)? I hope CI is remembered for that.

In the mid-late 90's I collected the Stout sets and a few of the Olivia ones. I got one Olivia Medallion card but was never lucky to get an autograph. Back then, you could buy a box from a local dealer and packs at local comic stores and at collectibles show but it took me a while to complete Stout's first series 6-card chromium subset on Antarctica. That was before CI did autographs. That was also before I did anything on Ebay.

I never completed any of the Olivia 3-card subsets (get one in packs and then no other ones). It didn't seem like anybody had the other ones for sale. I ended up selling the near-master Olivia sets in the binders that I had back when selling something like that wasn't that difficult (you could just about break even, in fact).

One thing I can add about CI was that sometimes unsigned autograph cards were given out to dealers as promos. I saw two in a local collectibles store's promo box and bought them for maybe 3 bucks a piece: Michael Whelan II card (cool werewolf art) and a Boris and Julie one.

Comic Images also had a collectors club (like Cornerstone) you could sign up for and I believe it was free. If you went to a show where they had a booth, you would show your card (white plastic) and the rep would give you at least one item. One thing I received was a 3-card blank-backed panel that turned out to be the three cards in an Olivia chase set. I have another panel from another set as well. Even after the club was discontinued, CI honored the card until they stopped doing shows. That showed a lot of appreciation of its customers.

I did think it was funny that the medallion cards have become so cheap in recent years.

Jess

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
When I first started this thread I had great illusions of grandeur that it would turn into a source base for many hundreds of sets and anecdotes, stories and quirky things we didn't know about our absorbing hobby.
I wanted it to be a place where you could drift in and say "Hey, I never knew that" (about this card or this set).

It was a very good idea but it died in the finish before it even got the chance to grow some wings simply because some felt that what they knew wasn't worth telling anyone lese about, some felt that what they had to say wasn't their place to say it and the rest died away to the awful thread killer - lassitude.

To this day I regret not pushing it a little harder to see if I couldn't help it along but frankly going it alone can be a daunting task.

Oh well............

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Sean, after rereading this thread 4 years later, it seems to me that you did get responses, and very positive responses too.

However this is just a thread, with an ad hoc title, on a card forum. What you were looking for is more suited to creating your own blog, where you and guests can write your own articles and field feedback.

I'm sorry this thread didn't take off like you thought it would, but members did try to graciously explain.

Maybe you should try it again with the medallion topic only and that would keep it specific to one subject that expert collectors could discuss.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe you should try it again with the medallion topic only and that would keep it specific to one subject that expert collectors could discuss.

Thanks for your thoughtful comments Raven. If I was to start a blog what platform would I use? How would random visitors ever find it? Why restrict it just to Medallion Cards? Would you write an article on Autograph collecting? So many questions!!

Yes, many people did pass comments on my original thread but when push came to shove not a single person was interested in putting pen to paper.

Oh well, at the end of the day I was a bit disappointed but came away feeling quite philosophical about it all. You cannot strong-arm people into doing what they don't want to do.

Sean

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btlfannz:
Thanks for your thoughtful comments Raven. If I was to start a blog what platform would I use? How would random visitors ever find it? Why restrict it just to Medallion Cards? Would you write an article on Autograph collecting? So many questions!!Sean

My thought was that you might want to a start a new thread here with the subject being those medallion cards. It seemed that the responses indicated that you have more than a couple of Card Talk members who follow them and might be interested in discussing it in detail. I myself am not a collector of those cards and don't know anything about them besides what I read here.

As for the blog, it was just a suggestion because its a way for you to manage subject and content. I don't have any insight into doing it, but I think that you probably need a domain name, pay the fees and maybe hire someone to set it up on a minimal level. There are a lot of bloggers out there, so how hard could it be? Of course it will cost something to someone, always does. Wink

Would I write an article on autographs? I doubt anyone would need it. I am no expert and don't pretend to be. Anything I've learned over the years was because of my own mistakes and pertains only to my own ideas of collecting autographs. I always do try to give people tips where I can, but those tips may be in opposition of their own opinions. I could even be WRONG, it has been known to happen. Big Grin

So lots of luck with your quest and you have the Mystery Boxes going again, so that is something that worked. Smile

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Also, on the early ones (the Wayne Barlowe one at least), there was a gold sticker over the medallion outline on the back (so it was like a gold medallion) and the sticker had the serial number on it. In later cards, the serial number was printed (or hand-numbered) on the card back with no medallion outline as you show on the previous page.

quote:
It started off that Comic Images actually had an outline of a medal on the early cards. Look at the two cards at the bottom row of the scan

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
"The Alien World of Wayne Barlowe" medallion card was also available numbered and unnumbered. I wondered if the unnumbered version was unreleased (appearing on the market some time after Comic Images stopped doing cards) or given out to some dealers but Allender once said that both were pulled from packs.

In the years since the start of this thread, I've noticed that the medallion cards have bumped up a little from the bottom of their historic value range. They were $35 cards in their heyday, but as Btlfannz noted, by the 2010's, you could find many of them for under $10. I saw a Bone card end at just 99 cents in an auction but some still go for $15-20 (Conan, Rockwell, Linsner) and someone was willing to pay $30 for a Linsner late last year.

A G.I. Joe 30th Anniversary card sold for $34.95 on Nov 16 of last year.

One Salvador Dali Medallion card actually went something less than $169 (11-18-23 Best Offer). Even if it was half-off, that would be easily the most I've seen any Medallion card ever sell for. Less than two weeks later, another one went for $10.50.

quote:
From the tail end of 1993 to the start of 1996 Comic Images released 59 sets of cards. These sets all had (over and above the usual 6 card inserts and frequently a 3 card sub-set) a single stand alone insert card.

These were either a numbered special card called a Medallion Card or they were so called Bonus cards. In most cases the Bonus card were either box toppers or they were case toppers. Sometimes the Medallion cards were sequentially numbered by printing but mostly they were hand numbered. Insert ratios (at least according to Allender’s House of Cards) was 1:108 packs. Occasionally Comic Images gave the Bonus Cards a number such as 0 or 00 but more often they were called simply Magnachrome Bonus Cards. The only thing that seems unknown is the numbers of each card issued. Anyone with this knowledge might like to share.

Two of the Medallion cards came both numbered and unnumbered. They were Conan 2 and Olivia Studies In Sensuality.

All of these cards seem to be reasonably priced and apart from the usual gamut of optimists on the auction sites that expect to get $40 for a Medallion, in my experience most can be picked up for under $10.