Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    U.S. Congress Trading Cards
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

U.S. Congress Trading Cards
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
For memorabilia cards, you could get their business cards. Those should be plentiful and easy to get.

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EricFC:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Word of advice, you don't EVER want to accept an autopen for a signature. It is a facsimile. Although it may have the approval of the signer, it is not handsigned and as such, is just an exact copy of no worth at all to an autograph collector or an autograph card collector.

You must disclose that it is autopenned and you can't call it autographed, as it's a mechanical copy added on to the card surface. A facsimile is generally produced in the card and is part of the card. Yet it all amounts to the same thing, an exact replica that is in no way an authentic signature.

If you can't get them to really sign, I would suggest that you leave it alone and just do numbered 1/1s. An autopen is not an alternative to anything. Lots of luck with your products. Smile

That's actually helpful, thank you. I was considering letting it slide if some of them used an auto-pen, but when you put it like that, it's a hard pass for me on that now. I'm not super-knowledgeable about autographs, so I really appreciate your feedback on that.

If I can't get autographs, I'll find something to replace them, like some sort of memorabilia or relic cards. I was considering including pieces of historical documents in some of them, but I can't bring myself to cut up a document, so that might be tough. Pieces of used political signs and ads might be kind of cool though. I'll have to see what's available.

You're very welcome. If you are ever in doubt about something you want to include in your products, you can always float the idea here. You will find no shortage of opinions when it comes to trading cards or their premium hits. Big Grin

And by the way, both suggestions for business cards and for the puzzle cards are very good. Memorabilia cards, costume cards, prop cards . . . they are all falling under the more general title of "relic" cards. Autograph cards are in their own category, but you can also have the autograph/relic or signed relic or "cut" signature, if you are cutting it from other material. There also must be some wording about who is certifying the authenticity of the signature and that can vary between the card maker, the signer or some contracted third party.

It's all easier said than done. Wink

Posts: 10393 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
First off, I wish you the best and looking forward to any future titles.

Personally I find political figures a necessary evil and have no real desire to collect them. Still, I echo the autograph sentiments in that as a card manufacturer you label all things as they actually are. Collectors often feel they are on the outside of the card production process and they will not be kind to any proven misrepresentation.

Posts: 4853 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks again to you all for your great feedback and support. If any of you are interested in checking out the next set of cards, my Kickstarter campaign goes live on Tuesday morning. You can sign up for a reminder here: https://www.kickstarter.com/pr...ngress-trading-cards

Mods: If plugging this isn't ok, just let me know. I thought some people might be interested, and I am really passionate about getting this next set off the ground.

Posts: 12 | Location: Fargo, ND | Registered: October 04, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a quick reminder that the Kickstarter for the new set is live now and things are looking good. There are some pretty great early-bird deals, so check it out. Thank you for your support and feedback!

https://www.kickstarter.com/pr...ngress-trading-cards

Posts: 12 | Location: Fargo, ND | Registered: October 04, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
no promotional cards for this set?

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pcetodd:
no promotional cards for this set?

There are tons of extras this time around, including cards that are only available to Kickstarter backers. There are also parallels, chrome coated cards, serial numbered cards, autographs and relics. You can see the full listing of goodies on the Kickstarter page. Let me know if you have any other questions!

posted Hide Post
Just wanted to post a quick update on this: I was able to raise $30k in the first week, so that covers half of the manufacturing costs. I have three weeks to raise the remaining half. I think I have about a 50/50 shot. Thanks to all of you who have pitched in, I really appreciate it! If you know of any collectors or shops that might be interested, just let me know or send them over to the kickstarter.