Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Your Top 10 Autograph Cards That You Own
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your Top 10 Autograph Cards That You Own
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Awesome set of 10, plus bonus points for meeting all of those legends in person!
(I met Gene about 10 years ago, but didn't have anything with me for him to sign, unfortunately...)

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
Good grief - I don't know where to start.

I am going to have to have a good think!! My favourites are not necessary the most expensive. I'll be back.

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
(NON BOND)
TAMZIN MERCHANT THE TUDORS
JOHNNY DEPP CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY
OONA CHAPLIN GAME OF THRONES
EMILIA CLARKE GAME OF THRONES
LEONARD NIMOY STAR TREK OS (MIRROR IMAGE SPOCK)
ANNA PAQUIN XMEN
ALYSON HANNIGAN BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER
EMMA WATSON HARRY POTTER PRISONER OF AZKABAN
KATIE FEATHERSTONE PARANORMAL ACTIVITY
MARY BADHAM COMPLETE TWILIGHT ZONE

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Great article.

I love reading these faves from others and thought, we really love this hobby as some of this get pretty expensive or time consuming. But still worth it any way you go.

quote:
Originally posted by H_Toser:
Bill Mullins, one of NSU's writers from some years ago (and a poster here on the forum), has written about his favorite autograph cards for the blog today. Bill has an impressive collection and it's interesting to read about how he obtained the ten cards in the piece.

My Favorite Autographed Cards

Posts: 806 | Location: san diego | Registered: December 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great lists Smile Might as well join the party...

In no particular order -
Angelina Jolie - Tomb Raider
RDJ - Iron Man
Emilia Clark - Game of Thrones Season One
Alice Eve - ST: Into Darkness
Johnny Depp - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Samuel L Jackson - The Spirit
Kate Capshaw - Indiana Jones Heritage
Martin Freeman - The Hobbit
Benedict Cumbervatch - ST: Into Darkness
Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, & Rupert Grint - PoA triple autograph card

Posts: 235 | Location: UK | Registered: March 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AWR
posted Hide Post
Have picked up many autos over the years that just make me feel good. Here are my favorites

Clint Howard - Star Trek
Teri Garr - Star Trek
Pamelyn Ferdin - Star Trek
Lawrence Montaigne - Star Trek
Bruce Mars - Star Trek
Vijay Amritaj - James Bond 40th
Julie Bowan - Lost
Titus Welliver - Lost
Liv Tyler - LOTR
Christopher Lee - LOTR

Posts: 382 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1. Hugh Jackman (X-Men movie): This is THE card that got me into the hobby. I didn't know celebrity auto cards existed until I happened to see this on eBay. I bought some packs and was lucky enough to pull this. It is the 1st significant autograph I ever pulled. I've owned/sold several more Jackmans over the years, but always kept this specific one.

2. George Clooney (Batman & Robin): Pack pulled from a single box. I remember racing around the house in excitement when I pulled this.

3. Thomas Jane (X-Men Origins): I commissioned a Punisher vs Wolverine sketch from an artist and had it signed in person by Thomas Jane.

4. Stan Lee (Spider-Man 2 dvd promo): Senitype film card signed in person by Stan Lee. Long line but well worth the wait.

The above 4 are cards that I will never sell. My top 10 has changed over the years. Off the top of my head, here are my current favorites.

5. Hugh Jackman (Van Helsing): I bought a whole master set just for this card.
6. Andrew Garfield auto/costume (Amazing Spider-Man)
7. Tobey Maguire (Spider-Man 3)
8. Ben Affleck (Daredevil): full signature version.
9. Edward Norton (Incredible Hulk): Hulk version
10.James Earl Jones (Star Wars Masterwork): Regular version. Hoping to upgrade to the metal framed parallel one day.

Posts: 283 | Location: San Jose, USA | Registered: September 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
Well, my current favorite is my GOT bordered Emilia Clark and my GOT season one
Lena Headey. I'm also partial to each of the main BSG (new) autograph cards I have, including EJO.

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hmmm... tough to choose only ten and I don't have nearly the collection that most of you have. But off the top of my head:

1. Christopher Lee - The Wicker Man
2. Dana Wynter/Kevin McCarthy - Sci-Fi & Horror Series 1
3. Ray Harryhausen - Sci-Fi & Horror Series 1
4. Ben Chapman (8x10 case topper) - Sci-Fi & Horror Series 1
5. Donnie Dunagan/Janet Ann Gallow - The Art of Robert Aragon
6. Maisie Williams - Game of Thrones Season 1
7. Kit Harrington - Game of Thrones Season 2
8. Zachary Quinto - American Horror Story, Murder House
9. Kristin Bauer - True Blood Archives
10. George Takei - Psych

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
This is a really good topic because many people don't know about some of the certified autograph cards that have been released. Unfortunately the thread seems to have petered out without a lot of participation, maybe because some members think only expensive autograph cards should be mentioned.

