Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Cards that have significantly increased in value.
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 33
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cards that have significantly increased in value.
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
https://variety.com/2019/film/...-the-dog-1203229379/

That Variety article must be prior to the movie being made. Apart from saying that Elizabeth Moss is the star of "The Power of the Dog", it has Cumberbatch in the wrong role. He plays the bad brother who hates the Dunst character. He is such a method actor, he wouldn't speak to her the whole time they were filming. He must be a pleasure to work with. Wink

Posts: 10374 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
So RJ Mitte (same card) sold for:

$1580 + $4 shipping
$50,100 + $12 shipping
and finally
$104.50 + $50 shipping

Insane. I don't understand the purpose of whatever was happening here. . .

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Carrie Underwood American Idol autograph sold for $287 -- first I have seen in a while, but in looking at various sold sites it seems like that was actually a lower end recent sale of hers and some of her American Idol autos have brought as much as $500.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another PSA 10 Luke Skywalker sold for $55,000.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203690542514

Posts: 29 | Location: Bonaire, GA | Registered: November 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Capt Jon1:
Another PSA 10 Luke Skywalker sold for $55,000.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203690542514

I have one that is in really great shape, even at an 8 or 9 it will be worth getting graded.

Posts: 4845 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Which came out first -- the Wonder Bread cards, or the Topps cards? That is to say, which is Luke's true rookie card?

Posts: 2199 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Which came out first -- the Wonder Bread cards, or the Topps cards? That is to say, which is Luke's true rookie card?

That's a good debatable question, but whose rules are we going by, 1977 or 2021? Wink

Either way I think the answer is that regular Topps #1 is the more important card with the higher demand and price. I say that because the mainstream product always beat the food product or give away product and #1 in those days was always seen as a condition sensitive card that would have fewer mint copies remaining. Just think rubber bands and being in the front of every stack. Big Grin

Now the debatable part is that in 1977 there were no non-sport rookie cards. That is a recently applied invention/concept to jack up sales. However, if you were to have applied the term back then, there were no true rookie cards either. It just was a rookie or it wasn't.

Any card produced in the first year that a sports player appeared in uniform and played on the team was regarded as a rookie. You could have 10 rookie cards and they would all be true. Sometimes a card in a brand in the next year could still be called a rookie card. Strict calendar appearance or first one out didn't matter. The sports card market has since tightened up the rules on designating rookie cards because there became too many.

Now "best rookie card" would matter, as some products and some rarity made certain true rookies better than other true rookies. So all rookie cards, even when properly categorized, were never equal.

Neither TOPPS Star Wars #1 or Wonder Bread Star Wars #1 is a rookie card to me, but the best card is the TOPPS one as I see it.

Posts: 10374 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Do you think it's worth getting these crummy old cards graded if I want to sell them? Unfortunately, the Luke card is the one in the poorest condition. What does it cost to grade a card?
BTW - I HATE grading!

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Yes, if you are looking to sell, but only if you know they will grade high. You need 9 and better for good money. Anything in an 8 wouldn't garner much of a premium and less than an 8 you may as well sell raw.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I've never had a card graded before. Some of these are probably an 8 or better, some definitely not. All are definitely up for grabs.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So just checking the Non-Sport Almanac, there are five Star Wars products released in 1977 that could be deemed as having character rookies, if someone needs to try it. There's TOPPS cards and stickers, Mexican, OPC, Tip Top Ice Cream and Wonder Bread.

The TOPPS cards for sure were massively overproduced, OPC always much less. The #1 isn't listed alone, but might go for $3 - $5. The complete small Wonder Bread set is $20, with every card at $2.

How you make that into a $55,000 sale is beyond me, but that is what a PSA 10 gets you from someone I guess, but you also have to have access to a buyer like that who must be living in an investment bubble. No other way to explain it other than some rich people are crazy. Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I'm not greedy.
I'd settle for half of 55 grand.
It's no WONDER people spend their BREAD so loosely if they are crazy!

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Your cards do have a certain charm in that they all were likely issued inside the bag, with no wrapper, directly against the bread loaf. I was very young but I remember us getting 2 or 3 singles as issued, in the bread bag (Wonder Bread was expensive!). I think we got Tarkin, Stormtroopers, and a ship.
Anyway, those condition sensitive black-border cards were 9s at best out of the bag and that number dropped with each grubby hand that pawed at them, and every time one of us put it in a pocket, or used it to trace a drawing. In those terms, yours are absolutely gorgeous.

Rather, the big money high end cards are from complete sets and additional singles that were never inside a bread bag, with many of those sold by a super collector through his Witcraft(?) website in the 90's.

Several years ago, a "boutique" type cardmaker (think Etsy on steroids) made a remastered reprint set of the Wonder Bread cards, but included additional subjects not in the original set (like Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru) along with, for the first time, a Wonder Bread wax pack wrapper. They were possibly/probably unlicensed, so not for everyone due to that, but exceedingly well-made.

I've always wondered why Topps hasn't reprinted this set in one of their Heritage or Archives series. I can't imagine Wonder Bread owns the rights to the images or card design over Lucasfilm, who could let Topps reissue them.
Topps could do a several hundred card set in that style with all the characters now, and I think it would be very popular, especially the low-numbered parallels of the big names.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
So just checking the Non-Sport Almanac, there are five Star Wars products released in 1977 that could be deemed as having character rookies, if someone needs to try it. There's TOPPS cards and stickers, Mexican, OPC, Tip Top Ice Cream and Wonder Bread.

