Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Star Wars Rogue 1 Mission Briefing Monday
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars Rogue 1 Mission Briefing Monday
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
As with the Preacher set this summer, looks like Topps is selling a NEW 6 card set (5 cards plus a bonus card) for Star Wars, starting today

$ 25 a set. A new one every week Frown

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The first set is 5 cards plus 1 bonus card

Set # 2 on wards may be just 5 cards. Guess we'll see each week

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
This is from TOPPS Now, small set every Monday. I couldn't find where it says for how many Mondays.

Great idea, because you know, we really need more Star Wars cards. Twak Big Grin

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Sorry, wasn't looking close enough, this is not under the TOPPS Now brand, just TOPPS. Now I am confused because I thought these custom ordered type sets was the whole point of having TOPPS Now. Confused

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Sorry, wasn't looking close enough, this is not under the TOPPS Now brand, just TOPPS. Now I am confused because I thought these custom ordered type sets was the whole point of having TOPPS Now. Confused

Topps Now is being used for things as they happen. These are more like the many Garbage Pail Kids -- timely in a sense but not "now."

Topps has been experimenting with all sorts of print-on-demand cards, not just Topps Now.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1177 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I wonder if there will be a new set every week until the movie opens in December

Anyone know ?

Picture of RedFive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
I wonder if there will be a new set every week until the movie opens in December

Anyone know ?

Yes, here is what the Topps website shows:

"New card sets will be made available every Monday for one week at a time prior to the release of the Star Wars: Rogue One movie!"

Posts: 440 | Location: USA | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Set 2 is now available from Topps

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Print run of 206 for Set 1.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow that is a small print run. Had they kept it the same price point as Prescher and their Baseball Sets would have sold 1206. Shows you what greed/licensing fees does. Glad we all stood up to them.

Posts: 70 | Location: New York | Registered: September 18, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
The low print run is likely due to the lack of advertising. If it wasn't for this thread, I wouldn't have even known that these mini sets exist.

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Obi Wan Chrisobi:
The low print run is likely due to the lack of advertising. If it wasn't for this thread, I wouldn't have even known that these mini sets exist.

Yes these custom made, print to order sets, is an idea that I think someone dreamed up to blend a Kickstarter type campaign with instant gratification. However it is being set up so fast that neither the collectors or the cards are ready for it. Once that first week goes by, that is the highest number of complete print runs that can be achieved. So if 206 is the number, you can have more weekly sets printed going forward, but the most people that can ever have them all together is 206. That's if the whole 206 continue to order each week until it's over, which may not happen and probably won't.

The interesting thing to me, since I'm not getting involved anyway, is just how are these small custom sets going to be treated by price guides. If they continue to be made, will they be listed as one whole set or in increments? Will it matter that less than 200 sets may exist? Will there be enough activity on these types of cards to even track them? Will their rarity make them valuable or will the lack of interest in orders simply translate to small sets that no one wants at any time?

It really is a matter of opinion as regards their future worth, but I do agree with Kevins that if they had made the sets cheaper the increase in volume sold would have made up for the price reduction.

I also agree with Obi that this should have had more advertising. Also it should have been announced a couple of weeks sooner. By the time the word gets out potential buyers will have already lost the first set and maybe not bother at all.

So I'm agreeing with everybody tonight and wouldn't it be nice if we could start our own card company? Big Grin

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
I didn't bother. Too many sets released already. Although I do like the idea.

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Updated print runs:

Set 1 - 206
Set 2 - 226

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I learned about it through the emails I get from the Topps store, almost daily

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I read that these are supposed to run for 7 weeks, so 7 diff sets ?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen any of Set 1 come up for sale you know where, just Set 2 on wards

So I guess if you didn't order Set 1 from Topps, you are now sunk

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Updated print runs:

Set 1 - 206
Set 2 - 226
Set 3 - 218

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Set 6 is now out

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Updated print runs:

Set 1 - 206
Set 2 - 226
Set 3 - 218
Set 4 - 212
Set 5 - 224