Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Article About Weird Wheels cards
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Article About Weird Wheels cards
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted
Here is a cool article about someone who has scanned all of the Weird Wheels cards into hi res pictures.

http://jalopnik.com/enjoy-thes...ding-cards-511995533

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DewMan
posted Hide Post
I love these. I still have mine from when I was a kid. Never finished the set though. Hard to do as a grade school kid in 1980.

Posts: 712 | Location: Western US | Registered: August 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of monsterwax
posted Hide Post
Here's another article about Weird Wheels by yours truly. They're wonderful stickers and the artists behind them did a great job. That's the great Norm Saunders and a second "mystery" artist (interviewed in the article). Enjoy.

http://thewrapper.tripod.com/weirdwheels.html

Posts: 404 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: April 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I remember about 35 years years ago, at the tender age of 5, collecting cards from this set or something very similar. One day, I went to a store with my mother and lost one of the cards, a parody of Chevrolet cars, called (I think) Shovelrolet. I cried and cried for days !

However, looking at Jeff Allendar's checklist, that is not among the cards in this set. WHAT set was my mystery card from ????

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
That was a great article. I had some of these as a kid but never really got into them as much as i should.

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of monsterwax
posted Hide Post
35 years ago would have been in the 1970s, long before Weird Wheels was released by Topps. But Donruss had several reprints of the Odd Rods series during that decade. I bet it was one of those. (That was the original inspiration for Weird Wheels, anyway.)

Here's an article (and my boyhood memories) about the Odd Rods stickers: http://thewrapper.tripod.com/oddrodreview.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: monsterwax,

Posts: 404 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: April 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MikeFitz
posted Hide Post
Also, in the mid-seventies there were "Funny Cars" which might have come in a package with bread or cupcakes or something. The Shovelrolet name sounds like the kind of thing they did with those.

Posts: 1457 | Location: New England | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of monsterwax
posted Hide Post
Mike is right. "Shoverolet" was from the 20 card set of "Funny Cars" from 1976 by CBC (Continental Baking Company). You'll have a tougher time tracking that one down, as they were unnumbered and only came one per bread loaf.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wow ! Thanks for solving the mystery !!! I see 4 on that auction site now for 99 cents each, but no Shoverolet.

Did these really come out in '76 ? Is it possible that when I lost the card, I was only 3 years old, and I still recall and am traumatized by the incident, 37 years later ? Smile

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of monsterwax
posted Hide Post
That's when the copyright was, but they could have continued issuing them a few years, or the copyright could have been when they started designing them so the issue date was actually older... or you could have been eating really, really OLD bread!