Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    What is your favorite set?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your favorite set?
 Login/Join

Picture of fuchaldream
posted
OK. So, I was just sorting through some non-sport cards, and I was looking at some of my favorites. We bought a lot of Donruss Americana, Stargate Universe, and Ghost Whisperer. My favorite card comes from Americana (Tippi Hedren auto / relic). A very close second is the JLH auto/costume from GW seasons 1&2, but my favorite set (so far) is SGU season one. For some reason, I just can't get enough of that. I loved the show, but I think the auto design on that set was phenomenal (IMO). The lenticulars worked real nice in that set. They did a really nice job of capturing the feel of the show in the card design.

I also love a lot of other sets, but people might give up on life if I ramble much more. Please don't do it. You have so many awesome cards to live for!!! Smile

I know that there are some great sets coming out real soon, but they don't exist yet.

So, what one set is your favorite (so far)?

Posts: 275 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
If I had to pick only one set it would probably be Dexter Season 1 & 2. The show was new and different. The autograph cards were clean and at a manageable number. All of the recurring main cast were included. It had costume cards and prop cards, some very limited, plus limited sketches. There were variants to be found. In short, its just an all around perfect set with all the bells and whistles.

Now if we are talking about sets that rely on autographs, my favorite type of cards, then I would pick Game of Thrones just as my personal choice. The autograph list is vast and the cards are beautiful. The second season branched out a bit with a few relics and ultra limited sketches, but its the signatures that drive GOT.

Posts: 10381 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fuchaldream
posted Hide Post
Nice! The Dexter stuff looks cool, and there were some good actors involved. I never watched the show, but I almost bought some because they looked so good. Way to go Breygent!

Posts: 275 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Big Bang Theory Seasons 3 & 4. Love the auto costumes of all the main characters, and it's my favorite wardrobe set by far...I have over 100 of the wardrobe cards including both booklets.

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wvfan
posted Hide Post
Mine would be the Strickly Ink Dr Who card.
Im a huge fan of Who. I love all the autos of the classic Drs and though the costume cards were few there are cool.

My most wanted is the Jon Pertwee autograph card buts its cornerstone.

Posts: 130 | Location: petersburg WV | Registered: December 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fuchaldream
posted Hide Post
Thanks for those responses. It's wild, but I don't watch either of those shows, either. I am admittedly and odd bird.

I've tried BBT, and it's not for me. Most of my friends love it though.

Have not watched much Dr. Who. Is there a good place for a noob to start watching it?

Picture of wvfan
posted Hide Post
You can start with the first doctor if you dont mind b&w its first epsoide is titled an unearthly child or if you want more modern you can start with the 9th dr epsoide rose. The orignal show ran from 1963 until the 80s and then went off the air till 2005 which is were the 9th Dr comes into play.

There is the movie that was made in the 90s which was the only apperance of the 8th Dr. I would advise against starting with this one. Due to the fact there is stuff in the movie that dosent make sense for the series.

Posts: 130 | Location: petersburg WV | Registered: December 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fuchaldream
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wvfan:
You can start with the first doctor if you dont mind b&w its first epsoide is titled an unearthly child or if you want more modern you can start with the 9th dr epsoide rose. The orignal show ran from 1963 until the 80s and then went off the air till 2005 which is were the 9th Dr comes into play.

There is the movie that was made in the 90s which was the only apperance of the 8th Dr. I would advise against starting with this one. Due to the fact there is stuff in the movie that dosent make sense for the series.

Thanks. I've caught a few different pieces here and there, and quite honestly it just did not make sense. So, I might try to start with the 9th Dr, then.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
My favourite set is my Firefly and Serenity sets, they are what got me into the hobby again (after collecting a couple of Disney sets as a child). I love the look and colouring of the Firefly set, especially the autos. Then the Serenity set because that has all of the main cast signing plus the costume cards.

