Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    World's Largest NIGHT of the LIVING DEAD Trading Card Collection
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

World's Largest NIGHT of the LIVING DEAD Trading Card Collection
 Login/Join

posted
Thanks to my friends at COMC for allowing me to talk about my NotLD trading cards!

https://blog.comc.com/2019/02/...-of-the-living-dead/

Posts: 129 | Location: Maryland | Registered: February 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Very interesting reading. Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much for reading, do you collect NotLD or anything similar? Speaking of promo's (promoking) that Tom Breygent promo from the 2012 set took me forever to locate! I had no idea previously that there were people who only collected promos. I had to start banging on their doors to find this though!

Posts: 129 | Location: Maryland | Registered: February 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Well since you asked, I collect any and all promo cards. That's my niche. Night of the Living Dead is a true cult classic from my generation. Well done for back then. Some people have a passion for collecting and others look at us as if we were zombies. I guess it's in the genes... Keep on collecting!!

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Interesting article, thanks for sharing!

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That's a great article -- thanks for linking it.

Posts: 2198 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Loved reading this article! I had no idea some of these cards ever existed.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for reading, Ted. I gave you a shout out in there also if you noticed! Yeah, many of the NotLD cards are pretty rare and were not previously cataloged anywhere so it's taken a lot of digging to find all these. I wouldn't be surprised if there are other cards I don't know about but I have yet to meet anyone to challenge my collection or introduce me to anything I wasn't aware of for quite some time. Always looking though! Thanks again!

posted Hide Post
Thanks to Bill, webjon and promoking too! Glad you guys have enjoyed the post.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BILLZEE
posted Hide Post
Its a great article... Thanks for posting.

What are you missing? I have a good bit of Romero and NOTLD goodies myself.

Posts: 2236 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad you liked it, BILLZEE. Always happy to talk to another Romero/NotLD collector. I'm still on the lookout for the following:

Any 2013 Living Dead Festival cards; 2008 George Romero Donruss Americana II # 248 gold proof, platinun proof, relic & relic/signature signature cards; 2009 George Romero Panini Americana #52 signature-only card; 2011 George Romero Panini Americana #57 signature-only, relic-only; Unstoppable sketch cards by Ashleigh Popplewell or Elfie Lebouleux; cast/crew business cards or autographed common cards from any set; alternative border 1993 Imagine silver border promo cards, 2010 Breygent sketch cards; 2011 Famous Fabrics cut auto cards; 2012 Leaf George Romero cut signature

Thanks!

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting. Interesting article and good to know about some of the more obscure cards out there.

I remember seeing NOTLD as a kid for the first time at 2 in the morning or something like that, a real creepy classic.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing your NotLD story, X.

I see promoking is now selling his On Location set on eBay. Very good cards!

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Johnny -- if you are still following this thread, I have a question:

The Tradingcarddb.com website lists the green-bordered set, and it mentions it having 10 autographed cards, and it pictures one of them -- it's a plain card with a border, a NOTLD logo, and lots of room for a signature. It looks like a supplement to a base set - an early chase set.

The original ads for the set in the Wrapper in 1988 only describe three autos, and from pictures, it looks like they were signed on the backs of base cards. (also, it doesn't mention border colors, and since the Wrapper was B&W, you can't tell anything about the color from the ad).

Can you explain the discrepancy? Were the 10 green-bordered autos issued in conjunction with the base set, in the spring of 1988? or were they later?

Posts: 2198 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Bill, thanks for the excellent question!

Not only does Tradingcarddb.com list 10 autograph cards, I list 10 in my checklist:

https://johnnymartyr.wordpress...rading-card-history/

Originally, in 1988, only three autograph cards were an option. They included: George Romero, John Russo and Russ Streiner. In 1993, however, Imagine got 7 others to sign: Bill Hinzman, Judith O'Dea, Karl Hardman, Keith Wayne, Judy Ridley, Marilyn Eastman, and Kyra Schon.

These cards were not available in the original sealed complete set that Imagine sold in 1988, they were only available at conventions beginning in 1993. Bob Michellucci still has some of these for sale.

Additionally, there were some other variations on autographed green border cards.

--Three green border cards that do not feature the NotLD logo on the front of the card, just a solid green border. Romero, Russo and Streiner signed these.

--blank, unsigned autograph cards. These were given to some of the cast/crew to sign in person at conventions and are probably the most rare today as they were either signed and given away/sold or trashed. I only have one unsigned green border in my personal collection.

--One might also count the "corner card" which is a roughly 7x7" square card which was signed either by Romero, Russo and Streiner or all ten cast/crew listed above. Again, these were available only at conventions beginning in 1993.

I've been speaking with a collector recently who also believes that the 1998 NotLD card set was the first set of non-sports trading cards in history to include authorized autographs in a set. Pretty rad.

posted Hide Post
Here's my set of 10 autograph cards + 1 unsigned.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Awesome stuff Johnny! Very impressive. Eek

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Logan! Do you collect NotLD too?

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Martyr:
Thanks Logan! Do you collect NotLD too?

No, sorry to say that I don't. But I do love the film. And I always admire when someone is dedicated to one subject like this. I wish I had that dedication to one theme where I could knock it out of the park like that but I'm too all over the map with my collecting.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Those cards are great!

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post