Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

COMC
 Login/Join

New Card Talk Member
posted
I am curious, has anyone bought or sold cards using COMC?

Thanks

Posts: 1 | Location: USA | Registered: August 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, never heard of it, is this another auction site?

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
It's more like a card exchange, you build up credits when you sell, although you can also sell out right. I think the main difference is that you have to send your cards to COMC and they charge you to list them and take care of the sale.

I have never used it, but it seems like a good idea if the customer service is any good and you don't mind paying fees upfront and sending them your cards. Of course the majority of the listings are for sports cards, so for what I collect now I don't see me getting involved.

There is a nice article about COMC on Cardboard Connection written by Ryan Cracknell that explains it better, if anyone is interested.

Posts: 10366 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've bought cards on COMC before and would do so again.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
The gist of COMC is that it's a consignment site. As a buyer, the big benefit is that all cards are stored and shipped by COMC so you are only paying one shipping fee per shipment.

It can be very handy for filling sets I've found, especially for sets.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1176 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
I buy cards from COMC... No problems at all.

Posts: 1595 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of blackholeman
posted Hide Post
I buy from COMC as well. Always arrive quickly in great shape.

Posts: 150 | Location: Dallas, TX USA | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
They sell through Ebay and Amazon. Some of the prices are astronomical but a lot of them are reasonable with some real bargains. They charge $3.99 for the first card and 25 cents for every card after that so you need to factor that in to your selection. I have bought some cards from them and they have always been in very nice shape.

Posts: 4357 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I have not looked too closely into this but every COMC auction i have seen on ebay just has crazy high postage to the UK so i don't bother.

Posts: 28997 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I have bought from them on eBay, and you can find some decent prices if you look around. Postage costs are a little high, but the cards have been in excellent shape and I've had no problems.

Posts: 1457 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
I tried to purchase but shipping to the UK was crippling - something like $64 for 10 cards. Needless to say I declined.....

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WarriorBabe
posted Hide Post
If you buy on COMC directly www.comc.com (after purchasing store credit) you can request shipment at any time, after buying once or several times over months.
$4.99 flat fee shipping Internationally Big Grin
It is slow, but at that price i ain't complaining.

If you don't wish to buy store credit (which is refundable in some circumstances), you can say find several cards you want and check out, still flat fee shipping.

I've had several orders, no complaints, as another poster mentioned it's great for low end set building.

Yes there is alot of Sports but the Non Sports are growing. I've found it ideal for Game of Thrones as an example.

It is so expensive for the UK on eBay because the ship via Global Shipping Programme. Just cut out the middleman and purchase on COMC direct.

Posts: 1959 | Location: UK | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Good to know, will try that Thumb Up .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
They have had alot of nice, early 1990s promo cards for sale, just a few dollars each

Posts: 4713 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WarriorBabe:

If you buy on COMC directly www.comc.com

$4.99 flat fee shipping Internationally Big Grin

Definatly worth looking into. I just looked at ebay auctions which were being shipped through COMC and they were charging £16 to post a £1 promo card.

Posts: 28997 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WarriorBabe
posted Hide Post
That's because COMC use eBays GSP, which is almost always a rip off in terms of shipping cost!

Posts: 1959 | Location: UK | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Resurrecting an old thread, but with another question. Anyone having issues with COMC taking forever to ship cards thru Upper Deck's ePack service? I bought a number of X-Files cards on eBay, seller using COMC to hold/ship those cards. It's been over a month since I paid with no cards received yet. The seller is just as frustrated by this as I am. COMC is apparently saying they are very behind on shipping, but it seems they are picking and choosing what and when to ship. I'm not holding the seller responsible, as they seem to be trying to get this resolved, but at some point I need to decide to request a refund and move on.

Posts: 1457 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about COMC shipping cards from e-Pack but I know in general COMC shipping is absurdly slow. At one point, I read COMC was prioritizing eBay purchases at the expense of purchases from the COMC website but that's either changed or the company has fallen even more behind over the past few months. I bought two cards from them off eBay on March 31. They weren't shipped until May 4 and arrived on May 10.

COMC being responsible for shipping physical cards from e-Pack is one of the (many) reasons I don't use e-Pack.

Posts: 62 | Location: The World | Registered: August 03, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
From what I can glean, COMC has become a victim of its own success. It's really a depository keeping records and holding inventory for the various accounts/customers, plus a shipper and its own little marketplace. That was fine when it was new and activity was manageable, but the operations hasn't been able to keep up with the long term demands of the business.

This happens to many companies when they are doing well, but don't invest enough money back to stay current with handling the growth. Undoubtedly they would cite COVID as a reason for operational disruptions also, which certainly didn't help anyone, but it's probably not the root cause. I have been reading complaints about COMC for a very long time now. I don't buy ePacks, so I'm not involved with them for UD shipping, but I'm too much of the "I want the card in my hand" kind to be bothered anyway.

Posts: 10366 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I see from their eBay feedback profile that COMC is getting pounded with negative ratings for taking so long to ship. Not to excuse them in any way, but I wonder if part of the problem might have to do with the top loader shortage - not having enough plastics to properly protect cards during shipment. Confused

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post