Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    James Bond Sean Bean Variant rarity?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

James Bond Sean Bean Variant rarity?
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted

Does anyone know the rarity of this Sean Bean variant? Kinda common or rare-ish? Thanks.

Posts: 3214 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Almost all of Sean Bean's Upper Deck autograph cards were Level A, with higher odds. I think that's his 2019 Inscription card, which was 1:771. He had a few different signed cards between UD's 2019 and 2021 Bond editions.

Now before this is called a variant, if he signed all versions of that same card as "Alec Trevelyan", it really isn't a variant. And if it is his inscription card, no inscription copies are called variants either. They are just inscriptions and they may be 1/1s or the same wording may have many copies.

To be a variant, he would have to have signed at least some of this specific card as "Sean Bean" and then the majority version would be less valued usually, but only if this was one of his regular cards.

However in this particular case, my personal opinion is that he ruined the card. He didn't actually sign anything. It's fine to have the character's name as the inscription if you lack imagination, but you must sign it also, or else there is no autograph to me. I will pay for Sean Bean's signature, and I have, but not for him signing as his role's name. There is no such person, so I won't need this card. Not even if it were a variant, which it might not be at all.

Posts: 10399 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
I have a Corrine Clery card signed as Corrine Dufour, her character's name, but no Clery signature.
The Inscription cards aren't numbered differently to the non-inscription ones.

Posts: 3251 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It looks like a handwriting/signature expert will be needed or a guarantee from Upper Deck that the actor playing the character did sign as the character. I'm glad I stuck to the basic set and some of the chase cards only.

regards

John

Posts: 2120 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Almost all of Sean Bean's Upper Deck autograph cards were Level A, with higher odds. I think that's his 2019 Inscription card, which was 1:771. He had a few different signed cards between UD's 2019 and 2021 Bond editions.

Now before this is called a variant, if he signed all versions of that same card as "Alec Trevelyan", it really isn't a variant. And if it is his inscription card, no inscription copies are called variants either. They are just inscriptions and they may be 1/1s or the same wording may have many copies.

To be a variant, he would have to have signed at least some of this specific card as "Sean Bean" and then the majority version would be less valued usually, but only if this was one of his regular cards.

However in this particular case, my personal opinion is that he ruined the card. He didn't actually sign anything. It's fine to have the character's name as the inscription if you lack imagination, but you must sign it also, or else there is no autograph to me. I will pay for Sean Bean's signature, and I have, but not for him signing as his role's name. There is no such person, so I won't need this card. Not even if it were a variant, which it might not be at all.

You’re right, it’s from the 2019 set, and Jeff Allender has it listed as his inscription autograph card. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Posts: 3214 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raj:
I have a Corrine Clery card signed as Corrine Dufour, her character's name, but no Clery signature.
The Inscription cards aren't numbered differently to the non-inscription ones.

That is interesting -- I didn't realize the numbers were the same on the inscriptions.

I have a Clery signed 'Corrine Dufour with love' Would much rather have had her signature and 'with love' than the character's name.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There are some Marvel cards given out at shows that were signed as Wolverine or Spider-Man by people in costume. In that case, ha-ha, Spider-Man signed my freebie card but I wouldn't want that to be a super-rare chase card in a set I was collecting.

Posts: 4391 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
These aren't autographed cards. They're sketch cards, where Bean is sketching a hypothetical autograph.

Posts: 2207 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Bean misunderstood the signing directions for his variant 'inscription' autos. The small signing space probably didn't help matters, it is a little small for signature and inscriptions/character names.

I'd consider it an oddity. Funny but not necessarily desirable. Big Grin

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post