Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Shipping advice needed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shipping advice needed
 Login/Join

Picture of pcetodd
posted
I'm making a purchase and need to set up how to get it shipped. There's a little story behind the situation.

A longtime friend can no longer get around and is housebound, on oxygen 24-7, and in a wheel chair. I'm buying his collection. He has a collection that consists of four or five 3" binders, 2 cards in each pocket.

He cannot ship them due to his condition. He does not want to remove the cards from the binders, so the need to ship them in the binders.

So...I'm not sure what to do. He lives on the other side of the country from me (I'm in the northeast, he's in California). Are there shipping companies that will go to a house and pack something up, them ship it? I'm guessing from the amount of cards crammed into those binders, cardboard wont hold the weight. So maybe small wooden crates?

I hope it won't cost more to ship than to buy the cards.

Any ideas?

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Doesn't he have a neighbor or relative that can pack them up and ship them for him?

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I am not sure how you can get something shipped for the person. If you can get the packages to Fed Ex or UPS they will box them for a fee.

I wouldn't recommend shipping the cards in a binder. I have had cards shipped in a binder before get ruined by the binder rings. If nothing else take the pages out of the binder and wrap them or put them in manilla envelopes.

Maybe if you post the city they are in someone from Card Talk can help.

Good luck.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pcetodd:

I hope it won't cost more to ship than to buy the cards.

Any ideas?

you can hope. How about a nice drive to California?

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
He lives in San Diego.

Wolfe, that nice drive would take me 46 hours non-stop. I'm going to say no to that.

I dont want to ship in binders. I'd much rather have them in boxes.

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
Doesn't he have a neighbor or relative that can pack them up and ship them for him?

Maybe a neighbor. No relatives there, they are all in D.C.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
A man who is that disabled must have a home aide or caregiver or be in some sort of assisted living situation just to function on a daily basis. You need to talk to whoever is taking care of him.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pcetodd:
He lives in San Diego.

I am pretty sure there is or was a Card Talker in SD -- they used to post in the SDCC show section all the time. . . can't recall the ID though. Might be worth checking out.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
A man who is that disabled must have a home aide or caregiver or be in some sort of assisted living situation just to function on a daily basis. You need to talk to whoever is taking care of him.

Yeah was thinking he must have someone helping him. Didn't think to ask that last night when I talked to him. I'll find out.

NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
Take the pages out of the binders and wrap them in bubble wrap very tightly. Stack them in a sturdy cardboard box and they will be fine.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post
Todd,
If you want to send them to my PO Box in San Diego, I can deliver them to the address.
Ace

Posts: 2894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ace of Hearts:
Todd,
If you want to send them to my PO Box in San Diego, I can deliver them to the address.
Ace

Hi Ace! Thanks for the offer. Its the otherway around though. Someone would need to pick up the binders at his house, then pack and send them to me.

Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
Whoohoo! I found someone to help me. I can't wait to see what I got. It's kind of sight unseen: I did look at his collection in 1999 or so. But I dont recall much of it and who knows what else is in there in the 10 years+ he collected afterward.

I expect some trade stock from this. Hopefully something someone here wants.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post
If it's promo stuff I might.

Posts: 2894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ace of Hearts:
If it's promo stuff I might.

When I get around to it, I'll post a list.