If anyone knows, is there a reason Summer Glau and Alan Tudyk didn't sign for the Firefly set? I would have asked back then but it was released before I got into the hobby again.

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I find myself going back to the following sets regularly
Smallville (Inkworks 1 to 6)(Cryptozoic single set for 7-10)
Joe Jusko I and II(FPG)
So, based on this I would say they are my favorites.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fuchaldream
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:
I find myself going back to the following sets regularly
Smallville (Inkworks 1 to 6)(Cryptozoic single set for 7-10)
Joe Jusko I and II(FPG)
So, based on this I would say they are my favorites.

I had to look up Joe Jusko. Looks pretty cool.

The Smallville stuff is nice. I wish I had more, but I could not afford everything. I'd love a Laura Vandervoort auto!

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fuchaldream:
The Smallville stuff is nice. I wish I had more, but I could not afford everything. I'd love a Laura Vandervoort auto!

I never watched Smallville after the first season, so I see this autograph card on eBay with a $399 BIN. I have no idea who Vandervoort is, so I looked up her bio. Sorry, I still don't get it. Wink

Posts: 10381 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fuchaldream
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:

I never watched Smallville after the first season, so I see this autograph card on eBay with a $399 BIN. I have no idea who Vandervoort is, so I looked up her bio. Sorry, I still don't get it. Wink

I liked her on V. I don't have her auto because $399 is ridiculous. I have a Kate Beckinsale auto for which I paid a WHOLE lot less than that. I don't understand that price either. So, I will probably never have it.

I mostly liked Laura Vandervoort for her character on V, like I said, but I do thing she has an appeal otherwise. She is not the most beautiful woman in the world, or the greatest actress. Just has some quality which I have never been able to define.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
I mostly liked Laura Vandervoort for her character on V, like I said, but I do thing she has an appeal otherwise. She is not the most beautiful woman in the world, or the greatest actress. Just has some quality which I have never been able to define.

I think Summer Glau falls into this category for me.
My favourite sets would have to be Charmed seasons 1 & 2 - my first sets to get all the autos, and the Lord of the Rings sets. Managed to get all autos and costumes for this. Still looks really classy.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fuchaldream
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
quote:

I think Summer Glau falls into this category for me.
My favourite sets would have to be Charmed seasons 1 & 2 - my first sets to get all the autos, and the Lord of the Rings sets. Managed to get all autos and costumes for this. Still looks really classy.

I understand about Summer. She is a very good actress. She has always had a grace about her.

That Charmed set is nice. I got into that show too late, and everything was too expensive. So, I am jealous.

posted Hide Post
Since I'm fairly new to the world of Non-Sport Trading Cards I haven't been able to review as many sets as I would like. I do believe that I would enjoy the Firefly and Serenity sets very much, if I had them.

Of the sets I do have, or have tried, I would have to say Batman Master Series. Fantastic artwork, great parallels and a nice ratio of getting (or not getting) inserts. I somehow got one of the Clear Chromium cards in one of my two locally (!) purchased boxes. That might have some affect on my fondness of the set, getting one of those.

Posts: 16 | Location: Malmö, Sweden | Registered: November 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HolmbergsCorner:

Of the sets I do have, or have tried, I would have to say Batman Master Series. Fantastic artwork, great parallels and a nice ratio of getting (or not getting) inserts. I somehow got one of the Clear Chromium cards in one of my two locally (!) purchased boxes. That might have some affect on my fondness of the set, getting one of those.

The Batman Master Series was a great set. Great art. Great text on the back of the cards. That set is still a winner all around.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lord of the Rings

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Mine has to be The Vintage Classic Sci-Fi & Horror Posters From Breygent in 2007.

The first time I came across the oversize autographs and sketches. The subject brought back memories of watching the early Sci-Fi some before my time they always repeated on T.V.

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here is how much I love the BBT Seasons 3 & 4 wardrobe set

BBT Seasons 3 & 4 wardrobes

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post