Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    "Ultra Pro" 9 pocket pages?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Ultra Pro" 9 pocket pages?
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted
I recently bought a pack of "Ultra Pro" 9 pocket pages at Walmart. When I was putting the pages in my album with my other pages, I noticed a big difference in the weight of the pages. My old pages were much more substantial. The new ones were very thin and flimsy feeling. Is this just a Walmart thing or all "Ultra Pro" pages this way now?
Ace Confused

Posts: 2894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sittin9duck
posted Hide Post
There are 2 grades of pocket pages silver and platinum. Check to see if your new ones are silver and old platinum.

Posts: 301 | Location: redcar,UK | Registered: January 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sittin9duck:
There are 2 grades of pocket pages silver and platinum. Check to see if your new ones are silver and old platinum.

Yeah, I was just asking my rep about the difference. He says not much, but Ace apparently can tell the difference.

Silver is in a blue box. Platinum is in a black box. There's a price difference as well.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I can notice a difference in the two types of pages. If you pick up the two boxes of 100 pages (one in each hand) the Platinum weights about 50% more then the silver. I find that the silver pages tear a little more easier too.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes the platinum are definitely better quality. I got a pack of the silver to try them out but I would only use them for base cards. The price difference is only three or four dollars per 100 sheets and it's not worth skimping when protecting valuable cards.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Yes, there is a noticable difference between the two. I only use platinum.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Mine are comprised entirely of bamboo. It's not very practical, but I love it that my pet panda is finally is showing some interest in my collection.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
I purchased some silver pages and didn't like them at all, so always go for the platinum now

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that the 10ct and 30ct packs available in retail i.e. Walmart are neither 'Silver' nor 'Platinum' but somewhere in between.

I'm presuming you didn't pick up a 100ct 'Platinum' box from Walmart...do the 10ct or 30ct packs even say 'Platinum' or do they just have the same packaging/colour scheme as the 'Platinum' pages so it's easy to assume that they're 'Platinum'?

The 'Silver' of course have a very different looking 100ct box that's blue as opposed to black, but the 10ct & 30ct packs are black packaged, same as the 100ct 'Platinum'.

otim

Posts: 700 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by otim:
My understanding is that the 10ct and 30ct packs available in retail i.e. Walmart are neither 'Silver' nor 'Platinum' but somewhere in between.

I believe that's true. I looked at one of those Ultra Pro packs at Target once, and I put it back because it didn't say Platinum OR Silver. I'm sure that the archival qualities of those pages are fine, I'm just particular when it comes to a uniform look in my binders. Big Grin

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post