Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    What is your favorite set?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
What is your favorite set?
 Login/Join
 
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by treksearcher:
Mine has to be The Vintage Classic Sci-Fi & Horror Posters From Breygent in 2007.

The first time I came across the oversize autographs and sketches. The subject brought back memories of watching the early Sci-Fi some before my time they always repeated on T.V.

Ditto! Thumb Up
 
Posts: 1310 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Darth Smittyous
posted Hide Post
Being a big Star Wars fan, my favorite set is easily Star Wars Finest. I liked the fact that each nine card set had a different artist but a similar theme (Rebels, Imperials etc). It was nice that each theme was limited to 9 cards, so they look great together in a binder. The chrome base cards looked good. The set also had a nice mix of chase cards, though my absolute favorite were the refractor parallel cards. The refractor set was one of the few I ever cared enough about to complete the set. It is challenging to complete and at the same time attainable without being cost prohibitive.
 
Posts: 65 | Location: VA | Registered: February 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of kane1
posted Hide Post
My favorites are the original Marvel Masterpieces Series 1 and 2 and X-Men Fleer 1994. I enjoy the artwork.
 
Posts: 242 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Mars Attacks...
 
Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of fuchaldream
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Bartowski:
Here is how much I love the BBT Seasons 3 & 4 wardrobe set

BBT Seasons 3 & 4 wardrobes


OK, now I feel better about some of my collections. That is an awesome collection!
 
Posts: 275 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
My favorite is the 2000 Topps X-Men movie set. Unbelievable autograph lineup, nice costumes, and hobby/retail inserts. A close 2nd would be the X-Men Origins Wolverine set.
 
Posts: 283 | Location: San Jose, USA | Registered: September 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Darth Smittyous:
Being a big Star Wars fan, my favorite set is easily Star Wars Finest. I liked the fact that each nine card set had a different artist but a similar theme (Rebels, Imperials etc). It was nice that each theme was limited to 9 cards, so they look great together in a binder. The chrome base cards looked good. The set also had a nice mix of chase cards, though my absolute favorite were the refractor parallel cards. The refractor set was one of the few I ever cared enough about to complete the set. It is challenging to complete and at the same time attainable without being cost prohibitive.


I totally agree. I think I spent four years trying to collate the gold refractor set. It was difficult, but not excessively expensive and gave a massive boost to my well being. On this occasion Topps got it spot on, and I think this is what collecting is all about. In this day and age the card manufacturers have pulled away from what is obtainable, and gone for the 1/1 where master sets are impossible. This is a mistake in my book, and ultimately will be the downfall of the hobby.
 
Posts: 1759 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
Still love the Lord of the Rings sets by Topps.
Game of Thrones are very close to being my favourite set of the last couple of years.
 
Posts: 281 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of fuchaldream
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kennywood:
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
quote:
Originally posted by treksearcher:
Mine has to be The Vintage Classic Sci-Fi & Horror Posters From Breygent in 2007.

The first time I came across the oversize autographs and sketches. The subject brought back memories of watching the early Sci-Fi some before my time they always repeated on T.V.

Ditto! Thumb Up


I completely agree. This is my favorite set. The oversized cards were perfect for the subject matter. My wife & I still watch most of these classic movies when they're on TV.


I liked the movie posters sets, too. I like movies and movie posters. The cards were well executed, and the memorabilia cards were nice. It wasn't from the scifi set, but we pulled a nice Audrey Hepburn movie used memorabilia card from the first box we bought. That's a good way to start. Smile
 
Posts: 275 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
I liked the movie posters sets, too. I like movies and movie posters. The cards were well executed, and the memorabilia cards were nice. It wasn't from the scifi set, but we pulled a nice Audrey Hepburn movie used memorabilia card from the first box we bought. That's a good way to start. Smile


I've a number of very nice autographs from the Movie Poster sets. I pulled Cut Boris Karloff from my case 2 of 3.
 
Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of fuchaldream
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by treksearcher:
quote:
I liked the movie posters sets, too. I like movies and movie posters. The cards were well executed, and the memorabilia cards were nice. It wasn't from the scifi set, but we pulled a nice Audrey Hepburn movie used memorabilia card from the first box we bought. That's a good way to start. Smile


I've a number of very nice autographs from the Movie Poster sets. I pulled Cut Boris Karloff from my case 2 of 3.


That is awesome! I love the old horror films, and Karloff was great.
 
Posts: 275 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post



Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:
quote:
Originally posted by HolmbergsCorner:


Of the sets I do have, or have tried, I would have to say Batman Master Series. Fantastic artwork, great parallels and a nice ratio of getting (or not getting) inserts. I somehow got one of the Clear Chromium cards in one of my two locally (!) purchased boxes. That might have some affect on my fondness of the set, getting one of those.


The Batman Master Series was a great set. Great art. Great text on the back of the cards. That set is still a winner all around.


That is a fine set, not only all new art on every single card including the chase, but also an all-new Batman story, too.

However, when they first came out, they were too expensive so it was not a successful set in that way, but even when the boxes came down in price in a big way from the original price, it was still a hard set to finish due largely to those clear cards and also the 10 card villains set which were found just a couple per box.

This is kind of more fitting for the "best Ebay finds", but after opening multiple boxes and not having any clear cards and only half the villain cards, I happened upon what looked to be an unusual Skybox shrinkwrapped set of it in the "other auctions" of a seller I'd bought something else from. I added it to my order for $4 and was then very delighted to find it included a base set, the complete Gold Foil signature set, and ALL of the chase cards including BOTH clear cards. It turned out to be a sample set, I believe intended for review for one of the many card magazines that existed in those days. A nice surprise to be sure, and those cards look fantastic in the binder pages, I'll tell you what!

____________________
Everywhere around this burg they're running out of verbs, adverbs, and adjectives. Everywhere around this town, they're running out of nouns.
 
Posts: 2924 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kennywood:
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
quote:
Originally posted by treksearcher:
Mine has to be The Vintage Classic Sci-Fi & Horror Posters From Breygent in 2007.

The first time I came across the oversize autographs and sketches. The subject brought back memories of watching the early Sci-Fi some before my time they always repeated on T.V.

Ditto! Thumb Up


I completely agree. This is my favorite set. The oversized cards were perfect for the subject matter. My wife & I still watch most of these classic movies when they're on TV.

Also my favorite set. The classic Sci-Fi and Monster movies from the 30's thru the 50's will always rule, in my book. Thumb Up We get Svengoolie out here so I get to watch those flicks nearly every Saturday night. Smile

Hey Kennywood, were you born and raised in the 'Burgh? If so, I assume you spent your childhood watch Bill Cardille and Chiller Theatre, too? Big Grin

____________________
Debi

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.
 
Posts: 967 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
For me it's the Star Trek the Original Series Season One in 1997 by Skybox and Steve Charendoff who launch the concept of one autograph per box!
 
Posts: 1225 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    What is your favorite set?

© Non-Sport Update 2013