That is not the case, value is not always measured by price. So how about a reboot.

Post your ten favorite certified autograph cards in any grouping you want: by title, by person, by price range, by role other than most famous, you make up the link you want.

This is my top ten list of the best cheap or common autograph cards I own in no order:

1) Jane Alexander - Terminator Salvation, a wonderful Broadway actress, The Great White Hope.

2) Richard Roundtree - Heroes, the original Shaft.

3) Pam Grier - Mars Attacks, best thing in all her movies.

4) Amanda Seyfried - Veronica Mars, card is raising on strength of movies.

5) Jenette Goldstein A19 - Star Trek Generations, Who? This is the actress who played Private Vasquez in Aliens, a role second only to Weaver's Ripley.

6) Chris Hemsworth - Star Trek movie, you could spend a fortune for Thor, or you could pick this one up.

7) Mary Tyler Moore - Essential Elvis, the best comedy show actress since Lucy.

8) Melissa Rauch - True Blood, you could spend a fortune on BBT, or you could pick this up.

9) Tom Hiddleston - 258 West Authenticate, you could spend a fortune on Loki, or you could pick this up.

10) Joe Manganiello - Spiderman, of Magic Mike and Sophia V. fame.

Too many more to mention now, but I love a bargain. Hope to see more lists of whatever autographs you love.

Posts: 10375 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
The only reason I haven't replied here is because I don't relish (or ketchup either) the idea of taking all these cards from my binders in order to take a picture of them. What if I drop one and my dog eats it? Or I accidentally crush it into a ball of useless pasteboard. Am I paranoid about this? You betcha! However, I am enjoying the lists here and I wish I had one of every card listed! Or maybe two; I can be greedy if I want to!

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
The only reason I haven't replied here is because I don't relish (or ketchup either) the idea of taking all these cards from my binders in order to take a picture of them. What if I drop one and my dog eats it? Or I accidentally crush it into a ball of useless pasteboard. Am I paranoid about this? You betcha! However, I am enjoying the lists here and I wish I had one of every card listed! Or maybe two; I can be greedy if I want to!

Pictures are great, but not a requirement. I can't scan them either and I don't have a dog. Big Grin

Posts: 10375 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of CordeliaChase_Fan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
This is a really good topic because many people don't know about some of the certified autograph cards that have been released. Unfortunately the thread seems to have petered out without a lot of participation, maybe because some members think only expensive autograph cards should be mentioned.

That is not the case, value is not always measured by price. So how about a reboot.

Post your ten favorite certified autograph cards in any grouping you want: by title, by person, by price range, by role other than most famous, you make up the link you want.

Too many more to mention now, but I love a bargain. Hope to see more lists of whatever autographs you love.

OK I'll bite- especially since I started the topic.

Top 10 Star Trek Guest Star Autograph Cards(Across all series)

1. Lisa Wilcox as Yuta (Women of Star Trek- Rittenhouse Archives 2010) Lisa played Alice Johnson in "A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master" and "A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child"- NOES 4 is my favorite of the franchise and to have her autograph on a card is awesome.

2. Michelle Phillips as Jenice Manheim (Star Trek: The Next Generation: Complete Series 1 1987-1991- Rittenhouse Archives 2011)- A living music legend on a trading card- sign me up!

3. Kim Cattrall as Lt. Valeris (Star Trek: Quotable Movies- Rittenhouse Archives 2010)- One of my favorite guilty pleasures is 1987's "Mannequin" which stars Ms. Cattrall.

4. Lark Voorhies as Leanne (Star Trek: DS9 Quotable- RA 2007)- Lisa Turtle from "Saved by the Bell"- need I say more?

5. Kirstie Alley as Saavik (Star Trek: Movies in Motion- RA 2008)- Cheers!(which I never watched, just think it is a cool card to have.)

6. Dina Meyer as Donatra (Star Trek: The Quotable Movies - RA 2010)- The best part of the old "Birds of Prey" TV series where she portrayed Barbara Gordon aka Batgirl.

7. Corbin Bernsen as Q2 (ST: TNG Complete Series 1 1987-1991 RA 2011)- LA Law and psych made this one an awesome get.

8. Joan Collins as Edith Keeler (WOST- RA 2010)- Mostly love her for her Siren role on Batman, but good for a Dynasty collection too.