The TOPPS cards for sure were massively overproduced, OPC always much less. The #1 isn't listed alone, but might go for $3 - $5. The complete small Wonder Bread set is $20, with every card at $2.

How you make that into a $55,000 sale is beyond me, but that is what a PSA 10 gets you from someone I guess, but you also have to have access to a buyer like that who must be living in an investment bubble. No other way to explain it other than some rich people are crazy. Big Grin

These Wonder Bread cards were produced in mass quantity, too, thanks to the brand being sold nationwide (I think). It looks like current raw (non-graded) complete set sales are about $20 for good, $60 for excellent, and $100 for Near Mint. Whether the buyers (or subsequent grading companies) agree with those descriptions once they receive them may be another story.
The price multipliers are definitely in effect on those graded 9s and 10's.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

I also collected Star Wars promo cards up to about 2000 I think I purchased my Wonderbread set from the Withcraft site but not sure ( looking at it now it looks pretty good most well centered ).
I am not sure what it cost now but it was not too expensive but I am not a fan of grading so no matter what it is said to be worth graded that will not happen. Anyway grading them probably be more than I can afford .
I have seen on E Bay high graded cards of the set

Posts: 759 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, there were a ton of these distributed. I remember seeing NRMT sets for $15 selling slowly about twenty years ago. When I check Completed Listings now, singles and sets are are going for 4 times more and above as you noted so the Almanac needs to be updated on that. A couple of years ago, I found a nice single for a buck at a flea market and I think the price was a little better because I got it in a small lot. More people are price-savvy these days but you still might find a good deal at garage sales, flea markets, and even antique shops.

I remember Witcraft - had nice stuff for sale. The owner wrote a few informative articles for "The Wrapper" back in the 90's too.

quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
quote:

These Wonder Bread cards were produced in mass quantity, too, thanks to the brand being sold nationwide (I think). It looks like current raw (non-graded) complete set sales are about $20 for good, $60 for excellent, and $100 for Near Mint. Whether the buyers (or subsequent grading companies) agree with those descriptions once they receive them may be another story.
The price multipliers are definitely in effect on those graded 9s and 10's.

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I see sets graded 6 to 8 going for $450 to about $620. I haven't had any cards graded nor have I bought any graded cards either.

I think I built my set over time, finding the last one I needed, the Jawa card, sometime in the late 90's.

quote:
Originally posted by piko:
quote:

I also collected Star Wars promo cards up to about 2000 I think I purchased my Wonderbread set from the Withcraft site but not sure ( looking at it now it looks pretty good most well centered ).
I am not sure what it cost now but it was not too expensive but I am not a fan of grading so no matter what it is said to be worth graded that will not happen. Anyway grading them probably be more than I can afford .
I have seen on E Bay high graded cards of the set

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I see sets graded 6 to 8 going for $450 to about $620. I haven't had any cards graded nor have I bought any graded cards either.

Hey Jess,

Are you talking about the complete 16 card Wonder Bread set? I also don't send in cards for grading so I don't know if you could get a bulk deal or if grading would cost a per card fee, but these cards are cheap to begin with, despite their age.

The grading cost alone for the whole set has to be picked up before there is any profit in selling them and I find it hard to believe that anyone wants 6s. Even the 8s are basically the minimum grade that will sell on cards that are not in short supply and aren't hard to find in good condition.

You really need the highest condition 1977 Wonder Bread Star Wars cards to make it worth getting them graded. Rare vintage cards can be desirable even in the 2s and 3s grades, but overproduced 70s cards that everyone socked away in binders need to be graded mint today or just leave them ungraded and keep the hope alive. Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
The TOPPS cards for sure were massively overproduced,

The sell sheet for Topps Empire Strikes Back states over 100 million packs spanning the 5 different series.

Still, overproduced in the age of non sterile collecting means many of them got beat up pretty good.

Posts: 4845 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hey Raven,

Yes, I was talking about complete Wonder Bread sets. I thought it was weird that something either side of PSA7 would get that much unless those cards typically grade 6 or lower as Mykdude said. Bread stains and bouncing around in the bag plus moderate handling later would lead to a small fraction of the cards surviving as a 7-8 or better.

Yeah, I don't really know how grading works. Would sending 16 cards count as a bulk deal or are they used to dealers sending in 50-100 cards?

quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by catskilleagle:

Hey Jess,

Are you talking about the complete 16 card Wonder Bread set? I also don't send in cards for grading so I don't know if you could get a bulk deal or if grading would cost a per card fee, but these cards are cheap to begin with, despite their age.

The grading cost alone for the whole set has to be picked up before there is any profit in selling them and I find it hard to believe that anyone wants 6s. Even the 8s are basically the minimum grade that will sell on cards that are not in short supply and aren't hard to find in good condition.

You really need the highest condition 1977 Wonder Bread Star Wars cards to make it worth getting them graded. Rare vintage cards can be desirable even in the 2s and 3s grades, but overproduced 70s cards that everyone socked away in binders need to be graded mint today or just leave them ungraded and keep the hope alive. Big Grin