Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Cards that have significantly increased in value.
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 33
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cards that have significantly increased in value.
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
A Thor PMG sold for over $300 yesterday: 373946284975.

This is especially stupid because the card can be bought on COMC for $60.

Got to ask, because I keep seeing it over on Blowout, and I genuinely have no idea... what is a 'PMG'?

PMG is short for Precious Metal Gems, which is a type of chase card that seems to originated in Basketball cards and has become extremely popular. Marvel cards started using the chase type around 2013.

https://www.comc.com/Cards/Mar...=precious+metal+gems

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
Forgive me if this was already noted before, but the 2011 Topps American Pie card with Kanye West & Taylor Swift is consistently pulling $100+. Wasn't this a 25¢ card for the last decade?

Oh that's nothing. Take a look at the prices they are posting for that same BASE card graded as a 9 or 10. Its $2,500 and $5,000. Roll Eyes

Oh, excuse me, the $5,000 is for the Foil parallel. Wink

It is of course the Kanye and Swift rookie card, so that explains it. Razz

Seriously, you would have to be a fool to pay more than a couple of bucks for that BASE card. This isn't even a bubble, for some cards like this one, it's just nuts. A few years ago I wouldn't have believed it!

Mine sold at auction last night for $152! Eek

Not bad for a card I had entirely forgotten about - I'm just glad I never tossed it!

Hang onto your cards, kids. Big Grin

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Really don't know what to say Eek . When I saw this I thought I had got some of these cards a year or so after they came out . I found a post from 14th August 2012 in the " best ebay find " topic in Card talks Greatest Hits .

I got a full 200 card base set , over 100 assorted chase cards , and eight memorabilia cards for $60 including shipping !

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple-Frog:
Really don't know what to say Eek . When I saw this I thought I had got some of these cards a year or so after they came out . I found a post from 14th August 2012 in the " best ebay find " topic in Card talks Greatest Hits .

I got a full 200 card base set , over 100 assorted chase cards , and eight memorabilia cards for $60 including shipping !

well in that case that makes you a millionaire. Bouncey

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1992 Skybox X-Men Jim Lee autograph card (Wolverine) $1250: 165325001474

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wow, the seller wanted a lot more at first and came way down to make the deal. According to Allender, there are only 100 of the autographed cards (various numbers) which are more of the design of the promos/prototypes from the 5-card cello-pack - different from the base cards of the same numbers. I saw another card that was numbered out of 100 but this one isn't (might be just a "show special" autograph).. This one has a stamp that I hadn't heard about and is not mentioned in the Allender listing. I'll leave it to someone more familiar with these to comment further.

quote:
1992 Skybox X-Men Jim Lee autograph card (Wolverine) $1250: 165325001474

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by catskilleagle:
This one has a stamp that I hadn't heard about and is not mentioned in the Allender listing. I'll leave it to someone more familiar with these to comment further.

Hey Jess,

I have about 8 signed Jim Lee cards from the period when they were plentiful. Only one is truly an officially certified card, not X-Men, although I believe all to have genuine signatures. Two of them have COAs from a comic store, probably long gone. They also were affixed with embossed seals from the store's own crimper and put in holders.

Because comic artists were signing cards at numerous store appearances, and because their inserted signed cards might not have been well identified, you really do need someone who was collecting/selling them at the time to distinguish between some of them.

A pack inserted signature is always going to be preferred to one from a personal appearance, assuming demand for that artist. In this case it's as much the Wolverine image as his autograph, but it's still a lot of money for something that's probably been gathering dust until the last couple of years.

Posts: 10379 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hey Raven,

One of my go-to references is Amalia Barrios' excellent website devoted to Marvel cards. She's also a really nice person who helped one of us with a big deal last year. Here's the page that shows you the differences between the #14 base card and the promo/prototype variant that has an almost identical back. The quick distinguishing mark is that the trademark symbol, TM, next to the Marvel logo at the lower left is red on the base card and black on the promo. The promo came from a 5-card pack that wasn't too hard to find even 5-6 years ago and it was maybe $5-10. Now, you're lucky if you can find it for $20-30 (a couple of packs sold for that about this time last year). All the cards in the pack looked like base cards but they had the black TM.

Jess

http://abs-cards.net/checklists/index.html

You need to scroll down the the promos section and click on the highlighted "Storm" to see the cards.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by catskilleagle:
This one has a stamp that I hadn't heard about and is not mentioned in the Allender listing. I'll leave it to someone more familiar with these to comment further.

