Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    World's Largest NIGHT of the LIVING DEAD Trading Card Collection
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

World's Largest NIGHT of the LIVING DEAD Trading Card Collection
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Martyr:

--blank, unsigned autograph cards. These were given to some of the cast/crew to sign in person at conventions and are probably the most rare today as they were either signed and given away/sold or trashed. I only have one unsigned green border in my personal collection.

It's actually really good to know that the unsigned version is almost non-existant - it means that any signed ones you do come across are likely authentic.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've been speaking with a collector recently who also believes that the 1998 NotLD card set was the first set of non-sports trading cards in history to include authorized autographs in a set. Pretty rad.

Yup....that's me. Wink

I might correct 1998 to 1988

So far we have narrowed it down to the Tom Savini autograph from the Grande Illusions release and the 3 signatures in the original release of the green border NotLD set.

Can't seem to pin down which one was released first as it looks like they came out relatively close to each other in the same year.

I recently purchased a sealed NotLD set from Johnny which I plan to open. I think I have decided to record it and also send the set details to Jeff Allender as he does not have this on his checklist page yet.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Ok..just saw this from Bill Mullins on another thread.

Certainly helpful information!

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:

I dug out my old issues of the Wrapper to see what was first.

Night of the Living Dead was first advertised in the Apr-May 1988 issue of the Wrapper, and included 3 autographs.

Grande Illusion was first advertised in the Aug-Oct issue. The ad said it would have a release date of 9/10/1988 (the NOTLD ad did not mention a release date). It was advertised with just the Savini autograph.

So it looks like NOTLD was the first NS set to include factory autographs.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a great point, Ted!

mykdude, thanks for the correction on the 98 to 88. Just a typo.

Let me know when you break open that sealed set, that's going to be quite a moment!

WOW, great information on the advertising and release dates from Bill. NotLD autographs for the win!

Posts: 130 | Location: Maryland | Registered: February 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
quote:
Thanks Logan! Do you collect NotLD too?

No, sorry to say that I don't. But I do love the film. And I always admire when someone is dedicated to one subject like this. I wish I had that dedication to one theme where I could knock it out of the park like that but I'm too all over the map with my collecting.

I used to be all over the map also. It's still hard to focus sometimes but I'm still trying!

Posts: 130 | Location: Maryland | Registered: February 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Johnny,

I noticed that the NotLD set was numbered to 68. Do you know if that was intentional as to mark the year the film was released?

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
So let me get this straight:

The 1988 green-bordered set has 68 base cards, and was issued with 3 green-bordered autos (Romero, Russo, Streiner).

Then, in 1990, the red-bordered set was issued with the same 68 base cards, and with five auto cards: Russo, Romero, Streiner, and Schon and Hinzman.
(note: your webpage shows seven signed red cards -- did you get some blank cards and get O'Dea and Ridley to sign in person?)

And then, in 1993, more green-bordered auto cards were released: Wayne, O’Dea, Ridley, Hardman, Eastman, Schon, Hinzman.

So it looks like signed Schon and Hinzman were available as red cards for 3 years before they were available as green cards -- is this right?

Posts: 2201 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill, sort of...

1988 - GREEN: 68 base cards + 3 auto cards (Romero, Russo Streiner) released. You could either buy only the complete base card set or the "master set" of 68 + 3

1990 - RED: 68 base cards released but I'm unclear as to if these were issued the same way as the green borders (68+3) or if auto's were only available later. I can find out about it and update here. And yes, my Judith cards are recent signatures of blanks, I know of only one other person who's been able to do that.

1993 - No new green borders were released per se. The additional green autograph cards (Wayne, O'Dea, Ridley, Hardman, Eastman, Schon and Hinzman) were pre-signed and sold for ONLY at conventions from 1993 forward. This was the year of the Zombie Jamboree and 25th anniversary which was as close to a full cast reunion as has ever happened hence the uptick in merchandising. In addition to the standard 2.5x3.5" cards, the corner card from the green border set as well as uncut green and red border sheets were available at conventions signed by all mentioned EXCEPT Wayne. Apparently the signed cards didn't sell very well since in those days because you could just get signatures for free yourself, which people preferred. The signed cards didn't begin selling until Wayne died later that year and following conventions did not feature as many cast/crew members.

1993 also saw the release of the silver border promo cards and the On Location set.

I bought nearly all my Imagine auto cards in 1998 from the designer of these cards, Bob Michelucci. Bill Hinzman also had blank red borders that he signed on site for fans.

Back to the red border auto cards, I will find out more about how/when those were released. It's a good question!

posted Hide Post
I've got an answer about the red border autographs from Mr. Michelucci already.

He says that just like the '88 green borders, the '90 red borders were sold as 68+3 (Romero, Russo, Streiner) originally.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Johnny,

I noticed that the NotLD set was numbered to 68. Do you know if that was intentional as to mark the year the film was released?

Mr. Michelucci confirmed that the 68 base set is to commemorate NotLD's release year.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Are the green-bordered/red-bordered auto cards blank backed? Are they numbered?

Posts: 2201 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Are the green-bordered/red-bordered auto cards blank backed? Are they numbered?

The backs of the auto cards are the same as the common cards but lack any numbering. Thanks for your question!

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Romero's archives went to the University of Pittsburgh.

link