9. John Tesh as Holographic Klingon(ST TNG Complete Series 1 1987-1991 RA 2011)- Not a fan of his music but he co hosted the era of Entertainment Tonight that I grew up with and watched.

10. Famke Janssen as Kamala (WOST RA 2010)- Before she was Jean Grey and Xenia Onatopp- great card for a great role.

Posts: 1314 | Location: Rego Park, NY | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
While I was in Afghanistan, I got into autograph sets.

All of the RH case incentive autographs for the original Star Trek series.

James Bond autographs. (Those who played Bond)

Star Wars IV - VI cast. (Harrison was PoP Century because screw the other prices)

All of the case incentive cards for the Star Trek Captains. (No Avery Brooks yet)

Of course, had to get the Alias J.J. Abrams sig.

Maybe one day I will have a top ten competition. :-)

Posts: 4845 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So Val, I guess that despite our effort to try to revive this topic by tweaking it a bit, it has still come to an end. Too bad because it could have provided collectors with info on autograph cards that they did not know were in certain sets.

On a broader note, this is an example of a thread that could have provided a decent conversation on a non-confrontational topic, but only a handful of people wanted to contribute to it. So the thread goes to the old topic graveyard. Yet people complain that the forum is getting light as compared to something else.

You can't read what collectors don't write. If you never say anything, no one will disagree with you, but where's the fun in that? Big Grin

Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
I think that one of the problems is that the topic easily turns from folks talking about their favorite cards to bragging about their most valuable/rare cards. They aren't necessarily the same thing and some people might be intimidated to list their faves when others are bragging about their 18 case incentives and whatnot because they don't feel like their lists matter.
I thought about listing my ten favorites and the reasons why they matter to me but just never got around to it. I wanted to take a few days to really ponder my list but then I forgot about it Wink

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Yes Obi, you're right that some people might view certain threads as a competition Big Grin, but it's also because we place a price on these autographs and monetary value can get confused with personal value. Top 10 to some collectors means the hardest to find and the hardest to find is often the most expensive. So it's not always bragging just for the sake of bragging.

I would like to see all kinds of Top 10 autograph lists with any link, especially the ones with common cards. Collectors don't always see or remember the checklists. There are cheap, common autographs in almost every set that are signed by celebrities that I know from other things. Some of them may be very well known in another title, but very expensive there. In the alternate set, they still may not be commons, but they are much more affordable when not appearing in the signature role. I personally will always prefer to pick up that secondary certified autograph, rather than waste money on the primary role. Other collectors only want the primary title, which is their choice, but they have to pay for it.

To me a list of the best really cheap autograph cards would be great and it gives other collectors info about what is out there. Showing how far you can stretch your collecting budget would be a real competition. Wink

And I still would like to see your list Obi. Smile

Picture of rwn410
posted Hide Post
Well in my very early post in this thread I did exactly that with two of my mentions - Ian McKellen and Judi Dench. Brilliant actors and practical national treasures, whose cards from odd franchises are incredibly under valued for the brilliance of the actors. I gave my reason for why the cards in my last post matter to me - being my first pull, or the day I pulled it on, adds extra personal value.

Anyhow, other than those two, here's another 8 from me that came very close to my top 10 and probably moreso fit the newer criteria through their other roles or what other 'collections' of mine they contribute more towards:

Dawn French/The Fat Lady - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban Update
Joanna Lumley/The English Girl - James Bond Mission Logs

In very much the same capacity, these ladies are practically British national treasures. Bond and Harry Potter are fantastic sets for producing autographs from some fantastic UK actors, and there are a host of other actors whose autographs I would love to own across those sets. Dawn and Joanna are some of the greatest comediennes around too.

Sean Bean /Alec Trevelyan - Bond 50th Anniversay

I do live in Bath at the moment but I grew up in/pretty much my entire family is from Yorkshire, and my parents love Sean Bean. So many films and TV they've watched over the years for no other reason than it had Sean Bean in it. (Christmas gift rule of thumb: DVD with Sean Bean in it.) That's literally how they got into Game of Thrones actually and you can imagine my mother's dispair/denial when Ned got the chop. Sharpe is one of those things I remember my parents being massive fans of when I was a kid and it's just continued for the past two decades. I've seen so much of his work over the years - he's been in a metric f**k tonne of stuff and again is pretty much a living legend. Like I said, the Bond sets are the gifts that keep on giving and compared to Game of Thrones or the Lord of the Rings this card was a lot more accessible. My only gripe is it's smudged, so I'll probably actually pick up his new GOT:S4 card eventually to replace it.

