Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Cards that have significantly increased in value.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 34
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cards that have significantly increased in value.
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Saw on another site that some 1992 Olympicards from Impel are bringing big money. Searched on eBay and graded examples of certain cards are selling for ~$500. Boxes are ~$150.

Posts: 5417 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
Searched on eBay and graded examples of certain cards are selling for ~$500. Boxes are ~$150.

That's really dumb. No one ever wanted those Olympic cards, which is why they stopped making them. The only issues with any demand were of the USA Basketball team when Jordan and other pro stars were included and pictured. Those are probably the cards so hot to grade now.

Beside that, the only thing the Olympic cards were good for were when old time autograph collectors sent them out looking for TTM signatures. I picked up several from a collection years ago, including a Bruce Jenner autograph. Maybe I should send that in to slab. Big Grin

Posts: 10401 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Topps made Olympic sets in 2012, 2014, 2016, 2018, and had a set planned for 2020, but they were delayed with the Games themselves.

Panini Americana had plenty of Olympians in their 2012 Heroes & Legends sets, along with Olympic athletes appearing regularly in the "umbrella" sets like Goodwin Champions and A&G over this past decade, so there's definitely an active market for them.

Posts: 3327 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Not that it was ever cheap but watching an Emma Watson HP card on a true auction.

Currently at $1425, will be interesting to see where it ends.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Artbo...b:g:zMsAAOSwG1VgaNac

Posts: 4858 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had totally forgotten that DMX signed for Pop Century -- these are selling for $750+

This is clearly largely a result of his untimely passing.

Posts: 5417 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Topps made Olympic sets in 2012, 2014, 2016, 2018, and had a set planned for 2020, but they were delayed with the Games themselves.

Panini Americana had plenty of Olympians in their 2012 Heroes & Legends sets, along with Olympic athletes appearing regularly in the "umbrella" sets like Goodwin Champions and A&G over this past decade, so there's definitely an active market for them.

There is some market for everything and certainly there have been very popular Olympic stars, just look at the Wheaties boxes. That doesn't mean enough demand for a card set or that they sold well when they were made.

What was specifically mentioned was the 1992 Olympic cards, which were overproduced and were still available in sealed boxes for under $10 a couple of years ago. In that era of '91 - '92 the USA Basketball team were the stars because they were all pro players. Before that, in an earlier Olympics, the USA hockey team had some interest. Individual names of the time stayed known, like Jenner and Retton, and Hall of Fame Olympian cards on older athletes were made.

But to say that Olympic stars of that era on those .25 cent cards, probably centered on Michael Jordan's $3 cards, are now being graded and sold for hundreds of dollars, well that's just plain dumb.

Posts: 10401 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Ellen Page just sold for $483

Looks like they are currently dried up on ebay as well.

Correction looks like there is one in the $375 range.

Posts: 4858 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
It seems to me that if you look at any of say the top 5 autograph cards in any mainstream title product, including any incentives or exclusive autograph cards, they have almost all gone up from 2020 eBay prices. In some cases 25% - 50% higher. Mid range autographs of fine, but overlooked celebrities, have also moved into the higher tiers. I'm not sure how much of the increase is realized in the sold items, but the BINs have jumped up.

Despite all the people who have suffered financially from this COVID economy, there are plenty of people doing better than ever. I think that was mentioned somewhere else. I think it will prove to be a bubble only for those cards that really didn't deserve to be made that expensive in the first place. The best autograph cards in the set are always going to be the best autograph cards.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Olympics cards and other collectibles are a weird thing. A lot of people don't really care about the whole thing until the opening ceremonies and then they get excited and they learn all the names and their stories even hoping athletes in other countries win something when they learn about their lives. I think that's when people buy stuff and then interest dies down again and they start to forget most of the names after the closing ceremonies. Companies making the memorabilia have to be ready for that tight window. Some of the older stuff probably sells then too. People used to talk about collecting the souvenir pins.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Searched on eBay and graded examples of certain cards are selling for ~$500. Boxes are ~$150.

That's really dumb. No one ever wanted those Olympic cards, which is why they stopped making them. The only issues with any demand were of the USA Basketball team when Jordan and other pro stars were included and pictured. Those are probably the cards so hot to grade now.

Beside that, the only thing the Olympic cards were good for were when old time autograph collectors sent them out looking for TTM signatures. I picked up several from a collection years ago, including a Bruce Jenner autograph. Maybe I should send that in to slab. Big Grin

Posts: 4391 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:

Despite all the people who have suffered financially from this COVID economy, there are plenty of people doing better than ever.

