Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Marvel Universe 1994 Error Card Discovery?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marvel Universe 1994 Error Card Discovery?
 Login/Join

posted
I was recently going through some 1994 Marvel Universe cards and something caught my eye. At first i did not even think about it, then I looked closer. On all the card faces there is a gold foil M.U stamped logo. Card number 116 (Shadowcat) is missing the complete gold foil stamping on the bottom left side. So I took a magnifier glass on looked very close. What I see is a very faint outline of the logo where the stamp would be, and it feels very slightly raised like it was an error in the printing of the card. Maybe the machine that does this process missed this card? Then i though well hey what if it was worn down by wear and abrasion over time> Then I though maybe someone for some reason actualy scratched it off. But looking very close, the condition of artwork on the card is flawless, so that theory went out the window cause there would be scratches around it. I actualy even took a knife and tried scratching off about 12 like cards that were in poor shape and could not get the same effect. SO it leaves me with the questions, was this a mistake in the manufacturing process? Is this a common thing for that particular card? Or is this an intentional error by the maker? Has anyone else ever seen this before?

Posts: 94 | Location: Florida | Registered: January 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kane1
posted Hide Post
I have a Cyber Gold card from X-Men Chromium with stamp, but not the gold ink.

About the Shadowcat I need to see my set to tell you.

Posts: 242 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
These were pretty common back in the day. You had two main reasons that this happened. The first is that the machine ran out and they made it through without the gold foil being applied. The second is that the cards stuck together in the pack and when they were pulled apart the gold foil stayed with the back of the card on top of it. When the second one happens there is usually some gold left behind so it sounds like it was the first one that you guys have.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have a 1990 Wolverine with a M22Iceman mounted upside down on back by the fatory.
quote:
Originally posted by peterc:
I was recently going through some 1994 Marvel Universe cards and something caught my eye. At first i did not even think about it, then I looked closer. On all the card faces there is a gold foil M.U stamped logo. Card number 116 (Shadowcat) is missing the complete gold foil stamping on the bottom left side. So I took a magnifier glass on looked very close. What I see is a very faint outline of the logo where the stamp would be, and it feels very slightly raised like it was an error in the printing of the card. Maybe the machine that does this process missed this card? Then i though well hey what if it was worn down by wear and abrasion over time> Then I though maybe someone for some reason actualy scratched it off. But looking very close, the condition of artwork on the card is flawless, so that theory went out the window cause there would be scratches around it. I actualy even took a knife and tried scratching off about 12 like cards that were in poor shape and could not get the same effect. SO it leaves me with the questions, was this a mistake in the manufacturing process? Is this a common thing for that particular card? Or is this an intentional error by the maker? Has anyone else ever seen this before?

Posts: 1 | Location: new jersey | Registered: January 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post