Hey Jess,

I have about 8 signed Jim Lee cards from the period when they were plentiful. Only one is truly an officially certified card, not X-Men, although I believe all to have genuine signatures. Two of them have COAs from a comic store, probably long gone. They also were affixed with embossed seals from the store's own crimper and put in holders.

Because comic artists were signing cards at numerous store appearances, and because their inserted signed cards might not have been well identified, you really do need someone who was collecting/selling them at the time to distinguish between some of them.

A pack inserted signature is always going to be preferred to one from a personal appearance, assuming demand for that artist. In this case it's as much the Wolverine image as his autograph, but it's still a lot of money for something that's probably been gathering dust until the last couple of years.

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just saw a post on Facebook where a buyer was very excited to buy a Marvel Masterpieces 2007 Spider-Man holofoil for $120.

NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just saw a post on Facebook where a buyer was very excited to buy a Marvel Masterpieces 2007 Spider-Man holofoil for $120.

And you can still buy the entire set for $150. Big Grin

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Another fun one!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/11515...c:g:uAMAAOSwKD5hxr~8

Maybe someone who knows better than I do. Looking at the corners and edges is this really a 9.0? I guess HGA is the new kid trying to money grab some of the current grading madness.

"Consistent, unbiased, and non-subjective grading." Seems a bit redundant.

Posts: 4848 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Another fun one!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/11515...c:g:uAMAAOSwKD5hxr~8

Maybe someone who knows better than I do. Looking at the corners and edges is this really a 9.0? I guess HGA is the new kid trying to money grab some of the current grading madness.

"Consistent, unbiased, and non-subjective grading." Seems a bit redundant.

I'm not sure if HGA is supposed to be a well known grader or not, but I haven't seen that label before. Of course I don't look at graded cards.

The card has edge and corner damage that you can see even on the limited photo, but it's also a 9, which means they took deductions. Whether it would have had more deductions at PSA or Beckett I wouldn't know. It's a really nice card and I would be happy to have it ungraded, but let's just forget about that price.

The only thing off about the label to me is that they have specified 4 areas of grading and only three of them come out as 9s. The edges are 8.5. I'm no math wiz, but that that doesn't make for an overall 9, because the 8.5 drags it down. They rounded up to a 9, but it could just as well be an 8.5 to me and the conservative grade is usually more accurate.

I see that this same card sold on March 13th for $760 ungraded. Maybe someone could explain on what basis this graded 9 would earn a premium that jumped it to $56,999.99? I know some sellers are just looking for a big fish to bite, but doesn't it cost something to post an item with a BIN that high? Can you pick any fantasy price and just leave it, or is it all about making other sellers of similar items look like bargains in comparison?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10379 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Last 3 Hailee Steinfeld autograph cards

2 sold in Jan and Feb at $700+
1 sold in Mar on a $500 BIN

Posts: 4848 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Spongebob Paul T sketch $550:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-...rksid=p2047675.l2557

Not sure if this is related to being graded -- I don't see any others for sale or any recent sales.

Sponge Bob sketch sold for a Best Offer of $395 -- sold VERY fast.
May have gone higher if they waited.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
According to Jeff Allendar's site, the 2009 Sponge Bob sketches were about 1 per 6.2 boxes of the retail cards.

Are they that difficult to find ?

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, Spongebob sketches are tough. If memory serves they were only sold at Target.

That said when they first came out they weren't expensive -- sketches could be found for under $20.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
On Spongebob, someone on ebay is offering a common card # 55 from the set for $ 38.00 and another seller has base card # 77 for almost $ 75.00

What gives ? Is something rare about these cards ?

Search by Spongebob Topps to see the auctions

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
One of the Donald Trump autos in the Comic Images Apprentice set sold for $ 1225.00 in February. 57 bids.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cardscout182
posted Hide Post
please excuse if this has come up before... a recent online search in the last 2 weeks has shown some interesting finds that have REALLY increased in value.
Namely, Vampire Diaries season 1 P5 for $230
Serenity Movie Promo SSD-2004 $288
and fringe Season 5 P3 Frog promo was going for $347.50. I'll have to start listing some of my spares...
anyone know or heard about card shops making a resurgence with the increasing value in cards..?

Posts: 707 | Location: sydney nsw australia | Registered: February 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Been watching the Topps 75th Anniversary diamond set. Not only are they drying up but prices are moving up.

Still need to find Mars Attacks and Wacky packages to complete my set.