Laura Harris - Stargate Atlantis S3&4
Callum Blue - Smallville Seasons 7-10

I was a fan of Dead Like Me when I was 15, and it definitely encouraged my certainly dry sense of humour. I got into autograph collecting and consequently trading cards about a year or so later, and one of the first things I looked for were Dead Like Me autographs... none of the main cast had signed for anything. (Similar for Scrubs and Rome (at the time)) Since 2006 I've been keeping an eye on sets that get released if I know a DLM actor has appeared in it. Eventually, I remember checking the Stargate Atlantis S3&4 checklist just out of curiousity if Jewel Staite had signed, and I remember going off the page and while loading, glimpsing what I thought was Laura Harris' name. I went back, and sure it was. A quick check with IMDb and boom, the first DLM autograph. Furthermore, it was a minor SA character, and was very cheap and easy to get hold of on eBay for a card I cared more for than the main SA cast! The Faculty is one of those films that I still geek out with my mates and watch/quote, and Severance was a fairly fun British movie full of some great actors who don't get enough recognition too.

With Callum Blue/Mason, he appeared as Zod in Smallville which was a fairly prominent role - of course, Inkworks had gone. He was also main cast for The Tudors, though his character basically disappeared and he didn't sign for that set either. Then Cryptozoic got hold of Smallville and finally, his autograph card emerged.

I check each Vampire Diaries checklist with anticipation hoping Jasmine Guy has signed, but those sets always seem geared toward the impossibly too pretty to be believable as human cast members. I'm hoping Ellen Muth signs for Hannibal, another Bryan Fuller show, especially as her character was a strong nod to her role in Dead Like Me. I have no idea about Mandy Patinkin, I feel like if Artbox were still around (?) that Homeland might have been their cup of tea.

Gabriel Macht/The Spirit - The Spirit

I really looked forward to this film - great cast and incredibly stylish - to the point I distinctly remember its release date exactly being the 2nd January 2008 but I had AS-Level exams running from about the 6th until the end of the month so skipped this one at the cinema. I know, it's not that great a film overall - the dialogue is plain painful, but it was still good fun visually. I enjoyed Sin City which was obviously a bit of an influence on it and liked that The Spirit provided a Jaime King autograph. A few years later, and Suits became/is one of my favourite current shows on the box and very stylish in a different way. Harvey Specter is brilliant, quotable, and so I picked up Gabriel Macht's autograph. Getting one with the sticker actually aligned was some good eBay trawling. I was pleased to see Meghan Markle sign for Fringe and I've literally started binge-watching Orphan Black and hope to see Patrick J Adams sign for the upcoming set in a similar capacity to build my Suits set.

Burn Gorman/Karl Tanner - Game of Thrones Season 4

If anyone takes a look at the early posts of the GOT:S4 thread they will see that I singled out Burn's autograph as one that I was hoping to see announced for that set despite his character being less prominent than most (definitely memorable though.) He was scheduled to sign for Pacific Rim and when that set got reconfigured, his autograph was what I was most disappointed about. I also followed Revenge as autographs were announced to see if he'd appear, but no cigar. He's a fantastic actor and as with Dead Like Me, Torchwood is one of those programmes I enjoyed and the actors within - yet none of them had an autograph card until both Burn and John Barrowman in Arrow this year. Indira Varma, who also signed for GOT:S4, also played a particularly compelling guest-ish character in Torchwood, and as I mentioned above, Rome was also a show I got invested in and had looked for autographs, where she played Niobe. I can't say I've been too fussed with Ellaria this season but she and Oberyn were some of the highlights of Season 4 (as you might determine from my choice of avatar). I haven't picked her card up yet but it would definitely be included here if I had.

Til Schweiger/Sean - Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life

I've written so much in this post already so I'll just say: Hugo Stiglitz and extrapolate. Smile

Posts: 398 | Location: UK | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rwn410:

you can imagine my mother's dispair/denial when Ned got the chop.

Sean Bean's character died? Well that's certainly unusual.

Posts: 2200 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rwn410
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
quote:
Originally posted by rwn410:

you can imagine my mother's dispair/denial when Ned got the chop.

Sean Bean's character died? Well that's certainly unusual.

Yeah, it's almost as if there wasn't a level of irony in calling him a living legend, either.

Edit: I don't know, it's 5:30am and I'm maybe reading too much into it but giving the benefit of the doubt you're not deliberately being patronising, and blaming it on poor humour:internet translation.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rwn410,

Posts: 398 | Location: UK | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post