Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Would you be happy or bummed out
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would you be happy or bummed out
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted
If Upper Deck screwed up your card like this? Numbered to 15. Will it EVER pass Ebay's Authenticity Guarantee?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wow. . . that's a major screw up.

Tough call.

It would annoy me that the card is wrong, but obviously Stan is a WAY better signature to have. . .

Can you just call it an error and sell it for $$$$$ to speculator bros?

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Oh, these stickers and quality control. Not to mention unreadable signatures and people contracted by card makers to do jobs knowing nothing about the product or non-sport cards in general. If you didn't recognize Sebastian Stan's autograph, or even know he was in the show, could you really make it out from the letters?

As for authenticity, I think it should pass eBay verification provided that the card is accurately described by the seller. I mean the card is genuine and the autographs are genuine, they're just not the right combination for this card. If it were identified as a mismatch and called either an error card or a variant error card, that would be accurate. It would be up to the buyer to decide how much an unintended 1/1 is worth. Why should eBay block such a sale by withholding their authenticity guarantee? It's all good to me as long as it's described right.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
It's all good to me as long as it's described right.

Judging by the auction the seller (sports people Roll Eyes ) is unaware. I messaged them with the info.

quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
Can you just call it an error and sell it for $$$$$ to speculator bros?

Haha! Yeah was saying the same thing to a friend of mine. We'll see what the seller does if he takes my message seriously.
They were already asking $2500 for it.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:

Seriously! These are sticker autographs. Who knows how many UD has stockpiled? And I don't even know who Joaquin Torres is, if it were his signature, which should be less in demand than Stan's autograph. Not that either Stan or Mackie are Ford or RDJ.

The card prices for the minor Marvel stars, especially in these short streaming shows, are just being pulled out of thin air and I have a really hard time believing that anyone is actually paying them.

A card collector can't afford it as a buy. A card investor doesn't like the long-term value prospects of fads. That only leaves the card speculator, who is trying to get in and out as fast as possible. Just don't be the last flipper in the line. Big Grin

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
On another blog site that is for soccer cards several cards with either singular or double sticker signatures have turned up issued by Topps where the stickered signature is not the right person due to them sharing the same name i.e. a lot of Brazilian soccer players are known by one name Pele was one Ronaldo another etc. These cards have turned up on the bay all being sold for 4 figure amounts (£ & Euros) clearly marked as errors. It is probable that there might be a lot of them because the cards are marked 1/25, 1/5 etc. It is clearly an error by the Topps employee not being able to match up the right signature to the image. The sellers involved obviously realise the error card is just a valuable as the correct card or even more so.

I was wondering if this problem would turn up on non sport cards now I know the answer.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:

Seriously! These are sticker autographs. Who knows how many UD has stockpiled? And I don't even know who Joaquin Torres is, if it were his signature, which should be less in demand than Stan's autograph. Not that either Stan or Mackie are Ford or RDJ.

The card prices for the minor Marvel stars, especially in these short streaming shows, are just being pulled out of thin air and I have a really hard time believing that anyone is actually paying them.

A card collector can't afford it as a buy. A card investor doesn't like the long-term value prospects of fads. That only leaves the card speculator, who is trying to get in and out as fast as possible. Just don't be the last flipper in the line. Big Grin

Watching UD's releases they are all originally priced at some future hopeful value that will most likely never be actualized. Any collector who cares about value must determine if they are paying the highest price the card will ever be.

Seems like the business model is to sell to the hype first and then let it settle in stages until it hits what dealers have really paid. I don't think I can fault anyone for it but I will gladly let someone else be the sucker. Many of the dealers get screwed because in order to get the hot Marvel or Bond stuff they have to agree to take additional Hockey product that no one in their area has any interest in. Personally I would like to see a hobby boycott of UD but we got too many junkies out there. Smokin'

Danny Ramirez plays Torres and is lined up for future Marvel projects. So far dude seems to be having a decent career. As long as he can stay away from domestic violence or saying anything to offend the Hollywood establishment he probably isn't a bad one to collect. His single cards are much more reasonable.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
On another blog site that is for soccer cards several cards with either singular or double sticker signatures have turned up issued by Topps where the stickered signature is not the right person due to them sharing the same name i.e. a lot of Brazilian soccer players are known by one name Pele was one Ronaldo another etc. These cards have turned up on the bay all being sold for 4 figure amounts (£ & Euros) clearly marked as errors. It is probable that there might be a lot of them because the cards are marked 1/25, 1/5 etc. It is clearly an error by the Topps employee not being able to match up the right signature to the image. The sellers involved obviously realise the error card is just a valuable as the correct card or even more so.

I was wondering if this problem would turn up on non sport cards now I know the answer.

regards

John

For the longest time there have been almost no "error cards" in non-sport because of the way card production has evolved. The rule is that, to have a true "error card", there must be a corrected version available. Then the premium is attached to whichever version is deemed to have the shorter print run. Often the corrected card might be worth more than the "error card".

With better production methods and only a single printing of non-sport cards in most releases, "error cards" became a thing of the past in general. There were still occasionally cards with mistakes in text or mismatched photos, but without a corrected version they are just cards with errors, not "error cards".

However by mismatching sticker signatures to the wrong cards, that could certainly be regarded as an "error card" from the card maker in production. If only one or two were done wrong, they would get the premium. If the whole batch was done wrong, technically there would be no premium on any of them.

How much a buyer would pay just for the novelty of a wrong sticker, I think, would depend on the signers involved. If a common signer were swapped out for a better signer, it would be worth more, like in this case of the Stan mistake. But if it went the other way and a common sticker replaces a star, who would pay more for that "error card"?

I could see mismatched stickers happening quite a bit in card production if the stickers are handled improperly or carelessly stored. A good portion of the signatures are unreadable if you don't already know them or know the people who are supposed to be in there. Since fewer autographs are on-card today, the person assigned to attach those stickers plays the most important role on the most important and expensive cards.

Do you think that person is closer to being the President of the card company or the mail room clerk? Big Grin

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'd be happy. I think it's a cool mistake that makes the card better.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post