Have to be honest, this thought has crossed my mind with several of the buying trends I have seen lately. Especially in something as useless as memorabilia collecting. Not that it isn't fun or I don't enjoy it but compared to big picture items....it's not a priority. A couple of years ago I started to make a final list of what I would like in my collection and then shut it down for awhile. I'm getting close to the end of my list.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
John Rhys Davies Lord of the Rings sold last month for $560.00

Another sold over a week ago for $943.00

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
You have to wonder about the future of the certified autograph card in the wake of these seemingly incredible jumps in prices. By that I mean celebrities, or certainly their agents, are aware of what their autograph cards are doing on eBay. It's how they adjust their asking prices for personal signings and appearances. When John Rhys Davies or his people, as an example, see his LotR card sell for $943, what would you imagine they do? Increase his asking fee of course, I would do the same thing in his place.

Sure its for the limited card, but the card needs his signature. The next card or photo offered, needs his signature. So why shouldn't he get more if the item is worth more? If the box that contains the item, or even just has a chance of containing the item, is now being sold for more? And then what will card makers who need contracts with these autograph signers for their products have to do to get them? What fee might his agent or anyone's agent want the next time they are approached for a set? How long before major manufacturers can't afford to pay the increases for any name celebrity who is watching these cards be sold for double and triple their prior highs?

If this phenomenon of "no price is too high" continues unabated, card makers are going to have trouble affording contracts for star signers of prestige or acquiring large autograph checklists that have anyone besides common signers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:

You have to wonder about the future of the certified autograph card in the wake of these seemingly incredible jumps in prices.

You never know they may go back to just making cards. Eek

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Have not seen a Hayek in awhile. $1410.00 on a true auction.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30399...5:g:QB0AAOSwgPZgmjC-

Not sure but looks like the Vin Diesel sigs from Chronicles of Riddick have dried up. Last three sold in the $400 range. There is one complete set of CoR autographs for sale at $900.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
That Hayek autograph was always tough to even find and ran around $700 - $800 many years ago. As her only certified signature and given the fact that many of the higher autograph cards have just seemed to have doubled since 2019, I'm not surprised by that auction. Of course the card is driven solely by her fans, since no demand is coming out of that Wild Wild West movie or set.

As for Diesel, he looked down and out for a long time before F&F brought him back. His Riddick autograph was also a tough card, but I do seem to remember it around $200 or less. I picked up 5 out of the 6 Chronicle of Riddick signatures very, very cheap. Naturally I didn't get Diesel. Going by the doubling, I could see his card at $400 easy, but $900 for the set when nothing much else warrants it doesn't seem that good, unless its the only way to find the Diesel.

posted Hide Post
A RDJ Iron Man costume autograph recently sold in an auction for $8300. It is PSA graded, but only graded an 8.

I have no idea if the grade impacted the price at all -- a PSA 8 doesn't seem like a grade that would impact the price, but who knows.

Item: 144042927174

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Have not seen a Hayek in awhile. $1410.00 on a true auction.

$1400 is insane for Hayek. Wow. It is a rare card. It seems that rare cards are finally getting some attention in the hobby.

Per PWCC (I am not sure how complete their archive is) the last Hayek to sell before this one was January 2020 at $338, before that was in 2018.

posted Hide Post
John Pound ANS4 GPK sketches have jumped in price.

114832926410 is at $260 with a day to go.

A year ago these were around $100, they jumped up to $200-300 in the later part of last year.

In 2019 they were $30-50.

The other Pound sketches from ANS4 have jumped in price too, but the 'Adam Bomb' sketches command the most.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
quote:
A RDJ Iron Man costume autograph recently sold in an auction for $8300. It is PSA graded, but only graded an 8.

I have no idea if the grade impacted the price at all -- a PSA 8 doesn't seem like a grade that would impact the price, but who knows.

Item: 144042927174

I looked that up.
61 bids, all private, of course, starting at $9.99.
That means E-Bay would take $838.80, leaving the seller, who has a feedback of over 295,000, with a net profit of $7549.20.
Not bad for a piece of cardboard.
Shipping was $45, why I don't know, it must have been sent in a gold-lined box.
Or possibly a VERY thick wooden box!
I am very curious about how to sell a card like that for that much money, and whether that profit is reported to certain tax agencies.
Just as a theoretical situation, of course!

Posts: 2505 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
I am very curious about how to sell a card like that for that much money, and whether that profit is reported to certain tax agencies.
Just as a theoretical situation, of course!

eBay has a record of the sale and the seller has to provide documentation to eBay, like tax ID and a bank account now. Which means its all traceable. Of course some may still try to fudge, but all the information is there for the IRS asking.

Not like when you could get a $50 table at a show, sell all you could for cash and not even give a receipt. Of course the customers probably weren't walking in with $8,300 in cash either. Big Grin