Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Cards that have significantly increased in value.
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 33
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cards that have significantly increased in value.
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That's probably true but her time on the TV version of "Fargo" a few years ago got noticed and was well-regarded. I think she's still going to get work.

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Dunst will always be best known for the 3 Spider-Man films.

Looking at her IMDB filmography, she hasn't done any movies after 2007 that your average person has heard of or has seen

Plus she will be 40 in early 2022, so unfortunately, by Hollywood standards, she is someone whose ship has sailed and has been replaced by younger stars.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
In this case the forty and done isn't a good rule to try and apply. Dunst is a decent actress and may find noteworthy roles even as her character age group changes. It's the actresses who get work only because of their looks who have an early expiration date.

And that's really shallow and sexist thinking, but it hasn't changed over all the years and it also includes certain male actors, not merely as a Hollywood standard. Good looks is what the public responds to in celebrities, so they are just giving the people what they want. The autograph card prices are driven by that same kind of demand for a slew of people you could name if you wanted to be mean.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
That's probably true but her time on the TV version of "Fargo" a few years ago got noticed and was well-regarded. I think she's still going to get work.

quote:

Looking at her IMDB filmography, she hasn't done any movies after 2007 that your average person has heard of or has seen

Plus she will be 40 in early 2022, so unfortunately, by Hollywood standards, she is someone whose ship has sailed and has been replaced by younger stars.

It is the dark ages for women in film, but it’s the golden ages for women on television. I wouldn’t count her out yet. She has grown from the role of “girlfriend of”. I can see her doing TV and doing well.

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
In this case the forty and done isn't a good rule to try and apply. Dunst is a decent actress and may find noteworthy roles even as her character age group changes. It's the actresses who get work only because of their looks who have an early expiration date.

And that's really shallow and sexist thinking, but it hasn't changed over all the years and it also includes certain male actors, not merely as a Hollywood standard. Good looks is what the public responds to in celebrities, so they are just giving the people what they want. The autograph card prices are driven by that same kind of demand for a slew of people you could name if you wanted to be mean.

Brava!

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/38441...3:g:gWoAAOSwefphVNYN

RJ Mitte Breaking Bad $1580???

Then there is this!!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/37376...Ad02DAizdOW6ynXDbrQM

Anyone got any explanations? I sure dont.

The RJ Mitte auto ending today is up to $50,100 with just over six hours to go. 70 bids but only six bidders. Exactly what's the scam here? Shill bid a few copies of the card to absurd prices and hope the "real" price/value increases?

Posts: 62 | Location: The World | Registered: August 03, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
No matter how old Kirsten Dunst gets, she'll always be 20 years younger than I am.

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Johnson:

The RJ Mitte auto ending today is up to $50,100 with just over six hours to go. 70 bids but only six bidders. Exactly what's the scam here? Shill bid a few copies of the card to absurd prices and hope the "real" price/value increases?

My only problem with the shill bid theory is that it would be too obvious. But you are right, value should come from somewhere and I don't see it. Maybe we are just out of the Mitte loop. Wink

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

My only problem with the shill bid theory is that it would be too obvious. But you are right, value should come from somewhere and I don't see it. Maybe we are just out of the Mitte loop. Wink

I'm not sure what the scam is, but both of those crazy priced RJ Mitte autographs are literally for the same card -- the PSA serial numbers match. It apparently wasn't scammed hard enough at $1500, so they went back for $50K.

Perhaps people know the consignor and are making a statement of some sort. . .

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well to compound the thing, that Mitte autograph card is graded an 8. An 8 on such a new card would garner less money than the same card raw. No one wants an 8 on cards that should be pack fresh.

Whatever may be going on, I don't know why eBay doesn't just close it down? This price level for that card is just too outstanding to be explainable. Just throw everyone off and let them complain. They probably won't. Wink

BTW, I just wanted to look again, and I don't see it on anymore. - Wrong, still there. must have used a different search. Smile

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/38441...3:g:gWoAAOSwefphVNYN

RJ Mitte Breaking Bad $1580???

Then there is this!!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/37376...Ad02DAizdOW6ynXDbrQM

Anyone got any explanations? I sure dont.

This is just a couple people screwing with either Probstein or the owner of the card.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ifish73:
This is just a couple people screwing with either Probstein or the owner of the card.

I'll agree with you, but again why not close it down? Either the platform, or the owner or eBay should just say WTF and end it. Maybe they just like the publicity of us talking about it, but it's almost over anyway. And will there be payment? Razz

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Justin Bieber Fans of the Game autograph sold for $611: 373763120664

I may be wrong, but I can't think of any other non-sport Fans of the Game autos who have come near that price.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
All of a sudden there are JR Mitte cards for sale....imagine that!

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Like I said, it is unfortunate that in Hollywood today, age really counts against an actor. But as was pointed out, many folks move to TV.

I may be dating myself, but that is what happened to 1980s stars such as Molly Ringwald, Jami Gertz, Daphne Zuniga, Mary Stuart Masterson, etc. By the mid to late 1990s, when they were only in their 30s, the movie roles dried up and they transitioned to TV.

Even Julia Roberts, who was one of the biggest stars of the 1990s and early 2000s has moved on to TV. She is now 54, I believe.

quote:

quote:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tommy C,

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Even Julia Roberts, who was one of the biggest stars of the 1990s and early 2000s has moved on to TV. She is now 54, I believe.
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Julia Roberts is the posterchild for your point, but she was successful enough not to have to care about it now. Others were not so lucky.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
So RJ Mitte (same card) sold for:

$1580 + $4 shipping
$50,100 + $12 shipping
and finally
$104.50 + $50 shipping

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I saw Dunst on a couple of late night talk shows last week. She's in a movie coming out, "Power of the Dog," that is already getting great reviews with some saying that both she and the film deserve to be nominated for Oscars.

quote:
Originally posted by Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane:
quote:

quote:

It is the dark ages for women in film, but it’s the golden ages for women on television. I wouldn’t count her out yet. She has grown from the role of “girlfriend of”. I can see her doing TV and doing well.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
According to Wikipedia, "The Power of the Dog" had a limited release in November.

It cost 30 to 39 M to make, and has so far grossed less than $ 200,000...

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I saw Dunst on a couple of late night talk shows last week. She's in a movie coming out, "Power of the Dog," that is already getting great reviews with some saying that both she and the film deserve to be nominated for Oscars.

Hey Jess,

That's another end-of-the-year prestige film. It goes to Netflix next month. I don't think it has to do much commercially for anybody because it's heavy slog drama and they only want the awards. The story sounds dreadful to me, but hey, both Dunst and Cumberbatch may well get nominated. Many actors with non-sport autograph cards will be up this year for Oscars for lots of pictures nobody's seen, but that's how you know they are good actors. Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
The actors got paid, the producers made money.
Netflix is simply curating movies for its subscribers, and even 40 million is nothing to them for anything with name actors. I'll definitely watch this one.

https://variety.com/2019/film/...-the-dog-1203229379/

It's from Jane Campion, who already directed Holly Hunter and Anna Paquin to Oscars, so good luck to Dunst*. I see her husband Jesse Plemons is in it. I think they met on "Fargo".

(*I heard Frances McDormand might have another winning performance incoming. If she ever gets 4, that ties her with Kate Hepburn for the most, rare air indeed. If Daniel Day-Lewis ever comes out of retirement, I could see him getting there. Nicholson had a shot, but that seems to have ended with his retirement 10+ years ago.)

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post