Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Cards that have significantly increased in value.
Page 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 33
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cards that have significantly increased in value.
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wow, that Razor-sealed card is her Small Soldiers autograph. That was one I picked as a "card to watch" a few years ago when it was going for about $120. Last year, it was going for just under $200. Did we add to whatever hype was out there and help propel it into the stratosphere?

quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
Kirsten Dunst autographs seem to have dried up and have climbed in price.

Early this year these were selling for $250-300.

2 sales in April

$600 (Razor Sealed) 294950287430
$450 374029114490

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Razor sealed....cracks me up every time I hear it.

Ya think grading companies will start slabbing cards in "sealed" top loaders?

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Razor sealed....cracks me up every time I hear it.

Ya think grading companies will start slabbing cards in "sealed" top loaders?

Isn't that the same question we could ask about the many sealed incentive cards or limited cards that Rittenhouse puts out? Whether a sealed top loader from Razor or RA or anyone else, lots of card collectors want to keep them "seal" intact as a sign of being untouched or genuine.

But graders have to touch them to do the job properly. How can you tell how sharp a corner is when it's supported by plastic? How do you check weight and thickness when you must adjust for the top loader? Do you start evaluating the plastic for scratches as part of the grade? Gets ridiculous fast.

So I say no. Keep the "seal" or get it graded, but you can't have it both ways.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

lots of card collectors want to keep them "seal" intact as a sign of being untouched

what as in untouched by the printers or all the folks at the manufacturers or the guys at Razor who put them in the toploaders? Big Grin

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

lots of card collectors want to keep them "seal" intact as a sign of being untouched

what as in untouched by the printers or all the folks at the manufacturers or the guys at Razor who put them in the toploaders? Big Grin

Yeah, its the same logic as "uncirculated" coins. Who put them in those little cutout cardboard holders? Big Grin Cards with a maker's or seller's seal can still sustain damage getting there.

However time and time again you hear of collectors who only want to buy that RA incentive card at top price if it comes the same way it was sent out.

I slice them all open myself, but financially speaking, I think it's the wrong move for any future sale.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Personally I'll always favor a card that is sealed in a way that makes it more likely the card is authentic.

I guess for an expensive enough card I would pay extra for that too.

The Razor seal isn't infallible as they did buy some of the cards from third parties, but it is better than nothing.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Wow, that Razor-sealed card is her Small Soldiers autograph. That was one I picked as a "card to watch" a few years ago when it was going for about $120. Last year, it was going for just under $200. Did we add to whatever hype was out there and help propel it into the stratosphere?

quote:
Kirsten Dunst autographs seem to have dried up and have climbed in price.

Early this year these were selling for $250-300.

2 sales in April

$600 (Razor Sealed) 294950287430
$450 374029114490

There's some thought that she would very likely appear in the next Tobey Maguire Spidey movie if indeed another is ever made.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Robert Downey Jr. Iron Man auto (as Iron Man) RA Sealed.

$8388 (384969069448)

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Been watching the Topps 75th Anniversary diamond set. Not only are they drying up but prices are moving up.

Still need to find Mars Attacks and Wacky packages to complete my set.

You are only 2 cards shy of the complete Diamond set? This must have taken some time along with a nice chunk of coin! I'm assuming around $2000-$3000+ (minimum) for the 98 Diamond Cards??

I am after #97 Terminator 2 Modern Gloss + any of the 3 remaining Print Plates (I have the Black Print Plate) as i am collecting just The Terminator cards. If you happen to have any Big Grin

Posts: 22 | Location: Australia | Registered: March 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Wow! I am sure the individual that sold me this card is hating life right about now. I got it in a bulk buy of 50 diamond sparkle cards for $150

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17534...2:g:Q-sAAOSwTIlixfq2

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Naw...went after em early. Actually I have nearly two sets. Invested about 4 or 5 hundred. Plus I bought a case and pulled a Stallone buy back sig. Probably the most value I got out of any card set I have collected.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Tonyz:
You are only 2 cards shy of the complete Diamond set? This must have taken some time along with a nice chunk of coin! I'm assuming around $2000-$3000+ (minimum) for the 98 Diamond Cards??

I am after #97 Terminator 2 Modern Gloss + any of the 3 remaining Print Plates (I have the Black Print Plate) as i am collecting just The Terminator cards. If you happen to have any Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Wow! I am sure the individual that sold me this card is hating life right about now. I got it in a bulk buy of 50 diamond sparkle cards for $150

WOW. Congrats on your steal of a deal. Nice.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

WOW. Congrats on your steal of a deal. Nice.

I never imagined a non-autograph card I own would ever reach for the $1k mark.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, congratulations on finding that deal. Topps 75th is my favorite set of the past 10-15 years.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I never imagined a non-autograph card I own would ever reach for the $1k mark.

100% agree. Strange times. . .

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Does it say on the card that it's a 1/1?

quote:
Naw...went after em early. Actually I have nearly two sets. Invested about 4 or 5 hundred. Plus I bought a case and pulled a Stallone buy back sig. Probably the most value I got out of any card set I have collected.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Tonyz:

posted Hide Post
It is strange to me that the number of collectors in the hobby today is far lower than it was 15 years ago.

Certainly there are more collectors now than there were 2 years ago, but no where near where we were 15+ years ago, but the prices on many of these cards are higher now than they have ever been. . .

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Does it say on the card that it's a 1/1?

No this set is numbered to 75

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Liam Neeson Batman Begins just broke the $3K barrier. Sold on a BO at $3150

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28482...rksid=p2047675.l2557

posted Hide Post
I’ve spent the last 12 months clearing out my collection (thanks if you’ve bought) and it’s been odd seeing some of the prices given the BIN availability on eBay.

One thing that’s struck me though has been the location of the cards - I’m in the UK and some of mine (low level value, I’d say) have gone for significantly more at auction than they’re available elsewhere on BIN but it looks like all of those are overseas - so maybe it looks like the cards have gone for a higher value but really it’s a UK bidder wanting to avoid overseas shipping and taxes. They’ve paid more for the card to avoid more on those.

On the other side, I know (from some less-than-pleasant messages) that some overseas bidders have been put off bidding due to eBay’s international shipping charges (I’ve used GSP throughout) so I know that some cards, including ones people have quoted on here at times, will have sold for less because international bidders have been put off by those same shipping costs and taxes.

Posts: 213 | Location: SY, England | Registered: October 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post