Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Cards that have significantly increased in value.
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 33
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cards that have significantly increased in value.
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A Bettie Page Private Collection BP-12 FOB promo (limited to 50) sold for $180.53 om 10-26-21.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
A Bettie Page Private Collection BP-12 FOB promo (limited to 50) sold for $180.53 om 10-26-21.

I saw this and quickly went to my Binder just to check I had it LOL

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Wow! Cloris Leachman just sold for $765 on a BIN.

Sale was a tailored bulk listing “for Jeff” that included 11 other autos, one of which is an Outer Limits Shatner which probably accounted for the majority of the sale price.

Ahh that makes it a bit more clear. I really should click on the auction sometimes. Wink Think I would have lead off with the Shatner card.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:

Oooh goody as i have a spare one of these. Smile

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
HELENA BONHAM CARTER

HARRY POTTER HALF-BLOOD PRINCE

$860.00 Sold Feb 6, 2022 Item: 304337409741
$671.00 Sold Jan 23, 2022 Item: 294730873322
$650.00 Sold Dec 2, 2021 Item: 124982143675

Looks like a BIN for $399 also sold on Christmas.

Merry Christmas on that one!

I turned down buying on of Carter's Potter autographs late last year for somewhere in the $300 range. Oops.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
What was the approximate value of this card before? I'm not sure I've seen it sell.

quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:

Oooh goody as i have a spare one of these. Smile

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
There is currently a Fleer Ultra Spider-Man Metal card #MM0 on eBay at $1200 with a day left in the auction. This is an ePack achievement that was selling for under $100 in the last 18 months.

This card ended up selling for $1261.
2 more were immediately listed ending at $710 and $655.

Fleer Ultra Spider-Man cards in general have been going crazy.

The base metal inserts that were inserted 1:2 packs can sell for $100.

Jambalaya inserts -- 1:72 can sell for $1500.

Low numbered PMGs of main characters can sell for over $10,000.

Other numbered inserts -- Royal Foil, Preserved Amber, etc -- can also sell for hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

Other older Marvel sets -- especially ones with serial numbered cards can sell for serious money. Spider-Man PMGs (Previous Metal Gems) have sold for upwards of $100,000.

The market is also extremely volatile -- if you are selling / trading these be sure to be up to the minute on values.

A few weeks ago I randomly get offered $900 for a Jambalaya card I have on ePack. I check comps and ~1 week earlier the card sold for $750. I turn the offer down. A week later the same Jambalaya sells for $1500. The market is BANANAS.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Super Bowl bump for Snoop Dogg? His last 2 Allen and Ginter autographs have sold for ~$1500.

Item: 334316551743

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
quote:
The market is BANANAS.

I know NSU is planned out months in advance, but sometimes I wish that there was some type of “market report” feature for stuff like what you just posted.

The hot lists are cool to look at and stuff about the various auction house sales of vintage boxes are nice, but having a short article about modern cards that are currently on the move (well, as current as a bi-monthly magazine can get) and on trends/news would be awesome to read, too.

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I guess what you're asking for is some market analysis like on the cable business shows because NSU does report recent sales in the "Non-Sport News" near the front and in the Hot Lists near the back. You get some of that here on Card Talk - notes on where a card was some time ago and what it just sold for and you can do a search on the site for previous mentions of cards that are hot now.

quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:
quote:
The market is BANANAS.

I know NSU is planned out months in advance, but sometimes I wish that there was some type of “market report” feature for stuff like what you just posted.

The hot lists are cool to look at and stuff about the various auction house sales of vintage boxes are nice, but having a short article about modern cards that are currently on the move (well, as current as a bi-monthly magazine can get) and on trends/news would be awesome to read, too.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:

I like to read all opinions about the non-sport card market, but of course they are only opinions based on moving targets. The more you know about cards and their pricing these days, the less consistent anything is. There are too many different factors and wild swings between like sales that throw everything off. You can try to make sense of it, until sense goes out the window.

And you know, someone always comes up with a reason why. Sometimes its the same exact reason to explain why the card sold for more, as it is why the card sold for less. Big Grin

NSU has never taken really hard stands on any hobby trends. It's not their job. They promote new card releases, provide hot sales data, talk about vintage products, have some articles about people in the industry, give mild advice and put out a price guide supplement.

They don't take sides or get behind anyone, as that could cause problems. Just look at the blowback it causes on Card Talk sometimes. Wink

Maybe you should start a thread in the NSU section if you really wanted to discuss it, as its off topic here.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
There is currently a Fleer Ultra Spider-Man Metal card #MM0 on eBay at $1200 with a day left in the auction. This is an ePack achievement that was selling for under $100 in the last 18 months.

Another one of these sold yesterday -- the downward trend continues as this one 'only' brought $510.

2/20/22 $510 325049014587
2/13/22 $655 234403911732
2/13/22 $710 234403912124
2/03/22 $1261 234387491567
1/24/22 $350 403421774340
1/23/22 $415 144341667509
1/23/22 $395 165290646043
1/21/22 $257 234373311589
1/21/22 $266 234333746362
12/1/22 $175 373810665716

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I like the info that Wejon is passing on. I thought it might be neat to have something similar in the pages of NSU. Something a little different than the tried and true that might help attract some new readership.

quote:
I guess what you're asking for is some market analysis like on the cable business shows because NSU does report recent sales in the "Non-Sport News" near the front and in the Hot Lists near the back. You get some of that here on Card Talk - notes on where a card was some time ago and what it just sold for and you can do a search on the site for previous mentions of cards that are hot now.

quote:
quote:
The market is BANANAS.

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought it might be neat to have something similar in the pages of NSU.

It's a lot of work to compile this sort of information regularly and on deadline. Beckett would have to pay for someone to do it probably, and that means those dollars aren't available for something else.

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
It's a lot of work to compile this sort of information regularly and on deadline.

Very true. That’s why I appreciate Webjon’s contributions here Thumb Up

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Just look at the blowback it causes on Card Talk sometimes. Wink

Maybe you should start a thread in the NSU section if you really wanted to discuss it, as its off topic here.

That is so on target! But that thread probably wouldn’t be too popular Smile

Back to the topic, anyone notice the 2013 Marvel Fleer Retro Green Precious Metal Gem (that’s numbered to 10) that sold on Goldin Auctions for $255,000?!? Eek

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
It's a lot of work to compile this sort of information regularly and on deadline.

Very true. That’s why I appreciate Webjon’s contributions here Thumb Up

Thanks!

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Just look at the blowback it causes on Card Talk sometimes. Wink

That is so on target! But that thread probably wouldn’t be too popular Smile

Back to the topic, anyone notice the 2013 Marvel Fleer Retro Green Precious Metal Gem (that’s numbered to 10) that sold on Goldin Auctions for $255,000?!? Eek

Dropped by to post about this -- insanity.

If you happen to be sitting on some of these cards you could do very well for yourself.

Obviously these buyers are not traditional entertainment card collectors -- so I wonder what this means long term.

Clearly once you hit the price of a Lamborghini the average collector is out, so the only way this would sell for more would be to another 'investor.' I personally just don't see it lasting, but I have no idea what the motivation of these investors is.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A few years ago, we were talking about why Mickey Mantle's rookie card (or his cards in general) was valued so high. One sold for $5.2 million about a year ago. A few wondered why some much more rare non-sports cards weren't even close. A card #1 from the 1959 Fleer Three Stooges set sold for not quite $50K. Can it be that rare non-sports cards are, for now, the collectibles of choice for the wealthy bored with watches, artifacts, and artwork? Just like baseball cards, several of them can display well in a Wunderkammer aka Cabinet of Curiosities (a mix of impressive collectibles/notable objects). It was a popular thing in the 19th century and it seems to have been a big thing in some circles from time to time since. Sometimes, it's a room full of items.

posted Hide Post
quote:
A few years ago, we were talking about why Mickey Mantle's rookie card (or his cards in general) was valued so high. One sold for $5.2 million about a year ago. A few wondered why some much more rare non-sports cards weren't even close. A card #1 from the 1959 Fleer Three Stooges set sold for not quite $50K. Can it be that rare non-sports cards are, for now, the collectibles of choice for the wealthy bored with watches, artifacts, and artwork? Just like baseball cards, several of them can display well in a Wunderkammer aka Cabinet of Curiosities (a mix of impressive collectibles/notable objects). It was a popular thing in the 19th century and it seems to have been a big thing in some circles from time to time since. Sometimes, it's a room full of items.

I have a lot of thoughts about this, and I don't know that I can easily organize them.

It seems to be that the people pushing these prices are sports card collectors. I don't think PMGs really moved the needle for non-sport people. My guess is that sports card 'investors' ran out of easy money opportunities. PMGs in sports cards can be huge money. I think these investors (infestors) came in to entertainment PMGs because they were cheap. Then they started pumping up how rare entertainment PMGs are, how Spider-Man is the non-sport GOAT, comparable to the popularity of the biggest sports stars. The bragging, and 'pumping' the cards caused other somewhat related entertainment cards to rise in price.

There are oddities though -- the FUSM Marvel Metal cards sell for about 10x what similar FUSM Ex-Century cards sell for -- when the Ex-Century cards are more rare. It seems the 'investors' are very precise in what they are targeting.

Back to where I started -- the PMGs didn't really move the needle for entertainment card collectors. I don't think most people in this hobby would consider the PMGs iconic in any way -- I honestly couldn't even tell you what the 2013 PMGs, or 2015 PMGs for that matter look like. This isn't at all like the 1952 Mantle card, which I've seen so many times and is so iconic I can visualize it in my head despite not collecting sports cards.

While other 'investors' may be wowed with these PMGs -- I don't think most collectors would be. I'd be more wowed by an Amazing Fantasy #15, or an Amazing Spider-Man #1. Those are so iconic I assume everyone on this board knows what I'm referring to, and can visualize them in their heads even if you aren't comic book collectors. From a card standpoint I'd be much more wowed by many cards that are far less expensive.

Who knows where this all goes, but at these prices investors can only sell to other investors and I am not sure that is sustainable.